Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just a quick note that it took me 30 minutes to splice and solder the wiring in. The T connector does make it very easy! Thanks again for supplying the kit Mike, and it’s cool how the mirrors now fold in and I know when the car is locked!

Biggest hassle was getting the trim off, then back on with the controller under the door handle.

Thanks again Mike!

Pete

Do I read correctly that your difficulty was when you replaced the door liner with the the Po-40 module positioned under the door handle area? Pretty tight fit there!!!

The ideal spot is under the arm rest. Replace the door liner with the Po-40 control module disconnected and the harness accessible through the hole for the window/mirror control assembly. After the liner is secure on the door, reconnect the Po-40 control module to the harness and slip it in behind the arm rest. (there is a pictorial in the installation manual)

Yes, once the novelty wears off, the enduring utility is the ability to know from distance that "indeed, the car IS locked."

Michael (MichaelR@ashpoint.com.au)

Do I read correctly that your difficulty was when you replaced the door liner with the the Po-40 module positioned under the door handle area? Pretty tight fit there!!!

The ideal spot is under the arm rest. Replace the door liner with the Po-40 control module disconnected and the harness accessible through the hole for the window/mirror control assembly. After the liner is secure on the door, reconnect the Po-40 control module to the harness and slip it in behind the arm rest. (there is a pictorial in the installation manual)

Yes, once the novelty wears off, the enduring utility is the ability to know from distance that "indeed, the car IS locked."

Michael (MichaelR@ashpoint.com.au)

Yep, that's where i finally put it :) Main challenge was getting the door trim lined up and on without knocking off the plastic securing plugs. I had to replace all four door trimes (because of teh softening plastic issue) so had an extra long day removing and replacing!

Novelty hasnt worn off yet!

• 1 month later...

lebon, this is a pretty straightforward DIY job. I did my 220d when I was 71 and so if I can do it, anyone can. It comes with very explanatory notes/guidance and Michael and Mr P are on the other end of 'Messenger' if you need them.

It is not quite is simple as the earlier installations Geoff!

My son and I installed the Po-40 Folding Mirror Kit into our first version of this car some months ago. Unfortunately the car happened to belong to my ex-wife and it's now no longer accessible to me <sad>. Whilst we were able to map the connections, we didn't get any photographs of value that would enable me to create an Installation Manual of the quality you would be expecting of a commercial product.

I do have a working document that covers the installation but I consider it as "under construction" pending further work.

I don't think this is a job for an amateur DYI and would prefer to restrict the sale to competent folk and/or auto electricians until we have built up a history on the car. This means that Lebon is going to have to consider the trady's price for installation (1-2hours @ £££?) as a compelling reason to take a pass on the kit.

I'm rather hoping that the next several installations will be done with me being on-site (in Sydney) and/or via Skype.

Whilst we have yet to discover a Po-40 Folding Mirror Kit that has failed in service, the owner needs to bear in mind warranty issues in fitting our kit into your shiny new car.

Michael

PS: Geoff, I recall with considerable pleasure, your installation (hard to believe that was nearly 3 years ago). You never recover from that warm inner glow when you've "done it myself!"

How lovely to hear from you again Michael, I'm glad that you took the time to come in oon this, I would have hated to set lebon on the road to disaster!!

Hope you are keeping well Michael, it must be Autumn time for you now whilst we are looking forward to Spring and hopefully an Ozzy type summer. Best wishes my friend.

I feel left out in all of this. I purchased the kit..errmmm, probably well over a year ago now and it is STILL sat in the boot of my car along with a printout of the guide, some heat shrink tubing AND a soldering iron!! :innocent: I don't use my boot often...can you guess?!! :whistling:

I really have must get it sorted. Michael...I wonder if we can sort something out over Skype and I could take further pictures ;)

The 1st thing you can do is easy: Send me your email address so I can make sure that you have the latest copy of the installation manual.

The 2nd thing you can do is equally easy: Go to the car and lift the windows/mirror Control Panel on the driver door and count the number of wires going into the top connector (we call it connector A). Let me know the count.

A Skype connection is rather convenient at the moment at least until we each reverse the summertime settings. 6 am here (Sydney) is 7 pm your time. Look for me in the Skype directory as Ashpoint Sydney.

Between us we will get rid of the cobwebs in your boot/trunk :)

Best regards,

Michael

• 3 months later...

Nine Nine pins in Connector A means that I have good news and bad news for you.

The good news is that you will be able to use the T-quick harness. The T-quick harness means that you will only have to merge three wires for the whole job. You will find there is a plug and socket on the harness which receives and replaces the existing nine pin plug. All the magic wiring changes are done inside the harness and almost guarantees a 100% error free installation..

The bad news is that I don't believe I have any inventory of the T-quick harness in my UK storage. (I will ask them). This means I'll have to send you the Po-40 Folding Mirror Kit from Sydney which will take 7-10 working days as against almost next day delivery from London.

Prices the same as previously quoted.

I believe you've already had a copy of the installation manual and you will be able to read about the T-quick harness in that manual.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Best regards from Down Under (Sydney, Australia),
Michael

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone!

An another happy and satisfied Po-40 customer here!
I ordered a kit from Michael. The parcel has arrived in 6 six days.
Installing into the car was pretty straightforward. The first time didn't work, but with Michael help I can locate the problem and now everything is perfect!

Peter

• 3 months later...

This looks great - I will definitely place an order in the next few weeks.

I know everyone says this is easy but I'd much rather a professional auto electrician installs this for me - does anyone know how much an auto electrician would charge for a job like this?

Probably quite expensive for what is involved.  When these kits were first available they were for the 220d, I was the first to fit one in a 250 and the wiring was quite different and when I came to fit it, I had to liaise with Michael and the manufacturer via the internet and very early in the morning because of the time difference but, it all went very smoothly and the kit worked a treat. Obviously the wiring is all sorted and is now absolutely straightforward.

Michael is an extremely helpful chap and is always available via email if you need him.  I can honestly say that it really is a doddle to do. Doing mine was a little more difficult because of the need to change the wiring, I had to keep on running outside to get multimeter readings and then pass the info to Michael and Mr P I think he was called, we had a three-way communication going but, it was all done in an hour.  The wiring diagrams were updated for the 250 and all is now very easy to do.

Go on, give it a go.  You will get much satisfaction when completed.

Geoff, you're going to have to stop saying how easy the job is <grin> I recall that the <Lock> <Unlock> wires were different in the diesel models.

Actually on a scale of 0 to 10, I rate getting the door liner off at 7 and wiring of the mirror harness at a 5.5!.

Here in Australia I have one dealership that will install the Po-40 Folding Mirror Kit for you and one or two of the enthusiasts in each city can usually be relied on to offer assistance as well.  Commercially most our auto electricians are charging about two hours to do the installation.  I used to be able to do an installation in about 45 minutes.

The forum is not capable of accepting the installation manual but if you send me an email address (to MichaelR@ashpoint.com.au) I can send you the sheets that will enable you to work out whether it's in your capability or not.  I'm pretty sure you can rustle up a friend who will give you some moral courage and work shoulder to shoulder with you.

At the end of the process you will get that warm inner glow that comes with doing something difficult all by yourself.

Best wishes from Down Under
Michael

• Like 1

Geoff, I totally understand that feeling of satisfaction when you do something yourself and it turns out well. When it comes to cars, especially one I use day to day, I prefer to leave it to the pros and yes I do pay for the privilege but I get satisfaction from knowing the work has been done professionally and to the correct standards - always good when you want to sell the car and can produce these receipts/certificates. :smile:

Cheers  Michael, I'll drop you a line soon and make some enquiries with auto electricians - However I will read the guide and see if it is something I'd be comfortable with undertaking. :tongue:

• 2 months later...

Yes, the Po-40 Folding Mirror Kit is still available at $AUD101 post paid to European cities. Transit time from Sydney to London,, Paris, etc seems to fluctuate between 6-10 work days.  Be aware that in some areas, there could be an import duty applied that you need to budget for. Some postal areas seem to be more aggressive collecting the duty than others -  bit of a lottery there! 

The Po-40 comprises a universal module and a wiring harness.  The module works in many cars from the Ford Ranger to the Camry, Lexus, and many more.  The harness is the link to the universal requirements of the car and module.

I don't wish to stray from the ideals of the forum by discussing commercial issues, so if you want additional information (install sheets, how to pay, how it works, etc) - send me an email (MichaelR@ashpoint.com.au) and I can send the "stuff" to you.

Best regards from down Under (Sydney, Australia)

Michael

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links