Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Two Tyres Required Is220 - 225/40/18's Any Suggestions ?

I need two new front tyres and am just looking around at the moment, (I currently have Bridgestone Potenzaz on) has anyone recently replaced any tyres or have any recommendations?

I think I am going to buy them from Blackcircles and get them fitted locally as this works out the cheaaper option (unless I can haggle the same price locally)

Thanks in advance

Paul

Strange as it may sound, I can recommend Kumho. I had read a few good reviews when I was a member of the Honda Accord forum. I now have a set on the front of my IS250. A excellent tyre with low road noise, and good grip in the wet. I used Avon's. before, and the Kumho's are better.

I also buy my tyres at Blackcircles.com

First let me say that I have no experience with Kumhos on my IS, but that I have them on all corners of my Freelander.

The tyre noise from my Freelander is quite noticeable since I switched (from Goodyear), so I thought it worth mentioning.

Of course the tyre sizes and profiles will be totally different, so Hondaman's experience is probably the better post to consider.

I should also add that I was warned in advance by the fitter that the Kumhos would probably be noisier, so I was well prepared.

It doesn't matter a jot with my workhorse Freelander, but I would be miffed if I had the same experience with my lovely quiet IS.

my IS came with Pirelli's P Zero rosso's when I got it and they are quiet good in thedry but wet doesn't grip as good... but again why would one want to drive like Hamilton in the wet anyway just take it easy on the throttle and you will be fine...noise depends on the tarmac I am driving on..its quiet on a freshly laid tarmac but slightly noisy on an old tarmac..then again they are 18" low profiles so will be inherently noisy... mine will be due changing in a few thousand miles and I'm torn between bridgestone potenzas, Toyo Proxes 4 or Yokohama Parada Spec 2 all are established Japanese Performance tires which comes in most performance Japanese cars..decisions decisions..... blackcircles seems to be cheaper than most i recon

Possibly a good time for winter tyres, but other than that, my experiences with Toyo T1R , Falken FK452 and Nexen 8000 was really good. In comparison bridgestones were really noisy and ride was quite hard in them.

My IS came with four almost brand new (sub 1000 miles) Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (K110) tyres on them, and I honestly cannot fault them. They aren't particularly noisy (although at the same time not the quietest tyres either), comfortable (they have a slightly forgiving sidewall), but more importantly, they just don't unstick. Even in the wet they aren't what you'd call easy to break traction on. The sidewalls are forgiving enough to take the bumps and rumbles out of driving, but strong enough that when pushing it through long sweeping bends (the M25/M11 junctions are good for this) that they just grip and grip and grip. Sure, a lot of it is gonna be down to the car, and especially since it got set up at WIM, but I've been through the same bends, and almost the same speeds, with other tyres and not had the same grip level as these. And they aren't particularly expensive either (under £75 a corner supplied - in 17")

I have tried Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli and Goodyear on my two Lexus cars and the quietist tyres were definitely the Goodyear eagle f1's.

As one of the weakest points on the IS is the road noise it is probably the most important factor for me when buying tyres.

Carl

Ive got a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 2's and they have been good over the past 6000 miles ive had them for. Wear seems to be fine, and a lot less road noise than the OEM Bridgestone Turanza's they replaced. They are also the highest rated summer tyre at the moment.

Thanks for all you views on this. I have also been looking at some Vredstein Vorti tyres, they seem to get some really good reviews and are a good price however I have never heard of the brand, are they a mid range or premium tyre ??

http://www.vredestein.co.uk/car-tyres/summer/ultrac-vorti/info/

I think its Italian like Pirelli's... as you can see there are lots of posts on here about different tyres to go for based on individual preference or brand loyalty but dont forget we all drive differently and prefer differnet levels of comfort in our cars. some wont mind how noisy or harsh a tire is to the car so long as it handles and grips like glue whilst others prefer more quieter ride and wont care about if it can stick doing 60mph round a bend without loosing grip or how fast it can stop from 100mph to 0 in heavy pooring rain.. if I were in your shoes I would either go with what Lexus fitted your car with from factory as there was a reason why that brand of tyre was used or go for ones you prefer and can afford from the bunch. dont forget there is nothing like the perfect tyre brand as they all differ in the way they grip, acceleration, cornering, noise level, wet handling etc is delivered to the car so .e.g. Continetals might suite Mercedes cars but stick the same on a Subaru Impreza and it will be a different story same as how say Yokohamas will suite the Subaru but Audi A4 wont like it.. tyre choice depends on how a car is setup aswell. Good luck .

Thanks for all your replies on this subject, after lots of reviews I have decided to go for these:

http://www.elitedirect.com/2254018-vredestein-ultrac-vorti.html

They appear to be very good for grip, the price is good and I am going to get them fitted locally.

One last question, has anyone used Elitedirect.com for tyres ? Any issues?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links