Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

16 Weeks Of Ownership, Speakers Failed, Not Covered, Should Dealer Hel

Hi

Just had a bitter experience with regards to "Lexus" 5 Year old Car Approved warranty. I'm not stupid and saw that multi media systems are excluded on the Lexus web-site however seeing as Lexus used car adverts always show the symbol - MM - when the car has a multi media system I naively thought that as my SE had only the normal radio/cd I would be covered! WRONG!!!!!

I've had the car just four months and now the dealer I bought it from has said (their words) the speakers are "shot". The claim has been turned down and I am left with a £490 bill. I have made my feelings very clear and I am expecting some support from the dealer after only 16 weeks ownership. I'm not holding my breath though.

Am I being unfair in expecting help from the dealer, do you consider the Lexus wording misleading? Why not just say in-car entertainment is not covered? Opinions much appreciated!

Hi mate!I would ring Lexus headquaters and put a complaint...then you will see what they say to you tell them your story and also that you felt dissapointed by the service and that wasnt explainted to you ,on the endthey left you with nearly £500 bill!

Thanks, Pretty sure I'll get nowhere from past Lexus HO experience! Dealer has offered me £75 so I'm still facing a £415 bill.

Guess I've just got to grin and bear it, not sure about my next car purchase though.....

Am I being unfair in expecting help from the dealer, do you consider the Lexus wording misleading? Why not just say in-car entertainment is not covered?

What is and isn't covered in a warranty is a defensive tactic used by Lexus dealers, (I've discovered anyway). Your legal rights are not affected by any guarantee or warranty you have.

Please see: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/cars_buying_a_car_e/cars_buying_a_secondhand_car_e/cars_what_to_watch_out_for_when_buying_a_second_hand_car_e/buying_a_car_from_a_dealer_what_you_need_to_know.htm

Count yourself lucky. I was sold a used approved RX400h by Lexus Reading that wasn't safe or fit to drive.

Don't be scared off by, "Not under warranty" - the amount your claiming is perfectly sized for the small claims court. Exercise your rights.

sale of goods act gives you 6 months before burden of proof for defects is shifted from seller to buyer, unless i'm wrong about sound systems, maybe someone could confirm, but if i'm right, you shouldn't pay anything for repairs, regardess of any "warranty"

sale of goods act gives you 6 months before burden of proof for defects is shifted from seller to buyer

Correct Rory. I don't think Tom has anything to be worried about.

Tom, I'd give the dealer 14 days to respond anyway with this new information you've gotten here. Else, small claims can be initiated online now https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

All the best.

Over the years, I have had a three warranty issues, each with with a different car manufacturer (nont with Lexus, but I don't think it would be appropriate to name them here).

Each time, I wrote to the HQ / Customer Services, and sent my letter recorded delivery. In each letter, I expressed my disappointment as a loyal customer, and stated that I may consider moving to a different brand when changing car.

Each time, I also made it clear that I would write to the Top Gear and the What Car help line.

In all cases, the manufacturer offered either to cover 75% of costs, or to pick up the whole bill.

Manufacturers are not keen to see this type of issues documented in the press... I would hope that a manufacturer such as Lexus, with its reputation for reliability and good customer service would follow that trend.

I would suggest that this course of action may be more speedy, more effective and less costly that going through the small claimes court. Also, a small claims court case is less likely to attract bad publicity.

Why not giving it a go!?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links