Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Fault With Ls400

Rodt

Just collected my "new" 1996 LS400 yesterday. It has done 137k with a full dealer service history up to 118k then an independent garage stamp.

Everything seemed to work fine except that on two occasions the engine died. On the first occasion I don't know exactly when it stopped as the engine is inaudible at tickover and I had been sitting at traffic lights for a couple of minutes. On the second occasion I was slowing to turn into a motorway services car park and the engine died at just a few mph.

On both occasions the engine restarted immediately with no apparent issues. Also on both occasions I had left the cruise control switched on - could this be it?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

PS: other than that, what an excellent car if somewhat more difficult to park than my MGF or Triumph Toledo.....

Have the throttle body cleaned out ...... that might be causing the idle to drop a little too low after a run and just cut out rather than idling just sufficiently.

Happened to me and all sorts of thoughts went thru' our minds on this forum then after a while my mechanic guy thought the solution might be as described.

So far it seems to work !

Malc

Welcome to the LOC.

Here's one someone did earlier albeit on a 1994 but similar enough to give you an idea.

Personally I would not use the screwdriver suggested as a scraper but perhaps a reshaped ice lolly stick or similar and avoid getting cleaner in the throttle position sensor on the side ( you can remove it but it will need setting up again)

http://www.lexls.com...rottlebody.html

Brilliant step by step guide Steve. I will show it to 'my man'. Unfortunately I have developed a serious problem in my right (dominant!) hand due to a badly healed wrist injury from 5 years ago plus diabetic neuropathy. This is one of the reasons I opted for the LS400 in view of the light power steering.

'My man' charges a very reasonable price for his work and was already booked to do a service and check for me on Monday.

I have had no problems since the initial drive home but the use since then has only been relatively local at no more than 50mph and over distances of no more than 10 miles at a go. The journey home from purchase was 110 miles including some motorway (or maybe motorway+) speeds.

I am convinced that joining the LOC has been a rare sensible decision on my part. Thanks everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Oops! Completely forgot to have the throttle body check out. However, I had already used an over-the-counter fuel injection additive and so did the garage.

Have since had a couple of high(ish) speed runs - obviously totally within the safe and legal limits - with no issues at all. The tickover was around 500rpm at first but is now around 700. The handbook suggests 750 so we're not far off.

I had to buy 4 new tyres as the nearly new Avons were slashed, thanks to a local who was not happy about my objection to his planning application, which had not been budgeted for so I had to fit Barum Bravuris as they were the cheapest I could find @ £316.00 the set. They actually feel better in the wet than the Avons and certainly no more noisy at motorway speeds. The slasher was caught and prosecuted but he's a halfwit stooge with no money and the originator of the deed could not be proved. Plus I opted for a £350 excess to keep the insurance costs down so I'm rather irritated at being out of pocket.

Still, it's a brilliant car and I love driving it on all sorts of roads.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links