Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I am interested in buying a fault code reader (OBD unit) - i havent used one before and there's nothing wrong with the car. I am just curious as to any faults it may have had and think it will come in usefull in the future.

I have seen a lot on eBay but are there any particular ones that are recomended for these cars (is200) and are they universal ? (to fit most cars)

Also - where is the plug slot located for these machines - is it below the steering wheel

thanks

OBD port is underneath the dashboard on the right hand side just above the hood release.

You can use the ELM327 connector (either Bleutooth or USB) USB will require you to find an appropriate program that can read/erase the mistakes. I use my andriod phone in combination with Torque and an ELM327 BT. (cheapest solution)

If you have an Iphone you could do the same with a program called REV ( a bit more expensive then the andriod version and requires the OBDKEY BT connector)

And there is a program called Toyota K+Can commander version 2.0 this needs to be installed on a laptop/netbook and uses a specific USB OBD2 reader, the only reason to get it is because it allows you to do everything the dealer can do like adding keys (without the pedal dance) resetting the ecu and so on and so on ( it has profiles for all Toyota and LEXUS based cars that have OBD2) will set you back around 50 to 90 quid if you get it trough eBay.

• 3 months later...

Hi just joined the Lexus owners forum as recently acquired my first Lexus IS200 and I love it to bits! I have a D900 obd fault code reader and it has been very beneficial to me as it saved me from buying 2 cars that had loads of DTCs ( Diagnostic Trouble Codes) This unit cost only £30 on amazon uk and has been invaluable. Works well on nearly every car you can think of!!

Ive got a cheapo hand held one off eBay same as this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U480-Universal-OBD2-CAN-BUS-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-diagnostic-scan-tool-UK-/221039216694?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3376f6c836

It's been invaluable on my none Toyota cars. For around 30 quid though you can get a much better unit with live data and fault description read out etc.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links