Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Newbie Looking At Is200

Mork1973

Hi all. I'm new to this forum, been considering an IS200. Have seen one that says it's a TRD limited edition, is this true? It does have a body kit on it and TRD badges, but anyone can do that. Is there a way to tell if it is a genuine one?

Have also been looking at the Altezza. I know they have more power, but that's not necessarily what I'm looking for, but would consider one. Don't want to spend too much, but needs to be reliable as I do 400 miles a week.

Thanks for any help.

Hi and welcome.

Thats not a limited edition. Lexus sold the IS200 with a choice of styling packs, either TRD or TTE. All it is is completely cosmetic. Sportier bumpers and side skirts. Don't be fooled into paying more as its a "limited edition" as it is not. Mine has the TTE kit.

The Altezza does have more power but you lose a lot of the Lexus luxuries. For example no electric heated seats, no power folding mirrors, no premium 8 speaker sound system etc... Also the Toyota Altezza was never sold in this country so if you got one it would be an import.

Yeah, I know the Altezza is less equipped and an import. I'm happy to have all the extra luxuries to be honest, so a UK car is fine. Found this one that I really like, any idea if it's a good price?

Umm, silly question Chris, but aren't all Lexus' imports? The issue when insuring is that Lexus' are likely to be first registered in Britain, whereas the Altezza will have been registered elsewhere and then imported into the country.

The is200 is brilliant, I'm doing around 400 a week and getting 30mpg (nearly) faults on my 54plate have been minor and stupid. Cd Changer had to be replaced . . . Well, it didn't have to, but it wasn't working and the cambelt hadn't been done at the 60k or 120k. It had never been done. I bought mine at 122700 miles. I was Lucky.

When you get her, if you do have problems, all the guys on the site are helpful and most issues can be resolved easily.

Good, good. My dad is an ambasador at Cardiff ( a title given to fans who buy season tickets for the next season before the current one has finished ) and can't understand why I applaud all teams who play. I think Swansea are doing really well, but I sometimes fear that he's going to clout me for saying that one of these days.

I'm hoping to catch one of the BTCC weekends this year. My wife is pregnant and she said it'll be a nice treat as I'll be unable to go for the next 18 years . . . Little does she know, I'd take the little tyke with me when it's old enough. Lol

Do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to be competitive in the Mercedes?

Just make sure the cambelt was changed, around the 60k mile mark, otherwise you're gonna have to get it done if it hasn't been.

The price looks good, it looks clean and as the description says, the guy has spent some money on it, so you imagine he's looked after it.

If you dont mind travelling, this is a bargain, if i had spare money it would be mine, Had one before and strangely insurance was cheaper than the 200 i have now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-LEXUS-IS-300-SPORT-AUTO-SILVER-TAX-AND-MOT-LEXUS-IS200-3000-cc-FULL-SPEC-/181090983808?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a29dd1f80

If you dont mind travelling, this is a bargain, if i had spare money it would be mine, Had one before and strangely insurance was cheaper than the 200 i have now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-LEXUS-IS-300-SPORT-AUTO-SILVER-TAX-AND-MOT-LEXUS-IS200-3000-cc-FULL-SPEC-/181090983808?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a29dd1f80

Looks great that, like mine but with a 3.0 2JZ..... Wish I'd got a 300 :whistling:

He could e given the engine bay a bit of a clean :lol:

No around 20mpg average for me. Stuart manages around 30 but he must drive everywhere like a grandad lol :whistling:

And nope nothing wrong with mine, in perfect working order :) do a search on MPG on here and you'll see. Most members get 20-25 MPG from their IS200

I would argue that the 2.0 engine in a IS200 is the thirstiest 2.0 engine ever made! Due to it being a 6 cylinder I guess. The MPG is the same in an IS300 but you get a lot more power!

If you look at the bigger picture the IS200 MPG isnt that bad. Some cars are in the teens. If you compare it to other 2.0L cars yes its worse but thats because its 6 CYL and most 2.0L cars are not. If you compare it to a BMW 320 L6, Rover 75 2.0 V6 or Jaguar X type 2.1L V6 for example its the same. It also seems the OP is doing long runs if hes doing 400 miles a week and therefore should achieve 30MPG quite easily. I mainly do town driving in mine, best ive averaged is 23MPG out of my auto but i just had 2 weeks off work and did some trekking about and was amazed how much better she was on a long run. Its not doing alot less than my last 1.6 car anyway, and im in a luxary, smooth and quiet lexus so i dont mind spending the extra £10 or £20 quid a month in fuel

things to check with these cars:
Brake calipers - spin the wheels
Cambelt - have a peak at the belt to check its not been eaten

Shocks - normally need replacing around the 90 - 100k mark, if theyve been done its a bonus

Service - ppl tend to get into bad habits of not servicing cars like this, but its important its done at least every 10k

Theres not much else really, just the obvious stuff, these are good cars and hard to fault

I think the sport versions are programmed to have a quicker throttle response, so they do use more fuel and thus lower the mpg. I work really hard to get my mpg to 30. Being as light on the accelerator as possible, accelerating slowly from a standing start. With the power thats available, it's quite easy to see why most people have low mpg. You put your foot down and it's great.

Drive it sensibly and you should be okay for 28-30 mpg. I'm putting Hankook Ventus Prime 2 K115s on at the start of April. They're fuel efficient tyres, apparently able to help save 5 litres of fuel every 500 miles, this should bring the mpg up to around 32-33 on a full tank. I can do over 400 miles between fill ups and I'm finding fuel left in the tank, though people have said to watch out for fuel pickup issues if I go too far.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links