Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Another Thread About Lpg Repairs

As some of you will remember, my LPG system was producing quite a noticeable whiff around the boot area resulting in my stopping using it whilst it was investigated. I've run it on petrol for a month or so and been fairly surprised by the good mpg that I got (certainly a lot better than my previous car, a BMW 530se. Anyway, after quite a wait, my mechanic got the requisite parts and started work.

At that point, he quickly realised that something wasn't right. The previous company had installed the wrong regulator (hence the whiff) and there was also a solenoid valve leaking. Thankfully, new parts have been fitted and the system now seems to be working perfectly. I've filled her up and I'm going to keep a careful eye on the consumption/mileage.

These multipoint systems are meant to be fantastic and I'm hoping this is one is now sorted for the foreseeable future. But having done a lot of phoning around to various companies and installers, there does seem to be quite a wide variance in terms of advice and guidance. When you find a good mechanic, it pays to stick with them in my opinion.

It wasn't brilliant before, from memory around 200 250 miles for the 50 litres. Given the cost (75p/litre) it was favourable but I'm hoping for a bit more now the system is working properly with the right regulator and new valves/filters.

It wasn't brilliant before, from memory around 200 250 miles for the 50 litres. Given the cost (75p/litre) it was favourable but I'm hoping for a bit more now the system is working properly with the right regulator and new valves/filters.

In my 430 I get 250 miles from 65 litres (85 litre tank) - probably a little less in the winter - so 250 from 50 litres is pretty good.

Bren

In my 430 I get 250 miles from 65 litres (85 litre tank) - probably a little less in the winter - so 250 from 50 litres is pretty good.

Bren

That's interesting. I've just filled her up and I'll report back on the mileage now repairs are done. It won't be for a while though. Not much driving planned between now and the New Year.

As some of you will remember, my LPG system was producing quite a noticeable whiff around the boot area resulting in my stopping using it whilst it was investigated. I've run it on petrol for a month or so and been fairly surprised by the good mpg that I got (certainly a lot better than my previous car, a BMW 530se. Anyway, after quite a wait, my mechanic got the requisite parts and started work.

At that point, he quickly realised that something wasn't right. The previous company had installed the wrong regulator (hence the whiff) and there was also a solenoid valve leaking. Thankfully, new parts have been fitted and the system now seems to be working perfectly. I've filled her up and I'm going to keep a careful eye on the consumption/mileage.

These multipoint systems are meant to be fantastic and I'm hoping this is one is now sorted for the foreseeable future. But having done a lot of phoning around to various companies and installers, there does seem to be quite a wide variance in terms of advice and guidance. When you find a good mechanic, it pays to stick with them in my opinion.

Brilliant. Happy, luxurious motoring and moderately priced fuel. I hate using the word cheap when connected with our Lexus's.

When asking people about anything until someone actually gets hold of the car and does a thorough investigation all ideas are just guess work.

I cant remember did you buy yours already converted?

Mike

Yes, I got mine already converted. It had been done a few years ago (multi-point Prins) and had been serviced once. However, there was clearly a fault with the system which, hopefully, has been rectified. As someone who relies on a professional mechanic for anything other than moderate DIY servicing etc, this has certainly been a problem for the expert to solve! Having said that, I've enjoyed doing bits and pieces of work on this car more than any other car I've owned. It is brilliantly put together and the advice and feedback I've got from here has been fantastic. Thanks gents.

Bren

That's exactly what I get 17 miles per gallon on LPG (mixed round town and dual carriageway - but the dual carriageway is only about 6 miles 4 times a day. 2001 LS430.

Mike

Bren

That's exactly what I get 17 miles per gallon on LPG (mixed round town and dual carriageway - but the dual carriageway is only about 6 miles 4 times a day. 2001 LS430.

Mike

My LPG tank is 80 liters and fills to around 75 liters and I get 330 miles out of that fill up. 20MPG.

Mike

My tank takes 72 litres to fill up but I check my mileage with the trip meter after putting both lpg and petrol in. It's quite surprising how much petrol is needed to top up especially round town with lots of stop/starts. Often 11 or 12 litres, which I then add to the 72 before calculating the 17mpg

Mike

My tank takes 72 litres to fill up but I check my mileage with the trip meter after putting both lpg and petrol in. It's quite surprising how much petrol is needed to top up especially round town with lots of stop/starts. Often 11 or 12 litres, which I then add to the 72 before calculating the 17mpg

Mike

I cant find the thread about the Engine management Lights failing the MOT. I got it wrong. Among the many things my mechanic told me was changing or had changed was the fact that they are trying to bring that into the MOT. Twice a year they get sent a list of things which are to changing the coming year but many don't ever come to fruition as each change needs to go through parliament to become law.

So I most humbly apologise to my learned friend Mike Sands and promise I will listen closer next time to what is being said to me. Mike

No problem Mike - I wouldn't say I knew any better than you - just that your post worried me into researching it :D

The best solution of course would be for my guy to be able to fix it but we've both given up (He has a 430 of his own whose light does not come on, so bit by bit he's swapped almost all the compnents from his car to mine, but still his light stays off and mine comes on - go figure)

Mike

It will be something daft but I'm sure somewhere out there on 'tinterweb some will know.

By the way 17 round town is about what I get on gas so I suspect yours is about right. It obviously jumps up when I get some long runs.

It will be something daft but I'm sure somewhere out there on 'tinterweb some will know.

By the way 17 round town is about what I get on gas so I suspect yours is about right. It obviously jumps up when I get some long runs.

In my case it only 'jumps' up to 21mpg on a run. And since i get 30mpg on petrol it's pretty disappointing almost 30% worse.

Mike

In my case it only 'jumps' up to 21mpg on a run. And since i get 30mpg on petrol it's pretty disappointing almost 30% worse.

Mike

I know they quote that you don't get as many MPG on LPG as you do with Petrol but I have never checked on any of the cars I have owned, however what you are experiencing does seem way out of kilter and would definitely make me think something is a miss.

Mike

At the risk of being shot down by the LPG advocates, I contend that unless the LPG engine is deliberately run a lot leaner than the petrol engine then my results are normal. LPG has 27% less oomph in it than petrol see http://www.afdc.energy.gov/pdfs/afv_info.pdf so it ain't surprising that I'm getting about 30% worse mpg

Mike

At the risk of being shot down by the LPG advocates, I contend that unless the LPG engine is deliberately run a lot leaner than the petrol engine then my results are normal. LPG has 27% less oomph in it than petrol see http://www.afdc.ener...fs/afv_info.pdf so it ain't surprising that I'm getting about 30% worse mpg

Mike

I wont shoot you down in flames but what those figures don't take into account is the efficiency of any particular engine and that is a variant which moves widely and also the condition of an engine. These figures are attend under laboratory conditions.

I know for a fact there is little or no difference between accelerating on gas as opposed to petrol. As to the MPG there are so many variants that effect what MPG you get from your car its impossible to say that you should categorically get X MPG to the gallon but yours is so wide of the mark that suggest there is a problem.

The only way for certain to get exact figures is to fill both petrol tank and LPG tank and work out a circuit of around 50 to 60 miles and make sure that the circuit ends up at the petrol station you originally filled up at and before you start the LPG circuit fill the petrol tank up so the carrying weight is the same and then do the same on LPG making sure you make a note of the mileage and then refilling your LPG at the same station and this should give you a much more accurate figure as to what your car is doing after you have the results you can take it from there.

I hope I am not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs apologies if so.

Mike

The only way for certain to get exact figures is to fill both petrol tank and LPG tank and work out a circuit of around 50 to 60 miles and make sure that the circuit ends up at the petrol station you originally filled up at and before you start the LPG circuit fill the petrol tank up so the carrying weight is the same and then do the same on LPG making sure you make a note of the mileage and then refilling your LPG at the same station and this should give you a much more accurate figure as to what your car is doing after you have the results you can take it from there.

Mike

Great idea that I won't have time to try Mike! For now, I'm watching the LPG LED lights go down one at a time. So far, done over 90 miles and the first light (of four) has only just switched off.

Also, the tick over sound of my car on LPG is noticeable different (and slightly louder) than when running on petrol. Anyone else notice this?

Mike

Great idea that I won't have time to try Mike! For now, I'm watching the LPG LED lights go down one at a time. So far, done over 90 miles and the first light (of four) has only just switched off.

Also, the tick over sound of my car on LPG is noticeable different (and slightly louder) than when running on petrol. Anyone else notice this?

I never take any notice of the lights on the LPG gauge as they are not accurate. I can fill up and within 20 miles one of the lights goes out which is nonsense. Most people as I am sure you do just run on the tripometer. As for the sound your engine makes I get no difference in audible engine noise and have never had a difference on any of my cars that run on LPG.

Mike.

Bluesman is right - sometimes you will seemingly have 3 green lights on and the next time you look the red light is on which then lasts another 100 miles. My engine was much noisier on the gas than the petrol but my guy changed something and it quietened down no end - I think it was some kind of condenser or evaporator?

Bluesman - I am pretty confident that the figures I am quoting you are accurate. Prior to getting LPG fitted I did about 25k miles and I checked my mileage on every occasion via the trip and a complete fill of the tank. I was getting 22-23 mpg on my normal around town driving (bit of a misnomer because my trip to work is 6 miles on the A19 (4 times a day). If I drove to London or Cardiff I would do the same kind of checks and sitting at an indicated 75mph for 4 to 5 hours I would get 29-30mpg. I have now done 30k miles on LPG and nothing has changed in my driving habits . If I check the mpg on the Cardiff run then I can discount the petrol as it hasn't used any so the LPG mpg is a true 21mpg. Round town at first I used to work out how many litres of petrol I had put in, work this out at 23mpg in miles and deduct this from the mileage on the trip meter. This gave me the number of miles I must have covered on gas, and this worked out at 16-17mpg. I stopped bothering with the adjustment a while ago and just use the total of the petrol and gas in litres divided into the total mileage covered - which means the LPG is getting a slight benefit of the doubt and is 17mpg.

I'm sorry to have to confess what a sad life I have :eerrrmm: but I wanted to explain why I am reasonably sure I'm getting accurate figures.

Mike

Mike

I never take any notice of the lights on the LPG gauge as they are not accurate. I can fill up and within 20 miles one of the lights goes out which is nonsense. Most people as I am sure you do just run on the tripometer. As for the sound your engine makes I get no difference in audible engine noise and have never had a difference on any of my cars that run on LPG.

Mike.

The gas injectors will tic when you run on gas so the engine will sound different - my 430 is a little louder outside but not in the cabin.

On the fuel consumption my petrol long term average (the only real measure not Mike's race track idea) was 22mpg in 120K miles of mixed fast motorway (a lot) and town. My LPG consumtion (over 85K miles) is 65 litres (useable bit of an 80l tank) gives me 17.9 MPG - LPG has 80% of the energy of petrol so my back of a fag packet calculation looks as if the car is running well. The gain is in the price difference at the pump - 78p vs £1.35 where I live = 43% on my fag packet.

If I drove nicely I could use less fuel and do better than 43% savng on petrol. I have a 4.3l V8 that does the equvalent of 30 petrol mpg when running on LPG.

The LPG fuel indicator is a joke so I don't drive on that - I fill up on mileage.

Bren

Bluesman is right - sometimes you will seemingly have 3 green lights on and the next time you look the red light is on which then lasts another 100 miles. My engine was much noisier on the gas than the petrol but my guy changed something and it quietened down no end - I think it was some kind of condenser or evaporator?

Bluesman - I am pretty confident that the figures I am quoting you are accurate. Prior to getting LPG fitted I did about 25k miles and I checked my mileage on every occasion via the trip and a complete fill of the tank. I was getting 22-23 mpg on my normal around town driving (bit of a misnomer because my trip to work is 6 miles on the A19 (4 times a day). If I drove to London or Cardiff I would do the same kind of checks and sitting at an indicated 75mph for 4 to 5 hours I would get 29-30mpg. I have now done 30k miles on LPG and nothing has changed in my driving habits . If I check the mpg on the Cardiff run then I can discount the petrol as it hasn't used any so the LPG mpg is a true 21mpg. Round town at first I used to work out how many litres of petrol I had put in, work this out at 23mpg in miles and deduct this from the mileage on the trip meter. This gave me the number of miles I must have covered on gas, and this worked out at 16-17mpg. I stopped bothering with the adjustment a while ago and just use the total of the petrol and gas in litres divided into the total mileage covered - which means the LPG is getting a slight benefit of the doubt and is 17mpg.

I'm sorry to have to confess what a sad life I have :eerrrmm: but I wanted to explain why I am reasonably sure I'm getting accurate figures.

Mike

I don't doubt that your mileage figures are correct but the difference you are getting is exorbitant.

Mike

Mike.

The gas injectors will tic when you run on gas so the engine will sound different - my 430 is a little louder outside but not in the cabin.

On the fuel consumption my petrol long term average (the only real measure not Mike's race track idea) was 22mpg in 120K miles of mixed fast motorway (a lot) and town. My LPG consumtion (over 85K miles) is 65 litres (useable bit of an 80l tank) gives me 17.9 MPG - LPG has 80% of the energy of petrol so my back of a fag packet calculation looks as if the car is running well. The gain is in the price difference at the pump - 78p vs £1.35 where I live = 43% on my fag packet.

If I drove nicely I could use less fuel and do better than 43% savng on petrol. I have a 4.3l V8 that does the equvalent of 30 petrol mpg when running on LPG.

The LPG fuel indicator is a joke so I don't drive on that - I fill up on mileage.

Bren

(the only real measure not Mike's race track idea)

My idea was not a race circuit, bloody cheek, but to do a journey twice of around 50 to 60 miles in length keeping to speed limits of course that would give you a good range of driving conditions that in turn would give you some more meaningful results.

NO RACE TRACKS INVOLVED

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links