Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How And When Do You Use Your 'paddles'

As per the title, I am just wondering how you fellow LOC members and 250 owners make best use of your paddles.

As a new 250 owner of less than 2 weeks and with a lot still to learn, i am a little confused over their proper use. I did read in an earlier thread but can't remember which one, that they are used as 'limiters' rather than shifters in the true sense of the word.

What I am finding difficulty with at the moment is, why would you want to restrict the range of gears that are available to you when driving in'D'?

I went out in my car this morning and drove the car in 'S' mode and used the paddles just like using a gearstick in a manual car. Having done that then to me they do appear to be 'proper shifters'

I look forward to hearing your comments. Thank you.

I'd be very interested to hear what other members far more knowledgable and experienced than myself have to say about this one! I've owned my IS250 since Wednesday and still getting used to it (though loving every second in it at the moment!!).

I am pretty sure they are proper shifters to be honest. I tried them out on day 1, on country roads driving pretty hard - and it was great! I think some drivers (at least this is the case for me) are a little uncomforatble with the lack of control you have over what gear you're in when driving an auto, if you are doing some "sporty" driving. 95% of the time I couldn't care less because I am cruising round and sublime comfort and am happy for the car to chose what gear to select. But - when driving hard on country roads I really want control over the gear I am in - for example, changing down on the way into a bend to use some engine-breaking, then accelerating hard out of the exit (as opposed to just hard-breaking on entry to a bend, and waiting for the gearbox to kick down on exit).

For me, this is what I thought they were for anyway! Put it this way - there were some slightly newer 250's that I considered which didn't have the paddles, and which I then discounted. For me the paddles were essential. (though it remains to be seen how much I do actually use them!!). I do think there's more to it though. For example, them work in 'D' aswell as 'S' mode, so is this just an override thing or something else?

Its an interesting topic, and I am thinking Normski and some of the other expert members might have some wisdom to add!

There are a few ways to prove that the paddles are limiters. One of them is as follows:

- Change the display on the car so that you can see the gear position.

- Drive your car at 20-30mph and put it in S. You will notice a big '4' pop up on the odometer and your gear position screen should show 4 too.

- Kick down and watch how the car reverts to the second or third gear to gain speed without you touching the paddles. So basically what you did is limited the top gear of the car to 4. The shifting was still done by the transmission. A true shifter would stay in the chosen gear until you downshift yourself.

I am pretty sure there is a page or two in the manual which explains that the paddles are limiters.

Well, they do primarily act as limiters becasue the autobox will still shift down if it thinks that it is the right thing to do, but in practice you can also shift up and down with them within whatever limits are imposed by the software protecting the gearbox. One use might be to limit 4th as the top gear on a long winding climb, so as to keep the revs high. Have you tried setting the ECT switch to 'pwr'? That sharpens up the gear changes, so if you brake on the approach to a bend or roundabout the gearbox will go straight down to (say) third without any need for you to to use the paddles.

I mainly used them in the 250, and even more so in the IS-F, for gradual engine braking rather than over-using the brakes. On the IS-F the paddles can be used without having to select a postion using the gearstick, and on both cars the stick can be also used for manual shifting rather than the paddles and is particularly useful if you find it difficult to use the paddles as they rotate with the steering wheel, The IS-F takes off like a scalded cat when changing up manually, although you need to be quick to change up before the audible alarm sounds and the rev limiter kicks in.

Well I have just had the manual out for a good read on this subject, and then been out for a drive to try it out! I think I understand it now.

So in practicality I think you can use the paddles to control gear changes. By using them as 'limiters' you can basically just limit the gearbox to the gear you're in. For example, when stationary you could keep clicking the left shifter until "1" is displayed. When you pull away the car will stay in 1st until you click the right paddle to shift up, and assuming you continue to accelerate the car will stay in 2nd until you shift up to 3rd.

Let's say for this example that you then even out your speed and stop accelerating. The car will stay in 3rd until you start slowing down. If you slow down gradually to a stop the car which change down for you. and ultimate select 1st gear for pulling away again. BUT the gear box is still limited to 3rd. So the car should automatically change up to 3rd for you. But won't go past 3rd unless you change up manually. You can still downshift manually if you wish, in order to use engine breaking, but if you don't the car will downshift for you.

So in short, the way I see it is that the car will give you all the benefits of manual shifting, but if you don't shift manually the car will take care of it for you. For example, if you're in 'S' mode and you floor it the car will change down for you. Similarly, if you're in 3rd and you slow right down without shifting down, the car will shift down for you. And if you try to shift up to a gear that you're not going fast enough to select, the car will simply not shift up (though it will raise the limit to a higher gear).

This - at least - is my understanding of how it works, But I'd love to hear from others of there's anything I've missed or got wrong?

same here i use the paddles for when am in the mood for a more sporty driving and the strange thing is, in M or in the case of IS250 S mode the throttle is more sharper than in D mode and the sound of the engine gets a bit more throatier. M or sport mode is good for when one wants to pick the highest gear they deserve so say for example you are braking for a round about or bend in D mode the ECU might only drop the gears downfrom 5th to 3rd or even 4th depending on your throtle peddle position which wont be ideal to put more torque to the wheels when exiting out of the bend but if in M mode and you have the same scenario you would be able to manually put the car into 2nd when braking for the bend which translates to more torque when existing out of it. it basically gives one the freedom to use the transmission like a manual but without having to clutch down. and the good thing is it wont let you abuse the box if the speed you traveling at is more than the transmision can handle it wont drop down so when doing say 70mph and you try to select 2nd gear in M or sport mode, it wont do it but will allow 4th or maybe 3rd gears and i think it also automatically shifts at redline even when in manual mode to save one from over revving the car.

Thanks John, thats a great answer. That confirms what I was thinking readlly, and you put it much better that I could have done!!

I agree the engine sounds throatier in 'S' mode, now you mention it.

Michael earlier mentioned an ECT switch? Do 250's have this?? (sorry I am such a noob!!)

Michael earlier mentioned an ECT switch? Do 250's have this?? (sorry I am such a noob!!)

Yup. Located under the steering on the left hand side, next to the traction control button.

I have to admit I have never used it.

Have you tried setting the ECT switch to 'pwr'? That sharpens up the gear changes, so if you brake on the approach to a bend or roundabout the gearbox will go straight down to (say) third without any need for you to to use the paddles.

On the subject of the 'Power Switch' First off can I say what a bloomin stupid place to put it, completely out of sight and only accessible by memory and feel!! I know that it doesn't takee too long to memorise its position but I would have thought that a better location would have been somewhere on the centre console close to the gear stick.

Secondly, another nooby question if I may, to the more experienced of you........what differnce is there in acceleration between using the 'S' mode and using the 'Power Switch', is there any?

I tell you what, I am learning so much from you fellow members and I thank you all for your valued input. Thank you so much.

I tend to leave it in 'ECT pwr' mode because it does not really seem to harm fuel consumption, so why change it. My best ever mpg figures (about 41 mpg from one measured fill) have been obtained in pwr mode. No need then to fumble for the hidden switch.

Not sure about using the paddles for braking though. Using them or the gear lever to lock the car in first or second gear before a steep descent makes sense, and I do that on one particularly wicked hill every time, even though with the brakes on it would probably stay in second gear anyway; but shouldn't we use the brakes to slow the car before a bend? Isn't that what they are for? Autoboxes are more expensive than brake pads, so let the brakes do the job. When you brake, the car will then change down and select the right gear by itself. It is probably much better at doing that than we are.

A variant of the police / IAM driving mantra 'use brakes to slow and gears to go'?

I tend to leave it in 'ECT pwr' mode because it does not really seem to harm fuel consumption, so why change it. My best ever mpg figures (about 41 mpg from one measured fill) have been obtained in pwr mode. No need then to fumble for the hidden switch.

Interesting stuff. Will try this.

Not sure about using the paddles for braking though. Using them or the gear lever to lock the car in first or second gear before a steep descent makes sense, and I do that on one particularly wicked hill every time, even though with the brakes on it would probably stay in second gear anyway; but shouldn't we use the brakes to slow the car before a bend? Isn't that what they are for? Autoboxes are more expensive than brake pads, so let the brakes do the job. When you brake, the car will then change down and select the right gear by itself. It is probably much better at doing that than we are.

A variant of the police / IAM driving mantra 'use brakes to slow and gears to go'?

On slopes what I tend to do is brake to achieve desired speed and then put the car into S and downshift till I find a gear that prevents the car from accelerating too quickly. Otherwise the car is just aching to switch to 5th and shoot down the road.

I never downshift without using the brakes first on slopes as I too am of the opinion that it's not good for the transmission.

I mainly used them in the 250, and even more so in the IS-F, for gradual engine braking rather than over-using the brakes.

Me too.

It's excellent in that respect.

Mine automatically lowers the gears when driving down a steepish decline. This is the case when in any of the ect modes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links