Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg Improvment (Must Read)

rashid8998

CALLING ALL IS200 (2000)+ FANS

I AM GETTING 32+ MPG FROM MY IS200 AUTO ON CITY RUN U ALL WOUNDERING HOW ??

WELL THE IS200 IS CR@P WHEN IT COMES TO FUEL EFFEIENCEY 18-20 MPG ON CITY RUNN

THIS IS CAUSED DUE TO 4 CAT CONVERTERS ON THE CAR THIS RISTRICTS FLOW OF AIR

SO ITS STARVES THE CAR....SO WHAT I DID WAS BROUGHT A USED EXAUAST SYSTEM FROM LOCAL SCRAP YARD COST ME £50....TOOK OUT ALL THE CAT CONVERTER FILTER BASICLLY IT BREAKS OUT IN PIECES LIKE CHALK OR SOME WHAT ANY-WAY WASHED IT OUT WITH A HOSE PIPE AND TOOK OFF MY EXAUAST SYSTEM AND FITTED THIS SO CALLED CAT FREE SYSTEM...I WAS ON LOW FUEL ABOUT TO DIE WHICH I WANTED TO HAPPEN...I HAVE A JERRY CAN WITH 5LITERS OF FUEL ADDED TO TANK AND DROVE AROUND TILL IT DIED OUT AGAIN TO MY AMAZEMENT I GOT 32 MILES WOW...NOW THIS IS SAYING SOMETHING...I WENT BACK TO MY LOCAL MECANIK MADE HIM AWARE OF THIS...HE LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS OFF MY HEAD BUT HE DID SAY THAT THE IS200 WEAKNESS IS THE STRAVATION FROM THE CAT CONVERTERS........SO IN ONE HAND THE CAT ITS SELF IS HELPING THE ENVIROMENT TO A minimal BUT KILLING IS200 OWNERS POCKETS...PEEEPS BUT BE AWARE I DID EXAUST FUME TEST A BIG FAILIER NOT GOOD SO IT WONT PASS MOT

HAS ANY ONE COME ACROSS YHIS NEED HELP ....

SO ITS STARVES THE CAR....SO WHAT I DID WAS BROUGHT A USED EXAUAST SYSTEM FROM LOCAL SCRAP YARD COST ME £50....TOOK OUT ALL THE CAT CONVERTER FILTER BASICLLY IT BREAKS OUT IN PIECES LIKE CHALK OR SOME WHAT ANY-WAY WASHED IT OUT WITH A HOSE PIPE AND TOOK OFF MY EXAUAST SYSTEM AND FITTED THIS SO CALLED CAT FREE SYSTEM...I WAS ON LOW FUEL ABOUT TO DIE WHICH I WANTED TO HAPPEN...I HAVE A JERRY CAN WITH 5LITERS OF FUEL ADDED TO TANK AND DROVE AROUND TILL IT DIED OUT AGAIN TO MY AMAZEMENT I GOT 32 MILES WOW...NOW THIS IS SAYING SOMETHING...I WENT BACK TO MY LOCAL MECANIK MADE HIM AWARE OF THIS...HE LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS OFF MY HEAD BUT HE DID SAY THAT THE IS200 WEAKNESS IS THE STRAVATION FROM THE CAT CONVERTERS........SO IN ONE HAND THE CAT ITS SELF IS HELPING THE ENVIROMENT TO A minimal BUT KILLING IS200 OWNERS POCKETS...PEEEPS BUT BE AWARE I DID EXAUST FUME TEST A BIG FAILIER NOT GOOD SO IT WONT PASS MOT

How much will it cost to have the catalytic converters fitted in order to pass the MOT?

Why would you want to go to the hassle of removing 4 CATS only to have to put them back on again for the MOT just to save a bit on MPG?

If MPG is that important that you'll take your cars exhaust system apart to gain a few more miles per tank then maybe the IS200 isn't the right car for you, maybe a Prius? :whistling:

Plus your damaging the environment which isn't very responsible.

Not had my IS that long and had a sticky brake for awhile, now its all fixed im achieving 26.4MPG 80% town driving, im very happy with this. and its a auto.

So how do stop the engine management throwing up fault codes? The post Cat sensor will detect a fault.

Very interesting.

I'm guessing this is cheaper than buying a decat pipe, and when your

MOT is due you can just refit your old exhaust with the cats in place

I would be intersted to know how you can avoid the fault code though.

On Tuesday I posted a pic after filling up with petrol. 122891 miles on the clock. I've been hoping and praying that I can get my is200 Sportcross to be frugal. I filled up today. 60.13 litres went in. I'd driven 404 miles before the light came on to say I was running low, but it's got a 70litre tank? So I still had nearly ten litres left?

Anyway. 404 miles travelled on 60.13 litres of fuel. Mainly b roads between Caerphilly, Newport and Cardiff and occasionally using Snow Mode to restrict acceleration. 30.54 mpg.

30.54mpg.

Those who know the Welsh roads know how hilly they are and you cannot avoid quite heavy acceleration, so to get an average mpg of 30.54 from my is200, I'm amazed.

And I haven't done anything to the catalytic converters, I've just been driving cautiously like a priest. It isn't fun or cool.

Stuart.

Calculate the economy based on a full tank and then report back to us. My guess is there will be little or no difference.

Will continue to monitor and inform. That 404 miles was done on a full tank until needing to stop. I'm sure the fuel economy woul be slightly better if I ran half tanks instead. Driving a Lexus calmly probably defeat the object, everybody behind me is expecting me to put my foot down, but heyho, I'm having fun. Heated Seats. Mmmmmm

Rashid, contrary to what you are stating, the catalytic convertors on a standard IS200 impose no restriction whatever on exhaust gas-flow unless they are clogged or otherwise knackered - which after 10 years they could have been. The OEM Catalytic convertors have many more times the capacity the engine requires. This means that if you replace them with new OEM parts, you will still get the same mpg improvement and as a bonus, drive legally and the car will pass the MOT.

There is nothing you can do with exhaust systems, air filters, induction kits etc. which will make any significant difference to mpg. The only real difference you can make is care with steering-geometry/tyres/pressures, avoiding use of aircon except when necessary, not carrying excessive weight and above all, driving style.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links