Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ive just replaced the upper NSF wishbone and ball joint. Easy peasy. 30 minutes.

Its still knocking on the NSF when i go over a bump so I guess the lower NSF ball joint is also shot.

Ive looked at the tiutorial and it looks like a real pig of a job.

Is it really that bad a job to do?

PS; the car handles much better now and doesnt wonder about like it used to.

PPS; and where can I get them from other than Lexus. They arent on eBay.

I had both my lower balljoints replaced by a trusted mechanic, it's way out of my league.

Have you investigated the brake caliper? The slide pins can move around and make a horrible knocking noise. Also check the anti-roll bar, the bushings are very cheap and it's an easy job to do. The anti-roll bar link rods are another point of failure, mine seem to be ok but on my last car when they went they made a "bubble dudble bubbubub" sound over minor bumps in the road.

I had both my lower balljoints replaced by a trusted mechanic, it's way out of my league.

Have you investigated the brake caliper? The slide pins can move around and make a horrible knocking noise. Also check the anti-roll bar, the bushings are very cheap and it's an easy job to do. The anti-roll bar link rods are another point of failure, mine seem to be ok but on my last car when they went they made a "bubble dudble bubbubub" sound over minor bumps in the road.

Thanks for all that. Ill have alook at it all this weekend it if stay fine.

Actually it's not too bad a job to do, and well within the realm of a DIY mechanic. You will need a decent quality socket set, and also an Allen headed socket to hold the anti-roll bar link steady while you undo the nut.

There are several available lower ball joints on eBay for about £25 - just do a search for LS400 lower suspension ball joint. As Parrot of Doom says - the anti-roll bar rubbers can cause horrendous noise, particularly during dry weather. I spray mine with silicone grease, which keeps them nice and quiet, but they are easy enough to replace if required.

Regards,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the standard fork type splitter I had to modify mine as it was too thick to insert ( angle grinder to adjust the taper was needed).

Remove the steering rack ball joint with one of the gentle non destructive screw type splitters and finally remove the 2 bolts.

Lever down the bottom arm to completely remove.

ive just replaced the upper NSF wishbone and ball joint. Easy peasy. 30 minutes.

Hi, where did you get the upper wishbones from? and whats the quality like if you didnt go for genuine lexus replacements. thanks.

Are you finding the noise happens generally on bumpy roads or specifically when you brake. I get a noise specifically when braking on a bumpy road. I wonder if it could be brake calipers as was suggested in an earlier post by 'Parrot of Doom'?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, where did you get the upper wishbones from? and whats the quality like if you didnt go for genuine lexus replacements. thanks.

Got them from a company in yorkshire. Parts4cars or a2zparts. They are on eBay. The quality is probably ok. Its the rubber boot that splits after a couple of years and let the water and grit in.

They are selling them off at.........wait for it........£79 a pair.

Yes thats right a pair....thats a right one and a left one...£79.

Mine didn't last long before the rubbers disintegrated and one of the ball joints became loose. They (A-Z) replaced them ok, but wouldn't give a refund. They are now decorations in my garage wall - unopened as my old ones were fine (mis diagnosed wheel shake).

Pete

Thanks for that. I've just changed my discs and didn't have the vibration before so I think I will whip the wheels off and check all is ok still.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links