Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No Abs (Engine Light & Vsc On)

Hello,

I had a seperate entry on Engine Light and VSC (P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1), but now that the garage say they have narrowed the cause down, I would hopefully like some more help from anyone !!!

I have been told that the main issue I have is that the sensor (or part !!!) which controls the ABS has gone, which means I am driving my car with just the mechanical brakes and no ABS assistance.

I have also been informed that this will be VERY expensive to fix, may save a few hundred pounds if I go down the second hand part route..

I am waiting for a proper detailed quote from the garage and I will then be able to share with you what the "garage" terminology is for all this !!

Has anyone any advice please ?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Which bank is bank 1, front of engine or rear? Also sensor 2 will be the sensor under the floorpan in the exhaust pipe, you may find as I did that the sensor was perfect but the nuts holding it on were corroded away completely and just the rust was holding the sensor in place, it caused a fault as it was leaking air past the gasket face.......it might be wortth checking that before you buy a new sensor.

Thanks very much for this very useful information. My car was at the Lexus dealer on Friday, but due to a software issue they had they could not determine if it is the rear Bank 1 sensor or the CAT sensor, so it's going back next Monday.

I will pass this info onto the mechanic...sorry, I mean Technician !!!

I do hope it is something simple, if it is a sensor, I'd prefer it not to be the CAT one !!!

Cheers

PS: So when I was told by a independant garage that my car currently does not have ABS due to this fault, is that true or just rubbish ?

Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold...usually means sensor 2 failure IF the emissions are still ok. If the VSC and ABS lamp is illuminated they will not be working so they are correct.

As I said though, make sure your "technician" checks for an air leak at the sensor mounting face first as that can cause the same fault but if the leak is cured the sensor will still be working fine.

Cheers for the valued feedback, I have made a few notes and I will see that the Technician and Service Dept sees it on Monday when I take the car back.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links