Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Could anyone tell me the average life of exhausts on these cars. Mine is 14 years old. Is this normal? Unbelievable. Its got a small blow on the centre y near what seems like a a join in the pipe. Thinking of getting it welded. Or just replace it. Been advised that these are £300 plus. Not sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Most of the exhaust system is stainless steel so should last the lifetime of the car, mine is 18 years old and still the original.

Unfortunately for some reason the joint flanges and Y section are not and that is wheere they go.

There are no aftermarket Y sections manufactured and they are pretty expensive from Lexus but it may well be weldable.

And there's a not inexhaustive thread ( s ) on here all about exhausts and Y sections and rusting flanges and replacing the cats

But the stainless exhaust itself will probably last the life of the car ............ and still going strong on those now 24 years old I surmise too.

Malc

by way of comparatives ........... My cousin has just had to replace the cats on his 12 y/o jag ( yuk ) that he's had since brand new, immaculate and Jag serviced and wow, cost him £800 for the cats alone, fitted etc.

Thanks for the advice. Asked around about welding. Some say its possible and some not. Most say try a sealant of some kind. The exhaust centres I have been to say they have never had one of these cars with exhaust problems. Just brakes and tyres etc.

Don't know if it's pertinent but I recently read on here somewhere about blacktack .......... a form of bluetack only like a replacement for stronger than welding possibly............

Just a mention.

Malc

I had exact same dilemma....you have no choice but to replace the cats and centre H section it is connected to.....unless you can find a master fabricator willing to take on the job....but it would be hardly worth their while when I asked around.....I bit the bullet and went to Lexus for the parts and fitted them on a friends lift.....

But I too questioned the daft idea of mld steel flanges onto stainless system...

....get yourself some replacement manifold to Cat studs too....they will need burning gear to get them off if they were anything like mine...plus new nuts and gaskets.....not too expensive off Lexus....

But it is worth it to keep the Best Car in the World in fine fettle ....No ? :whistling:

Thanks for your input. If I can avoid replacing the cats I will. She has just passed another MOT with no advisories for about the 5th year running. The blow at present is still quite. Most people wonder what all the fuss is about. But what ever has to be done, will be. As you say, It is worth keeping the best car in fine fettle!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links