Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Howdy Folks,

New to the forum, long time lurker, first time poster.

Just picked up a 2004 LS430, and am absolutely thrilled with it. Car has a full Lexus service history, and thankfully has had the rear shocks done by the previous owner, so only half as much worry now!

So here's what i'm wondering:

Took a 500 mile trip in the car over the weekend (all motorway), and after resetting the trip, and driving mostly at 80 on cruise, I was disappointed to see that i'd averaged 26.5 mpg. I specifically bought the facelift model for the 6 speed box, figuring that it would be capable of delivering good economy at these speeds. About 15'ish in town, where I was hoping for 18 or so. I drive gentle in case you're wondering.

I've read of owners getting 30-34 mpg on these cars and motorway and 20mpg in town, so that was the only let down. Other than that, the car was a delight to be in for the journey.

The car had a service about 4,000 miles ago, so not due one yet. I'm thinking that new sparks, MAF, cleaning the throttle body might help me to achieve the figures i'm after.

Any advice for me here Gents?

Try dropping from 80 to 70 and you'll be amazed at just how much less your car will use! I'm not being high horse, you shouldn't be speeding etc, but it's true! A good service as stated above will help a bit, maybe try some BG44K (google it) too. Also, Leeds LPG are doing conversions for just over £1k. With LPG half the price you'll make your money back in no time.

Drive at 70 on cruise?

Don't get me wrong, I also set cruise to 80 on the basis it's probably 75 ish in reality and plod won't bother you at that speed.

But if economy is your aim then 70 would surely be better.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Edit:- willskoda beat me to it - must type faster :D

Using cruise control is never as economical as driving without it; even on the motorway.

Cruise will be powering you up the hills and braking down hill.

Best to drive with an "intellegent" and light foot.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks lads.

Yep, I know the extra speed is a contributing factor indeed, but my interest is just to make sure that the car is running at it's most optimum.

I had a V12 7 series that would return 37 mpg sitting at 60 mph and 30mpg at 80 mph, so i've got to be able to do better than that in the Lexus.

Lpg is looking mighty tempting with current petrol prices!

Thanks lads.

Yep, I know the extra speed is a contributing factor indeed, but my interest is just to make sure that the car is running at it's most optimum.

I had a V12 7 series that would return 37 mpg sitting at 60 mph and 30mpg at 80 mph, so i've got to be able to do better than that in the Lexus.

Lpg is looking mighty tempting with current petrol prices!

When you check your speedo against a Sat nav which is far more accurate with the speedo showing 75/76 your Sat nav will show your just touching 70mph.

Welcome to the club.

Go for LPG you will not regret it.

Mike

As a slight aside, I have just ordered some of that BG44K after reading lots of good reviews about it.

I will feed back results if any.

Has anyone else tried it yet?

As a slight aside, I have just ordered some of that BG44K after reading lots of good reviews about it. I will feed back results if any. Has anyone else tried it yet?

That will be interesting.

Mike

As a slight aside, I have just ordered some of that BG44K after reading lots of good reviews about it.

I popped a can in the tank last week... only the car is off the road until early May so I have no idea how good/bad it's going to be! abs66 - keep us updated!

Well I've not done many miles yet so can't give a result yet. I have a feeling the pick up is a little better than it was but it may just be my imagination.

Will keep you informed.

I have been reading about that as well.

Too bad it won't go in my LPG tank ;)

I can, of course, poor it in the petrol think, but it will sit there a looooooong time......

Well I've done half a tank with the 44k in and the pick up is definitely better in my opinion and a flat spot seems to be nearly gone.

I also believe I'm getting a bit more mpg but will check over time as no fancy computer in the mk3.

I also found a nice dry clear stretch of road last night and floored it up to the speed limit, that's improved too again in my opinion.

Will feed back as and when I have more info.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links