Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430 Transmission/engine Whine/hum - Help!

Any insight into this possible problem, would be gratefully received.

On the way back from Napier to Auckland, a drive of 272 miles, just before my destination on the motorway I noticed a hum coming from the back, well that's what it sounds like! It also sounds like the car wants to be in a higher gear for the speed, but its already in sixth (based on road speed and engine revs) and its varies with speed not engine revs.

The Lex drove to Napier a couple of days earlier, without a hitch, as expected (apart from a speeding ticket, I was doing 70mph [national speed limit is 62mph!]) And it started the journey to Auckland without a sound.

The first 80 miles (Napier to Taupo) is a wonderful windy road through mountains (amazing views) with good passing places, meaning I could really use the sport gearbox and stretch her legs. It was great to use the power and feel how nimble the car can be when pushing on.

Anyway, I digress....

Its going into the dealer tomorrow to see if they can find out the problem, but any advice or thoughts from the forum would definitely help get the issue sorted more quickly. The car is so quiet the noise is driving me to distraction!!

:eerrrmm:

yours worriedly, Nige

post-45250-0-95718400-1361738504.jpg

If it whines, is coming from the rear and varies in pitch dependent on speed it sounds differential related however I've never heard of a diff problem on an LS.

The only easy thing to check is the oil level and then drain it and see if there are metal fragments in there.

I know it was recently imported from the UK they don't by any chance drain all the fluids for shipping and then refill on it's arrival do they?

Another possible cause is a worn wheel bearing but again easy to diagnose, if this is the case have the caliper checked for seizing, I'm thinking as it happened on a long run if the brake was binding things would get pretty hot and possibly overheat the hub and bearing.

Is it 3 de-merit points in NZ plus a fine, the same as Oz for speeding?

If it whines, is coming from the rear and varies in pitch dependent on speed it sounds differential related however I've never heard of a diff problem on an LS.

The only easy thing to check is the oil level and then drain it and see if there are metal fragments in there.

I know it was recently imported from the UK they don't by any chance drain all the fluids for shipping and then refill on it's arrival do they?

Another possible cause is a worn wheel bearing but again easy to diagnose, if this is the case have the caliper checked for seizing, I'm thinking as it happened on a long run if the brake was binding things would get pretty hot and possibly overheat the hub and bearing.

Thanks Steve, that's really helpful, I'll pass it onto my guy at Lexus.

The speeding points system is out of 100, then you lose your licence.

10 points for 0-10km over

20 points for 11-20km over

35 points for 21-30km over

I was 113km in a 100km, so 20 points, trouble is, I got 35 points a week or so earlier in my Maserati, when not paying attention (103km in an 80km)

Lucky the speed cameras and disguised camera vans don't give points, just fines, otherwise I would have lost the licence ages ago!!

Thanks again

Nigel

I forgot, No they don't drain any fluids, they have to drive the cars in and out of the container.

Nige

Hi Nige

You may have a wheel bearing going. When you turn as you load up the bearings you will find they will whine and then stop as you steer the other way. I had one rear left one go (it takes the load on roundabouts etc). To check as you drive down the road steer to the right (just a little) and that will load the left rear - steer left for the right side. It will only take a little flick - mine started with a little buzz and steadily became louder - as you know the slightest noise is audible in our fantastic cars.

204 K miles no back end or gear box problems.

Good luck

Bren

Hi Nige

You may have a wheel bearing going. When you turn as you load up the bearings you will find they will whine and then stop as you steer the other way. I had one rear left one go (it takes the load on roundabouts etc). To check as you drive down the road steer to the right (just a little) and that will load the left rear - steer left for the right side. It will only take a little flick - mine started with a little buzz and steadily became louder - as you know the slightest noise is audible in our fantastic cars.

Good luck

Bren

Hi Bren,

A quick update.

Tried what you said about steering to the left and the right, and you were spot on!

Turning left the noise reduced significantly!

And turning to the right it came back!

It's in the dealer tomorrow, and I'll update you on their findings and the solution.

Thank you

Nige

Can you PM me so we can arrange for the 1st class tickets to be sent ( I have a couple of friends who would like to look at the problem and they think LSs are cool. I wont be able to help when it comes to getting hands dirty but I can dish out sympathy which is always important. Mike

Hi Nige

Good luck

Bren

Hi Bren,

A quick update.

Tried what you said about steering to the left and the right, and you were spot on!

It's in the dealer tomorrow, and I'll update you on their findings and the solution.

Thank you

Nige

Good news about the diagnosis Nige - it is not an expensive fix - I have only ever had the one go.

Cheers

Bren

Hi Nige

Good luck

Bren

Confirmed by the dealer!

It's the left rear bearing, but it is expensive!

Just shows the value of this forum, the responses gave me a great deal of comfort that it wasn't something terminal!

Btw, these Lexus LS spare parts aren't stocked in NZ as they aren't enough of them, so it's ordered from Japan, and takes two to three weeks to arrive.!!

Yours very gratefully

Nige

Hi Bren,

A quick update.

Thank you

Nige

Hi Nige

Good luck

Bren

Hi Bren,

A quick update.

Thank you

Nige

Good news about the diagnosis Nige - it is not an expensive fix - I have only ever had the one go.

Cheers

Bren

i"ll vote for the wheel bearing too. I have had two go - a front and a back. Mine were expensive to fix - particularly the rear one IIRC

Mike

Thanks Mike.

You're right, the dealer confirmed it and it will be replaced, and it is expensive!

Trouble is it'll take a while as the part needs to come from Japan!

Nige

When my g/fs mazda had a clutch problem the part arrived from Japan in 3 days to my mechanic in the UK

And Japan is comparatively " just around the corner " from NZ !

Malc

Good luck with it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links