Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Economy & Snow Button

I've had my Lexus 5 months now and regularly get 35/36 mpg which I am very pleased with. As good as the Vauxhall I used to have but it's much nicer driving a 'prestige' car and the build quality and ride comfort is premier.

I tried driving with the snow button on between fuel stops and, for me, it made no difference apart from less acceleration.

So there you go, it was worth a try.

Happy motoring....

Nice to know as I'd heard a few rumours about the snow button and was actually thinking of trying it...I guess i'll to stick to driving like a pensioner when I want to save the pennies!

I was just wondering, if only filling the tank halfway would have a noticeable effect on fuel consumption. It's a 70L tank, so my thinking was that only putting 35/40L in and running that down would mean only carrying a maximum of 29kg, whereas 70L is 51kg - a saving of 20+ kg

Or is 20kg really not going to make a noticeable difference?

I was just wondering, if only filling the tank halfway would have a noticeable effect on fuel consumption. It's a 70L tank, so my thinking was that only putting 35/40L in and running that down would mean only carrying a maximum of 29kg, whereas 70L is 51kg - a saving of 20+ kg

Or is 20kg really not going to make a noticeable difference?

really does make a difference as i tend to fill up weekly rather than monthly with the ocassional fill ups if I'm going away for the weekend. as they say there is no point carrying excess weight (fuel) around if you dont really need to. 20+kg extra in fuel really slows one down and the car will feel slugish and heavy which would result in more effort from the engine to move the car from traffic stops etc ending up in more consumption.

snow button dulls the trottle response making the device which transmits power to the rear wheels (differencial) slightly sluggish which gives the slowness sensation when driving.

Try this...

Sit at 40mph in 4th or 5th. Don't let off the throttle then push the snow button. Watch what the mpg needle does.... :)

and you will decelerate.

If you hook up an OBDII reader at the same time you will notice the throttle closes. All that snow mode does in the IS is make the throttle response less, you need to press the pedal down more to achieve the same throttle opening. Snow mode has no affect on economy if you compensate for the different throttle mapping.

Try this...

Sit at 40mph in 4th or 5th. Don't let off the throttle then push the snow button. Watch what the mpg needle does.... :)

and you will decelerate.

If you hook up an OBDII reader at the same time you will notice the throttle closes. All that snow mode does in the IS is make the throttle response less, you need to press the pedal down more to achieve the same throttle opening. Snow mode has no affect on economy if you compensate for the different throttle mapping.

I'm sure you are correct as I wouldn't have a clue. I asked on another thread if it affected mpg and the resounding answer was no.

Its just fun to watch the needle drop to 60mpg albeit only for a short while. I think people have done that and come to the conclusion their getting better mpg by pressing the snow button.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links