Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best Tip I've Been Given In Years

You guys may be aware of this but it was news to me and I thought I'd share it. My Sportcross was in for it's service at Glasgow Lexus (Brilliant garage BTW) and I had asked them to look at the seat belts which had become slow to retract. They fully extended the belts and sprayed them with silicone oil (You can buy it in Halfords at £4.00 a tin) and then buffed it off with a micr fibre towel. Result is nothing short of amazing, like brand new belts which shoot back into place. They also used the silicone oil on the window guides meaning the windows go up and down much more smoothly. I also put some on the retracting mirror with the same results. Not sure if this is the correct forum but i guess we are all running cars nearly 10 years old or more so thought it relevent to the group.

Has anyone else had any good simple tips or uses for the silicone oil or similar. Mechanic said never use WD40.

Cheers guys, and gals.

Ed in Glasgow

That's interesting I way always under the impression that it wasn't a good idea to apply any chemicals to seat belts as it could affect the webbing material. It says in the handbook to use mild soap and water just to clean them.

Having said that if Lexus do it that's good enough for me.

If sprayed on the windows does it not leave a residue on the glass everytime it winds up and down... or the weather gets wet??

It has done on my Cougar no matter how much I tried to wipe it off :( :(

I got some on my windows when doing the frame channels, and it came off easily enough with glass cleaner. I also use it a lot at work, fitting windscreens, and it comes off easily enough there too.

I use dash board shine (back to black) as a lube on all sorts of window rubbers and so forth. It has a high silicone content. I put it in window channels and is works fine. if you spray is into the channel you dont get it on the glass.

I use it as i have a small used car section at my garage and always have a can of back to black kicking about.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links