Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I recently bought a set of DHP alloys for my mk4 LS400 with part worn 245/50/17 tyres fitted with plenty of tread left. They look great, but the road noise in very much increased and it just doesn't ride quite as well. They are Bridgestone run-flat tyres.

I was wondering if changing to 225/55/17 tyres might be a good idea? Does anyone have any experience with these?

Hi

I recently bought a set of DHP alloys for my mk4 LS400 with part worn 245/50/17 tyres fitted with plenty of tread left. They look great, but the road noise in very much increased and it just doesn't ride quite as well. They are Bridgestone run-flat tyres.

I was wondering if changing to 225/55/17 tyres might be a good idea? Does anyone have any experience with these?

As far as I know the 225/55/17 is the standard size. I'm sure, knowing Lexus, this is done for a good reason :) I have the DHP pack from factory, but the previous owner put 225/50/17 tyres on. Luckily they are almost ready for replacing so it's back to 225/55 for me soon.

I take it these are the kind of wheels

ONR-00009.jpg

Hi

Yeah that's the ones. I thought 245/50/17 was standard for the DHP, but a lot of people go for different sizes and the 245 are an unusual size and pretty expensive.

Now you have me confused lol.

I'll have a look on google now :)

EDIT:

You're right 245/50/17 is standard for the 17". I was confused with the standard size for 16" wheels. My bad.

Hi

As far as I know the 225/55/17 is the standard size. I'm sure, knowing Lexus, this is done for a good reason :) I have the DHP pack from factory, but the previous owner put 225/50/17 tyres on. Luckily they are almost ready for replacing so it's back to 225/55 for me soon.

I take it these are the kind of wheels

ONR-00009.jpg

The wheels look the business.

Mike

Hi Guys,

I have the DHP pack on my car.

When my tyres were due for replacement, due to the ridiculous price of the 245/50/17 tyres, I put 235/50/17s on. I am running Falken tyres and have no complaints about them. They cost about £115 each (fitted and balanced, old tyres disposed of) from E-Tyres about 2 months ago. This is the second set of Falkens I have put on the car, they wear quite well and are quiet, grip is also good. I will use them again next time.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

I replaced the 245/50/17's (too expensive) with Falken 235/50 x17's and whilst these were perfectly acceptable in terms of ride, noise, grip etc, they increased the already over reading speedo up to around 6mph over at 70 (checked against sat nav). Incidentally, I find most cars sold in the UK have inaccurate speedos, but every car I've hired in the US is dead accurate.

I recently replaced these with 235/55 x17's (Falkens again) and had the wheels refinished and speedo overreads by only 1mph at 70 now.

Don't expect much in the way of longevity - around 10 - 12k from a tyre.

Pete

I replaced the 245/50/17's (too expensive) with Falken 235/50 x17's and whilst these were perfectly acceptable in terms of ride, noise, grip etc, they increased the already over reading speedo up to around 6mph over at 70 (checked against sat nav). Incidentally, I find most cars sold in the UK have inaccurate speedos, but every car I've hired in the US is dead accurate.

I recently replaced these with 235/55 x17's (Falkens again) and had the wheels refinished and speedo overreads by only 1mph at 70 now.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I was also thinking of going the 235/55 way. Do you have a pic of the wheels? I'm a bit worried they are coming close to van tyres ;)

Hi Ruud,I'll take a pic tomorrow - they look absolutely fine - I thought the 50's didn't fill the arches enough, but these do.

Pete

Thanks for that Pete. Previous owner fitted 225/50 on mine. Looks kinda silly. Way too much room under the arches now.

As i am fairly new to the Ls400 world what does

DHP mean

Welcome aboard Martin.

Great place to get nearly all the info you might ever want.

Is this your first Lexus? Tell us what you think of Lexus motoring.

Mike

Here you Go:

CIMG5285.jpg

CIMG5288.jpg

CIMG5287.jpg

Thanks Pete. I almost missed the post.

That indeed looks a LOT better than mine. 235/55 it is then :)

And a very nice Ls.

Pete

Hi Pete,

my speedo is also now a little bit off as the circumferance of a 235/50 tyre is a little bit smaller than that of the original 245/50 tyre. The reason I didn't go for the 235/55 tyre is that on full lock they were just rubbing the inner wheelarches due to the fact the front springs are a bit long in the tooth and have lost a bit of their height.

My speedo reads 74 MPH when my Sat Nav reads 70 MPH.

I got about 15000 miles out of my first set of Falkens, I am quite steady round corners and don't really rag my car about too much.

Steve.

I have always gone for the Pirelli Pzero Asimmetrico 245/50 ZR17s. These are the tyres that Lexus originally fitted and I have been very happy with them. They have a fantastic grip when hustling round corners and compliment the DHP set up beautifully. They are (very) expensive and becoming a bit rare but I'll be sticking with them!

I found the Pirellis to be a bit lacking in grip compared to the Falkens, but wear rate is similar. I'd rather save £500+ on a set of tyres than retain originality.

Pete

I hear ya!

My LS had the Pirellis on when I bought it. The grip was good but I found when they got down to the last 5000 miles of their life the car was squirming about all over the road, I don't get this problem on the Falkens.

I can respect people that want to stick to the Pirellis though, the car did ride nicely on them when they had plenty of tread left.

Steve.

Thanks for the replies. Tough decision! I agree with most people that the 245/50s are just too expensive. So the options for me I think are 225/55, 235/50 or 235/55, but if the 235/55 might rub in the wheel arches in some cars with more worn suspension, then that sort of puts me off.

Maybe 225/55 would be the most sensible option overall, but the wider ones do look a bit nicer on the car don't they.

• 2 weeks later...

Having evaluated the options, I think I'm just going to go back to my standard 16" alloys as I still have fresh summer and winter tyres for them.

The DHPs do look really smart as they are newly refurbished but I spent quite a lot on them and a new set of tyres is going to cost even more. For me personally the run flat tyres they came with just detract a bit too much from the smooth ride.

I'll probably put them on eBay soon but if anyone is interest, let me know.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links