Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Very Low Mpg - 12

damtrx

Well i bought mine not because of the fuel consumption.I know that MPG (l/km) will be high but my is far more compared to others.That is why start the threan No matter how drive i get very high consumption.20l/100 is normal Subaro impresa STI 240hp turbo car.Well is200 is not even turbo.

Edit.I am sorry but MPG to l/km conversation is hard for me.High l/km is low MPG

I only do my mpg calculations once the tank is empty and I refill. I think I am one of a few who fills the tank to the brim, but then I'm still getting over 400 miles to the tank. I do a lot of round town driving. I've got a 30 minute drive to work in which I'm probably doing 65mph for about 10 minutes, the rest of the time is town driving, 30mph and rarely into 6th. I try to drive carefully and get into 5th as soon as I can without the car feeling strained. I do drive like a grandad all the time to achieve my mpg and I know a lot of people say ' the car deserves to be driven ' and yes, but I'll drive it like this knowing I have the power if I wish to use it.

When I drove to Burnley and back, a 450 mile round trip, I did not stop to put any more petrol in and I averaged 32.9 mpg.

On Tuesday I put new tyres on which, according to blackcircles.com, claim I could savd upto 6 litres of fuel over a 600 mile journey. This would be a further increase in mpg of 2.2 on what I am currently getting, but I will keep you informed.

Check your tyre pressures/balancing/tracking/tyre wear. There may be nothing mechanically wrong with the car, but these can have an effect on mpg. But ultimately, boring calm driving, slow accelerating will help improve mpg.

Sorry for the boring reply. I like boring.

• Like 1

Good luck Martin I hope you sort the problem. I love driving my Lexus and to be honest I don't measure mpg, when it gets a bit low I just fill it up with vpower. I check the tyres every month but then I drive less that 5000 a year anyway and most are short journeys. I just love the car and despite it being 8 1/2 years old it still gets looks and I like the red colour with smoked multispoke wheel combination, lowered on Eibachs. It's just a shame there are no cheap ways to increase power.

I know that the brakes can be a problem on these, you'd see reduced mpg if they were binding a little.

If cleaning your throttle body doesn't help, I'd have a serious look at what sjrainsford suggested above - binding brake calipers. These are known issues on the IS200 and can definitely have an adverse effect on fuel economy.

• 1 month later...

Well today I cleaned the throttle body. (sorry for the delay but had to do tons of work these months )

There is no change in the MPG .

I did the procedure because my car was a bit sluggish and the acceleration was not good . The car seems to be a little slow and when I climb some hill it's not accelerating like before. - Actually it's not accelerating and keep the speed only. Like my old 25 year Opel with 1.3l engine :) Before and after the procedure it's the same slow car.

Cleaning did not resolve any problems.

There are still no error codes from the ECU .

Is there any chance that the Vacuum sensor is the problem ? I'm stuck on that problem for a very long time.

I know that the brakes can be a problem on these, you'd see reduced mpg if they were binding a little.

If cleaning your throttle body doesn't help, I'd have a serious look at what sjrainsford suggested above - binding brake calipers. These are known issues on the IS200 and can definitely have an adverse effect on fuel economy.

have you checked the brakes?

have you checked the brakes?

Well , they are seems to be fine . I did change the tires last week and nobody told me for that problem. I can push the car easy so I think that is not the brakes.

Hi. When did the car last have a service? I'm sure you don't want to have to pay for someone to look over the car, but it may a fault that needs someone else to find?

(sometimes you really don't want it to be a certain problem, so you don't look for it?)

Maybe you need to get it looked at as Stuart says.... 11mpg all the time can't be right.

One thing I've noticed recently, last month I was working 40 miles from home so doing 80 miles per day and I would say 90% of that was motorway. During this period I achieved over 400 miles from a full tank (something I've never been able to do before)

These last 2 weeks I am working 9 miles from home so 18 miles per day driving through the City for 6 miles then a 'B' road for 3 miles so never getting higher than 40 mph and not really getting out of 4th gear. I've just filled up and I only got 238 miles from the last tank. So you can see, town driving as opposed to motorway driving has a massive affect on mpg.

Yesterday I've got my OBD II back and did some diagnostics .

TPS Sensor shows 12,9 % and it should be around 15% with a deviation of 0.8 % .

MAP Sensor shows 32kPa but I think that should be much higher based on my location.

I did the tests on is200 automatic and TPS sensor shows 14,9 and MAP sensor is around 41kPa .

As soon as I get my tools back , I will try to fix TPS sensor and clean/change MAP . I think that MAP sensor can't calculate atmospheric pressure right and "tells" the car to pump more fuel.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links