Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What An Ebay Waste Of Time!

Last night the old LS sold on eBay for £411. The buyer emailed to say he would pick it up on Thursday. An hour later he'd changed his mind and asked if I could relist it. Why do people bid if they're not interested? Pointless!

Last night the old LS sold on ebay for £411. The buyer emailed to say he would pick it up on Thursday. An hour later he'd changed his mind and asked if I could relist it. Why do people bid if they're not interested? Pointless!

I can never understand why everyone that's registered with eBay is not made to register CC/DC or DD precisely for this reason.

After all if your bidding you are making a contract in law to purchase.

I know there will always be some idiot out there that will find another way to mess everyone around but it will stop a lot of it.

Nearly all auction houses make you register a card and they take the money automatically.

God forbid though that eBay do something with common sense attached.

Mike

I sold my 1990 Lexus on eBay and that sale went perfectly and the guy who bought it came 240 miles to collect it.I bought my new Lexus through eBay but managed to pursuade the seller to take it off before the sale ended so I made sure of getting it.There are winners and losers because for second hand cars eBay is a lottery both for buyers and sellers.

I sold my 1990 Lexus on Ebay and that sale went perfectly and the guy who bought it came 240 miles to collect it.I bought my new Lexus through Ebay but managed to pursuade the seller to take it off before the sale ended so I made sure of getting it.There are winners and losers because for second hand cars ebay is a lottery both for buyers and sellers.

That's true enough, but what I can't understand is why people bid if they don't want it, it just wastes everyone's time. Plus you can't give them negative feedback!

eBay has become a complete waste of time,effort and money, you cannot leave negative feedback for idiot buyers or even leave a negative comment. The cost is horrendous and as soon as you sell something they add the selling fee to your account so then you have to go through the process of claiming it back, they should not take anything until the money has changed hands and the deal is done.

What ever you do don't offer a "Mutual Cancellation" because if the buyer declines you will automatically lose the ability to claim back your fees. If the seller offers it accept and the fees are immediately refunded but then the idiots get completely away with it, having said that eBay lets them get away with everything anyway, they aren't interested in anything but profits.

Finally don't give a 2nd chance offer to the underbidder they never reply in my experience and hold up the relisting even longer.

I can never understand why everyone that's registered with ebay is not made to register CC/DC or DD precisely for this reason.

After all if your bidding you are making a contract in law to purchase.

I know there will always be some idiot out there that will find another way to mess everyone around but it will stop a lot of it.

Nearly all auction houses make you register a card and they take the money automatically.

God forbid though that Ebay do something with common sense attached.

Mike

Technically yes, but it's a bit of a grey area really. On the one hand, you do sign in the terms and conditions that winning an auction at whatever price you do, is a legally binding contract and you are expected to uphold it. However, it's never been tested in a bricks and mortar courthouse (as far as I know anyway), and normal auction houses rarely take non-paying bidders to court either.

You're free to retract your bid any time before the auction ends, just as the seller is free to end an item any time before it ends.

and you could also argue that under the sale of goods act and distance selling regulations, you have 7 days to change your mind about buying something over the internet. So if it did go to court, you could most likely get off with it quoting that.

Plus you can't give them negative feedback!

That does annoy me that they've prohibited sellers giving negative feedback to a buyer; sellers get messed around by buyers just as much as the other way around, and leaving negative feedback for non payers, or messers is the only real way of other eBay users seeing what the user in question is actually like.

To the OP - file a non paying bidder claim with eBay. You won't get the money for the sale, but you will be able to claim back the final value fee you have to pay eBay because your item sold. And at 10%, that can be a steep fee depending on your sale price.

Technically yes, but it's a bit of a grey area really. On the one hand, you do sign in the terms and conditions that winning an auction at whatever price you do, is a legally binding contract and you are expected to uphold it. However, it's never been tested in a bricks and mortar courthouse (as far as I know anyway), and normal auction houses rarely take non-paying bidders to court either.

Believe you me auction houses do charge to whatever card you have registered with them and they also take people to court if you fail to pay. I have attended auction houses up and down the country and all the ones I have been to work this way.

Over seas bidders now depending on what the type of auction it is and the values they are expected to achieve will charge immediately a percentage of the estimate already set on the lots you are registered to bid on and if you don't register on those lots they wont let you bid, then if you don't pay they keep that sum of money and you have no comeback.

This has cut down a lot of non payers.

You're free to retract your bid any time before the auction ends, just as the seller is free to end an item any time before it ends.

Your bid on any auction including eBay is a contract in law you don't need signed contracts as you have already agreed with their term and conditions when you register and can be enforced by the County & High Courts.

I realise that no one is going to be taken to court for a few pounds but get past the £500 mark and they will start seriously thinking of taking you to court.

The thing with all these things is that its no good chasing bad debt if they haven't got any money.

Try withdrawing your bid in an auction house and you will soon find out you cant do that, they will get you to leave.

I agree there are lots of anomalies where eBay are concerned, you are the seller and if you get a non payer apart from reporting them to eBay which is worthless you can take out a Court/ High Court summons against your defaulter and this has been done many times.

Its not going to be for everyone but it is your choice if you do or not.

Mike

Ebay has become a complete waste of time,effort and money, you cannot leave negative feedback for idiot buyers or even leave a negative comment. The cost is horrendous and as soon as you sell something they add the selling fee to your account so then you have to go through the process of claiming it back, they should not take anything until the money has changed hands and the deal is done.

What ever you do don't offer a "Mutual Cancellation" because if the buyer declines you will automatically lose the ability to claim back your fees. If the seller offers it accept and the fees are immediately refunded but then the idiots get completely away with it, having said that ebay lets them get away with everything anyway, they aren't interested in anything but profits.

Finally don't give a 2nd chance offer to the underbidder they never reply in my experience and hold up the relisting even longer.

Spot on with contacting the underbidder, I tried that, no reply!

Anway, I needed to move it on so I put it on eBay last night with a buy it now price of £350. It sold within 3 hours and the buyer (a motor trader) picked it up today. Sad to see it go but the new one is a delight to drive so that made it easier.

Phil

Ebay has become a complete waste of time,effort and money, you cannot leave negative feedback for idiot buyers or even leave a negative comment. The cost is horrendous and as soon as you sell something they add the selling fee to your account so then you have to go through the process of claiming it back, they should not take anything until the money has changed hands and the deal is done.

What ever you do don't offer a "Mutual Cancellation" because if the buyer declines you will automatically lose the ability to claim back your fees. If the seller offers it accept and the fees are immediately refunded but then the idiots get completely away with it, having said that ebay lets them get away with everything anyway, they aren't interested in anything but profits.

Anway, I needed to move it on so I put it on eBay last night with a buy it now price of £350. It sold within 3 hours and the buyer (a motor trader) picked it up today. Sad to see it go but the new one is a delight to drive so that made it easier.

Phil

Bound to see that reappear for around £1999.99p.

Mike

Phil

Bound to see that reappear for around £1999.99p.

Mike

I'm sure you're right, I'll be looking out for it!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links