Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Bhp Could I Gain With The Following Mods?

jrsimon27

hey friends i want to mod my car it seems to be underpower and i would want it with more power.

but if i get a drop in air filter a full exhaust systems with a decat and headers and a performance chip what bhp will my car gain?

ive been looking at superchargers but you only get them second hand i want it new and a turbocharger kit i could buy but i dont have any close tuner living nearby so i wont be able to tune it.

what do you think of this chip?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-01-Lexus-IS200-IS300-OBD-Performance-Flash-Chip-/320550083291?hash=item4aa2461adb&item=320550083291&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

also when you decat the car do you get a check engine light? and if yes how do you avoid this?

thanks a lot.

An induction kit, air filter or exhaust might make your IS noticeabley faster, but it will only be fractionally. You will have to spend megabucks to turbo or supercharge. The reason you only find second hand ones is that TTE stopped making them. They do however use Eaton M62 compressors found on some mercs. and in answer to your question about chips, dont bother. They wont do anything.

^ This. More people would be chipping, and breathing the IS in and out if they offered noticeable performance mods. The IS engine is a pretty inefficient engine and doesn't respond well to tuning, which is a shame since it's a pretty strong engine (turbocharging a stock IS200 1G-FE lump can yield results of 280bhp!)

Problem is, as Ben said, turbocharging and supercharging isn't cheap; a TTE supercharger kit costs about £2k used, and only gives about 50bhp - not much of a result for the money. Turbocharging gives better results, as mentioned, but costs more. For that 280bhp, don't expect much change from £5k

But man would 280bhp be fun in an IS!!

The other option is to buy a 1G-GTE lump (2L twin turbo from an old Supra or Soarer, which are 210bhp as standard, and from what I've read, more or less drop straight in (since the IS200 has a 1G-FE as standard, it's the same mounts, etc), and then tune that up - I'd say easy 300bhp from a few not too hefty upgrades. That'd still cost you a few grand, but probably cheaper than a turbo conversion on the stock lump.

Alternatively, sell the IS200, buy an IS300 (211bhp N/A as standard). And if you already have an IS300 (which you might as I just noticed your location is not UK and you linked to eBay.com, then you can swap the stock 2JZ-GE N/A engine for a 2JZ-GTE twin turbo engine from a Supra (again, more or less drops right in) and we know how far these engines can be pushed! Although that depends on how deep your pockets are. But again, 300bhp is pennies on a stock 2JZ-GTE, since they are more or less 280bhp as standard

you will have to 'suck it and see'... bhp results really varyings depending on how the engine has been engineered, the engine's cubic capacity, ECU spec, aspiration i.e (N/A, Turbo, Superc'd) etc... but one thing for sure Turbo charged cars really unleash a lot of horse power when induction kit, exhast systems and ECU chipping is done not so much with Naturally Aspirated engines but saying that IS200 does have a good intelligent engine i.e. it uses a high compression ratio, VVT-i, direct ignition and good Denso ECU so an induction kit and sport exhaust systems can free up some horses only way to find out is to fit them and stick the car on a dyno for results.

there are only three ways to make good power from an engine.

1. bigger cubic capacity i.e.IS250, IS/GS300 , GS430, IS-F
  2. Forced air induction from a small capacity (Turbo, SuperC'd) Supra, Evo, STI Subaru, Mazda MPS, Golf GTI's
  3. High revving engines with small torque but torque gets multiplied at the wheel due to gearing. i.e Celica VVTL-i, Altezza RS200, Honda Civic Type R, Integra Type R, S2000

So with the mods i mention i wouldnt even get at least 30bhp?

Thanks

As the old saying goes, ill eat my hat if you get that much power from them mods! Would be very interesting to see what happens though.

• 2 weeks later...

rather than increase engine power, which is difficult to do with the IS200 engine, lose some weight from the vehicle instead.

Good point there. I remember someone saying before though that when they took the spare wheel out it made the car abit "twitchy" at the back end. Still may be worth a try though. Just be careful.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links