Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had my rev and mph needles repaired last year, a few days ago my fuel needle decided to black out :( I emailed the guy who repaired the other 2 last year to see if I could book it in again, but impatient waiting for a reply i decided to find out his "secret"

With sucess I took the dash out, applied some magic and now its working 100% as it should, dims with the dimmer dial etc...

Before

001.jpg

002.jpg

After

003.jpg

004.jpg

There are a few 'solutions' to the blacked out needles, including painting the tips with a uv paint, fishermans float paint etc LOL , but the solution I used/was used on the previous fix isnt documented, and is the only one to provide a working dimming needle as Lexus intended without any visible modification.

cheers

Were the clocks difficult to get out? I'm picking up my 400 tomorrow and may well face this issue some day!

Hi

No they are quite simple, its a 5 minute job

1 ) put the steering wheel in the fully down and out position for better access

2 ) the black trim with the dial dimmer and trip computer buttons.. Pull this towards you to remove and unplug the 2 plugs

3 ) remove the 2 screws holding the dash speedo/binacle

4 ) between the top of the speedo binacle and the main dash, prise the binacle out.. dont forget to use alot of spare rag to protect from scratches

5 ) reach behind the binacle and unplug the 4 plugs

6 ) pull the dash out

If I remember correctly repair involves he use of electrically conductive paint.

I also notice that repairing the needle has increased the amount of fuel you have in the tank, the before pictures clearly show the low fuel warning light on and with the after pictures the needle shows more fuel and the light has gone out Bonus! :unsure:

Thats because I went to the petrol station and just shoved £10 in to make sure the guage still moved properly... (only a tenner as im on LPG........) :)

and yes youve got it, electrically conductive paint is the trick!

Thats because I went to the petrol station and just shoved £10 in to make sure the guage still moved properly... (only a tenner as im on LPG........) :)

and yes youve got it, electrically conductive paint is the trick!

Well done you for tackling the repair and another well done for driving on LPG.

Mike

haha LPG is great!

I think im going to do a How-to on fixing these needles, its an easy and inexpensive job, I reckon pretty much anyone could do it...

The paint is available form places like RS Components,Farnell and of course that well known internet auction site for around a tenner.

I would imagine one small pot will do several hundred needles, so should we do a group buy of one pot and share it between members? :D

I cant beleive this fix has been such a massive secret - it's like there has been a hugh conspiracy about it or something! lol. PLEASE do a guide - you'll be a national hero (maybe)!

Yes I can't believe it too, especially as I feel anyone could do it, it costs pennies and takes about half an hour.

I will do a comprehensive guide, in the mean time if anyones needles fail let me know and ill try and give you a quick run through the procedure so you can DIY it.

I cant beleive this fix has been such a massive secret - it's like there has been a hugh conspiracy about it or something! lol. PLEASE do a guide - you'll be a national hero (maybe)!

Yes I can't believe it too, especially as I feel anyone could do it, it costs pennies and takes about half an hour.

I will do a comprehensive guide, in the mean time if anyones needles fail let me know and ill try and give you a quick run through the procedure so you can DIY it.

I will also be looking out for the guide, thanks! My '95 has dark-ended speedo & rev counter needles, no probs with the fuel/temp gauges yet. I already have the conductive paint, so I shall give it a whirl as soon as you're done :hocus-pokus:

No rush though - the car is off the road (still waiting for me to diagnose the engine fault)...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links