Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ls400 Mk 4 - Traction Control Question (+Leaky Boot Fix)

Looks like I am going to have to get rid of my Mk3 LS400, and seems like Mk 4 is the choice.

Also reading posts, it appears that the 4 has Traction control.

Question - Are there any problems with the traction control system, or do I need not worry and just look for what appears to the best of the LS400 range.

By the way, not interested in 430, far too many gadgets, I just need a quite well put together Jap Tank so long as it has a radio and a boot big enough for all the holiday suitcases.

Is there any thing on the Mk 4 that need to keep an eye an eye out for when buying.

Any comments appreciated, and is it my imagination or does eBay seem to have more reasonable deals on LS400 then there was a few years back.

Any thoughts on where, other than eBay, there are no Mk4's on this forum that are up for sale :unsure:

PS: Leaky boot syndrome - I just hoiked out the old seal off, widened the channel (its a metal that can be pushed back), cleaned it out good and proper, and then B&Q silicon and then refit - used pincers to gently compress back on, and no more water in boot. Cost about £5 and time about 1 hour. :geek:

Hi Pete

The Mark 4 is is the obvious upgrade choice - i made the same choice couple of years ago - initially due to the Mark 4 having electronic throttle control (which is more sensitive than the Mark 3) I did find the car very light and didnt feel as substantial as the Mark 3 - but over time you get used to this.

Theres no reports on any issues on the traction control so you should be ok there and to be honest i dont think ive ever witnessed it working on my car.

Obvious upgrades/advantages are

VVTi better engine which is marginly better on fuel

Xenon head lamps

Touch screen controls - looks good in the car

SAT NAV - never had the chance to use it but it does have its limitations

Seats are softer and dont suffer from failed heated elements like the Mark 3

Things to look out for:

Failing bonnet struts

Water ingress in the boot - check the spare wheel well

Make sure you have 2 master keys plus the grey vanity key and remotes work

Failng Temp/Time LCD backlights - requires alot of dismantleing of the centre console to fix

Make sure ride is smooth and no suspension noises

If your going for the DHP model which has stiffer suspension then i think tyres are very expensive on that

Full service history is a must but can be rare given the age of the car but make sure the cambelt has been changed as thats a big and expensive job - also if the gearbox oil has been changed then thats a plus becuase often its over looked.

The cabin filter is often overlooked so check airflow in the cabin

check all electrics work.

Make sure no dash warning lights are on - often you will find brake pad lights on as the sensor has a broken link or the headlamp low warning light on - both of these are simple fixes

I think you will find theres plenty of high milers out there with patchy history so it may take a bit of time and patience - i looked for 18 months before i found the perfect one as i wanted the wood steering.

You are right about the LS430 - in my opinion the LS400 is more reliable and simpler to fix

all the best

No issues with traction control, now in the winter it does activate all the time since I drive in Finland where is lot of snow and ice, but it does work quite nicely. It does however make a little bit noise in the rear, because it is using car rear brakes to (try) to keep the traction.

Also the vehicle stabilization works quite nicely as well, so you really cannot get the car too much sideways before computers take over. The good thing is still that you can do a little bit of car control with the throttle if needed.

Good system and definitely good in the winter.

Why is the Mk3 going ?

Malc

Well about to overtake a truck last night - it was doing 15mph, I had 300 yards of straight road, pulled out to check, and then foot down, and must have been oil or muck on road and the beast tailspun, touched a wall at rear, and then hit a 3 foot post as I recovered from trying not to go under the trailer of the truck.

So it is driveable, but in need of serious repair, so thought time to spend £2K - £3K on a Mk 4. A shame for the Mk3, mainly okay, but getting suspension clunk and the drivers seat heater just stopped working.

At least I'm okay, and lot to be said for driving a tank, and 500 yards further on someone had upended a Picasso, so it was not just me and next time we get a smidgeon of rain I am not just gonna chill out of that stretch of road.

Hi Pete

The Mark 4 is is the obvious upgrade choice - i made the same choice couple of years ago - initially due to the Mark 4 having electronic throttle control (which is more sensitive than the Mark 3) I did find the car very light and didnt feel as substantial as the Mark 3 - but over time you get used to this.

Theres no reports on any issues on the traction control so you should be ok there and to be honest i dont think ive ever witnessed it working on my car.

Xenon head lamps

Things to look out for:

Failing bonnet struts

Failng Temp/Time LCD backlights - requires alot of dismantleing of the centre console to fix

If your going for the DHP model which has stiffer suspension then i think tyres are very expensive on that

Full service history is a must but can be rare given the age of the car but make sure the cambelt has been changed as thats a big and expensive job - also if the gearbox oil has been changed then thats a plus becuase often its over looked.

Make sure no dash warning lights are on - often you will find brake pad lights on as the sensor has a broken link or the headlamp low warning light on - both of these are simple fixes

I think you will find theres plenty of high milers out there with patchy history so it may take a bit of time and patience - i looked for 18 months before i found the perfect one as i wanted the wood steering.

You are right about the LS430 - in my opinion the LS400 is more reliable and simpler to fix

all the best

mark - saw your comments on another posting, and seems like the Mk 4 has some of the problemsthe Mk3 had. I have been living with suspension noise for over 4 years, so would be nice to have silence again.

Sat Nav and all that stuff is no bother, only got seriously lost once in 30 years of driving and that was in the days before mobile phones, let alone Sat Nav.

It seems the Mk4 still has the cassette system, which is a plus for me.

By the way, how do I know it has the DHP suspension.

I have found one that says it has full service, just had new brakes and new cam belt, so will be calling the chap tomorrow, and maybe go see.

Thanks for your comments,

Cheers

Sad then, another beast bites the dust but at least you're OK, shaken not stirred and getting another steel overcoat around you for protection.

Good that we like these monsters eh ! Might be juicy on fuel but at least you know you'll probably be ok when this sort of trauma arises.

Malc

Hi Pete

Xenon head lamps

Things to look out for:

Failing bonnet struts

all the best

mark - saw your comments on another posting, and seems like the Mk 4 has some of the problemsthe Mk3 had. I have been living with suspension noise for over 4 years, so would be nice to have silence again.

Sat Nav and all that stuff is no bother, only got seriously lost once in 30 years of driving and that was in the days before mobile phones, let alone Sat Nav.

It seems the Mk4 still has the cassette system, which is a plus for me.

By the way, how do I know it has the DHP suspension.

I have found one that says it has full service, just had new brakes and new cam belt, so will be calling the chap tomorrow, and maybe go see.

Thanks for your comments,

Cheers

Non DHP Models have the 5 flat spokes around the edge alloys - the DHP sits marginally lower and has pepper pot alloys with wider tyres. Stiffer suspension means you fell the road bumps a bit more than normal LS - Goodluck

Tyres for DHP model are at least £260 each (245/50 x17). I went down a width to 235's and saved £160 a tyre (Falken 912's). They are very grippy, but like the original tyre fitment (Pirellis) don't last long - especially on the rear (10k max for me ).

DHP suspension isn't too firm.

Pete

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links