Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

My Water Pump Has Seized

Dez

Hi, I'm Dez been a member for years but I've never posted as I've never had a problem till now!

I was driving down the M6 on Saturday, when my car IS200 52reg ground to a halt and wouldnt start again.

Not knowing anything about cars, I got a bit of adivise from my brother and he thought it could possibly be the cam belt broken.

After being recovered home, I was talked through some steps to check things off our kid.

The timing belt is ok, but it still wouldn't start. I slackened off the alternator/water pump belt and it now runs.

The alternator is free but the water pump is solid, so I think it has seized.

I have read different reports of the cambelt having to be removed to replace the water pump, I would appreciate it if someone could confirm this, I think I can tackle a water pump but dont want to take the chance of doing the cambelt myself.

Thanks in advance Dez.

It's not the water pump that you think has siezed. The water pump is buried in the engine and is ran off the cambelt. It's either the air con compressor, power steering pump, or alternator.

Where abouts in the engine bay is this component located that has siezed? My guess is it is the air con compressor.

As you look in the engine its just below and slightly left of the cam belt cover,and above right of the powered sterering pump, air con is on the right.

thanks for reply.

It's not the water pump that you think has siezed. The water pump is buried in the engine and is ran off the cambelt. It's either the air con compressor, power steering pump, or alternator.

Where abouts in the engine bay is this component located that has siezed? My guess is it is the air con compressor.

The water pump isn't driven by the cam belt.

The alternator is top right, AC compressor is bottom right, Power Steering pump is bottom left and the water pump is somewhat central with two belts on it.

post-3469-0-87982900-1341353282.jpg

The water pump isn't driven by the cam belt.

The alternator is top right, AC compressor is bottom right, Power Steering pump is bottom left and the water pump is somewhat central with two belts on it.

Yes,so it is the water pump colin.thanks, what i wanted to know is do you you need to remove the cam belt to replace the pump?

I have read different reports of the cambelt having to be removed to replace the water pump, I would appreciate it if someone could confirm this, I think I can tackle a water pump but dont want to take the chance of doing the cambelt myself.

Thanks in advance Dez.

You do yes. Not sure if it is physically possible to remove the water pump with the belt in the way but you would risk damaging belt without removing it.

If you look at this picture, taken from the timing belt replacement guide, you can see the water pump on the left but the flat piece of metal which goes behind the belt with the bolts on it is part of the pump.

02092008033.jpg

Guide here:

http://www.lexusowne...als&article=122

post-3469-0-97244000-1341354565.jpg

Hi while changing the water pump you might as well have the cambelt,idler and tensioner changed too(especially if you dont know if its been done)

Hi while changing the water pump you might as well have the cambelt,idler and tensioner changed too(especially if you dont know if its been done)

Thanks for that. ive got my brother coming to do it now for me so will tell him hes got a bit more work to do,ha.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links