Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are My Discs Warped? If So How Bad?

petayV8

Ive recently noticed if I hold the wheel very lightly or even not at all when braking, the wheel will vibrate slightly back and forth. This doesnt happen all the time, as tried this morning and was fine. I do short trips mainly in my IS. If im holding the wheel normally even with one hand I dont feel any vibrations or movement when braking. So question is how badly warped (assuming thats the issue) are they,and how long do i wait to replace them. Ive just had new pads all round and the rotors are fairly new also, hence the reason im a not to keen on spending money on them again any time soon

Without a dial gauge it is very difficult to determine how much run out is present.

If the IS has caliper pins it may be worth checking they aren't seizing as this can cause uneven braking, realistically these should have been checked when the new pads were fitted.

wow thanks for the info! It wasnt me who had the brakes done, it was the previous owner and considering the fact he put on the wrong pads on the back i wouldnt trust he checked anything! is this something i can check myself by just taking the wheel off? and ive only just bought the correct pads for the rear but still havent fit them... they have play and do not have mounting pins like front, would this cause the issue also?

You can check the pins yourself but if you don't know what your looking for then prob best to take it to a garage for them to look at. They should be well greased and move freely. Get the back pads changed if their not the correct ones.

I had issues with the brakes on my IS and I ignored it for a bit.... Big mistake! I had to get 2 new callipers as the pins had seized and 4 discs and 4 pads. Total bill just for parts...£550! And that's getting them from eBay so not paying garage or dealer price!

After a normal drive around town for example, put your hand near the wheel/disc. If you feel quite abit of heat coming off, chances are its a siezed caliper. Compare the temperature with the other wheels to get an idea of how warm they should be. You could also jack the car up and try spinning the wheels by hand. They should spin freely. Also listen for the discs catching in places. and not to be offensive or anything but just remember the handbrake is on the rear wheels lol just some people i think forget that. :phone:

• 2 weeks later...

Well got it checked over and yes front discs slightly warped but not badly, so that explains that. However checked the rear pads and the new ones I got are exactly the same design and would also rattle! the holes on the pads is too big for the pin and the pads move, however was told its perfectly fine and safe however just will have annoying rattle! ive checked other pads online and holes are same size so what are my pins missing something? So if anyone want a pair of brand new rear brabus pads PM me

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links