Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dumber Than Dumb Or Be Careful If You Change That Tiny Battery!

OK I did something really stupid........

This morning went to start the Rx400h and no power to move the machine. I am the second owner. Looked at the tiny Battery and realised it was the original.

2005 model so that's 7 years of use. I found a replacement on the net and as the car wouldn't move I fitted it myself. Big mistake coming up. it was the right size -

and fitted in the box and when I connected the second terminal all the headlights came on. I swiftly looked in the front. No keys - they were in my pocket. Dashboard

dead. Pulled the terminal leads off to discover I had managed to connect it - with positive earth!!!! My excuse was that the terminals were almost the same size and

because I had put the Battery in with the terminals as per the original and it was dark in the garage I had really screwed up.

Anyone else done anything as dumb??? The RAC guy found many dead fuses but once he got close to the 650volt area he had to say it needs a Lexus garage. So it

is off tomorrow to be revived - hopefully. Now most fuses are replaced all the fans run at high revs. One of my Macs used to do that and I had to reset the PRAM.

Anyone else been down this painful road?

Thanks in advance.........

BJ

I've seen reports before but never on a hybrid, on the LS it normally takes out the big 120A alternator fuse along with several lower rated ones.

Hopefully the invertor is well protected.

Once you have been to Lexus and recovered from the experience would you please come back with the result, it's bound to happen again in the future and the information may help other members.

Once you have been to Lexus and recovered from the experience would you please come back with the result, it's bound to happen again in the future and the information may help other members.

Lexus called and the big 100 or 150 Amp? fuze protected the vitals! Apparently the Halfords Battery is the wrong size [strange as it fitted inside the plastic Battery box perfectly] so Lexus want to fit their own Battery. I can see that Monday morning may result in a few words being exchanged as I would prefer to fit the correct size but maybe a Calcium variety with more capacity. Anyway at least the main problem is sorted.

Hi guys!when we talk about the Battery can someone please confirm what type of Battery is required?I looked in the catalogue in car shop the other day and it shows 45Ah(or similar Ah and of course same size what plastic Battery box so it fits perfectly!)I thought that you need something bigger for the size of the car..Cheers

AFAIK the plastic Battery box defines the absolute limit in Battery size. Don't know about capacity but I see the Rx450 has a much bigger Battery. If you look at someone like

Halfrauds, their catalogue items [2] for the Rx400 have one Battery that doesn't even fit either width or length-wise! The smaller Battery has the terminals on the wrong side

compared to the OEM Lexus version.

I carry a backup Battery device in the boot. My 'Man' at Lexus told me to only use the key when intending to drive off, avoid the Aux position [for sat nav and radio] for long

periods and no DVDs while parked and don't leave interior lights on either. I am putting LED interior lights in my 2005 Rx to reduce Battery drain.

Lexus Guildford did a superb job and the charge was v.reasonable. I am a happy bunny :shifty:

Fairly good result then, Not a bad guess with the fuse and it did its job and protected the circuits.

I don't know if it is across the whole Lexus range but the batteries always seem to have their terminals the other way around.

Thanks for coming back with the result.

No but when I get home I will. A pal fitted them and they seem fine.

Fitted the interior LEDs and they are a brighter item - white - easy to fit if you have a thin flat steel blade to gently prise open the lamp housings.

I would expect that the fading/dimming of the lights will not work, which is a shame. I changed my stock indicator bulbs for LED replacements (also had to change the indicator relay to stop them flashing too quickly), they worked a treat, downside though, was that when I turned the alarm on and off, the indicator lights did not flash and I like this option.

It's something to do with LED bulbs not pulling as much power as normal bulbs (I think).

If anyone want these LED bulbs and the relay, I am sure we can come to an arrangement !!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links