Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

That 'carbon' Word Again!

bluenose1940

Hello folks, just sat down to a well earned cuppa and a biccy and was fiddling about on the old PC and decided to have a look see at other Lexus Forums.

I came across 'Club Lexus' and immediately went to the IS250 section as I am looking to get one asap. I was quite taken aback when reading the first thread that I came across.

The originator of the thread stated that he was looking at a couple of 06 IS250's and was seeking some advice/guidance prior to purchase.

The bit that took me by surprise came from a response to the original post whereby the guy stated that (quote) "carbon build-up is a pretty common issue on the IS250 and that I have personally had it and it will probably be the only reason I would sell the car" (unquote)

Now i am an addict of this site (LOC) and have been involved quite a bit in the discussions relative to the EGR Valve on the IS220d but admit to not spotting much in relation to carbon build-up on the IS250.

I started a thread about fuel (petrol as opposed to diesel) a little while ago and there were some interesting replies to which I will again refer as and when I get my 250 but, I am wondering if other current or past 250 owners feel that there is an 'issue' with carbon build-up.

Hope you are all enjoying this wonderful spell of sunshine and are taking the opportunity to spruce up you beloved motors!

P.S. Don't know if there is any relevance but the contributors (on Club Lexus) location is shown as CA which I automatically assumed as California USA. Could heat be the cause of the issue over there? !!!!!!

They have very low octane fuel over there, their premium is about 94ron, and this causes excess carbon build over our regular stuff.

Thank you for your input jason61c, that at least gives me a little bit of peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to take a look here geoffers.

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/news/category/bg-44k-for-petrol/

Given how well BG244 works with diesel, I am sure BG44K would do similar for petrol. Have a read through the testimonies too.

I will definitely consider this when the time is right.

Has no one had this problem in the UK? Looking at the thread on the club Lexus website, it seems a big problem over there with many Is250's affected. Is it just down to low octane fuel? Maybe it will affect us as the engines get more miles on them?

Just drive the car enthusiastically every now and then to keep it free of carbon build up. If buying a used car I would certainly recommend using a fuel additive or something like sea foam to clear the engine. If the car is driven in miss daisy mode all the time which is probable given how smooth the transmission is when driven gently, some sort of carbon build up should be expected. Nothing too serious.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links