Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2002 Is300 Auto - Water In My Headlight! Dealer (Stealer) Saying

Hi,

Had my car for a fortnight - impressed so far...but....

Car is at the main dealer haviing a cambelt done. Good news is that the water pump is spot on the technician said, same goes for the tensioner etc...

They said that i have water in my headlight (ns) and to replace it is £330!!!!!!

Apparently the bulb is flickering and could blow...is this a common problem?

The IS300 have the HID lights, but obviously mine has gone water in it(!)

Help!

Cheers,

S

To dry it out just remove bulb and give headlamp a blast with hairdryer, replacement bulbs are available on e-gay, no need to replace headlight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Lexus-IS300-HID-XENON-REPLACEMENT-BULBS-D4S-6000K-/350470494659?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5199ab59c3

As Lance has pointed out its always best to replace water pump and tensioners at same time as belt, could look ok but if they fail can be disastrous and cause more expense at the least.

okey doke, cheers.

They aren't replacing water pump or tensioner - it's only done 41k miles with Lexus dealer history (11 stamps).

Although it's best practice to replace water pump, as you need to take the belt off to access it, it wasn't necessary they said.

The techie said 4 in 10 he does on the IS300 from a water pump perspective. They are the old GS300 engines / inherited from Supra, he knows them inside out.

Rgds.

Whenever the cambelt fails it is mainly due to the tensioner/idler wearing and throwing the belt off. For the sake of a few quid it makes sense to fit new parts while you are in there. Same goes for a water pump.

"You don't need a new waterpump,tensioner or idler sir, but you do need a £330.00 headlight unit!"

Hmmmmmmmm. Think I would rather get my hair drier out and replace a bulb rather than risk wrecking an engine.

Ask for a written guarantee that the Water Pump, tensioner and idler will be fine for another 60,000 miles and see what response you get.

Get it replaced. You were fed very bad advice from the technician.

Put it this way. Whenever I worked for a garage and a customer wanted a timing belt changed but didn't want to pay for a tensioner or a clutch to be replaced without the release bearing ect. This was always noted that it was offered but refused so the garage was covered in the event the tensioner ect failed and then blamed us for not putting it in.

I would phone up and speak to the service manager right away.

phoned them up. technician went through the car and picked up on the headlight issue with water in it. apart from that, tensioner and water pump isn't required they said. I clarified this with them 3 times over the phone. they will provide full report. how does that sound?

Don't panic, if Lexus say the parts will last until your next cam belt replacement that's fine, I must admit when I replaced mine the old bits were still in perfect condition but I have always been a firm believer in replacing the whole hog.

There have been some horror stories of belts fraying to half their normal width due to the bearing wear allowing the belt to slide off the cams and rub against the cover.

Again there have been reporta of belts doing 150K without replacement.

At the end of the day Lexus are the experts so let them decide but I would get it in writing that they (Lexus) have told you the other parts do not need replacing.

If you want to be really scared take a look at the link below!

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=57335

The reason why I was always told to replace these items as the new belt will be much tighter than an older belt, this in turn will put a whole load of extra tension onto the old tensioners and idlers causing them to wear at an increased rate. How true that is I do not know but it does make sense.

If Lexus are that confident in the parts they'll happily put it in writing that they advised you not to get parts replaced as they were not necessary and will be good up to the next scheduled cambelt change........... I'd love to see that!!

This has come up in another thread. Don't need to change tensioner and idler as the 300 engine is more robust!

I, like Steve am a firm believer in changing tensioner and idler at the same time as the cambelt.

Also my car is a 200 but Lexus told me my water pump was good when I had the cambelt changed but I replaced it anyway. Better safe than sorry!

As for the headlight water, what Ian says get the hair dryer out!

thanks Steve.

I think they thought i was Mr Finicky as i was panicking like anything.

They started on the car at midday and its just complete, now in the wash.

I have asked them to throw the old belt in the boot for my reference, if they haven't thrown the belt in their bigger bin that is.

I am collecting the car tomorrow morning, but will take a pic of belt and post for reference.

Rgds,

S

This has come up in another thread. Don't need to change tensioner and idler as the 300 engine is more robust!

I, like Steve am a firm believer in changing tensioner and idler at the same time as the cambelt.

Also my car is a 200 but Lexus told me my water pump was good when I had the cambelt changed but I replaced it anyway. Better safe than sorry!

As for the headlight water, what Ian says get the hair dryer out!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links