Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Windscreen Needed Can I Upgrade?

Guest bigbullhead

I am having a new windscreen fitted due to a stone chip and they turned up today with one that has the auto wipers which I have not got but it got me thinking could I upgrade to this if the wires were all there could some let me know as if so I will get them tomorrow

Sorry matey.....no idea. If I were to offer a guess I'd think not. However, make sure you get the acoustic glass windscreen, and the heating elements for the parked area.

Interestingly, and bearing no relation to your question, drove my sons 220d at the weekend and its going like the clappers. Really impressed, and showing 45 mpg!! Still got the slightly notchy first to second and rubbish 6th gear. All that aside going great...really very pleased for him.

Guest bigbullhead

What are the acoustic windscreen and do you mean the bottom heated element for the wipers??

Also I have been getting good mpg too average 43-44 I think if you treat your engine nicely and spend that little bit more on small additives etc it helps in the long run and yes gearbox could be better may get the oil changed in box at some point

Think it was called acoustic glass, said to reduce engine noise in the cabin. Pilkington glass screen has a ear motif on it.

Yes I mean the bottom heated element.

Also make sure they are aware there may be packers fitted by Lexus as anti rattle dash cures. Make sure they don't just remove them not knowing what they are there for.

Acoustic screens have slightly thicker laminate between the sheets of glass to reduce noise. Wiper heaters are standard across all IS 2nd Gen models IIRC. And no you can't upgrade to auto wipers - you don't have the sensor, loom, associated relays/fuses or switch.

Acoustic screens have slightly thicker laminate between the sheets of glass to reduce noise. Wiper heaters are standard across all IS 2nd Gen models IIRC. And no you can't upgrade to auto wipers - you don't have the sensor, loom, associated relays/fuses or switch.

Re. Wiper heaters are standard across all IS 2nd Gen models IIRC."

How do they work/what do they do on my MY2011 IS250 F-Sport?

Where is the "on" switch?

Argento

Argento

The switch is on the right side panel just below steering wheel. From memory it's the first switch nearest the steering wheel. If you look at my avatar picture you can see the bank of three switches to which I refer.

When switched on it heats a small lower portion of your windscreen that the wipers sit over. Good on frosty mornings.

Carl

Argento

They were removed from MY2011 onwards so your F Sport will not have them

• Like 1

Argento

Lexus must have been cutting weight on the F-Sport-lol

Argento

Lexus must have been cutting weight on the F-Sport-lol

Well I don't have it on our 2011 SE-L either!!

It's possible the heated screen is present, just that it's turned on with the heated rear screen button, as it is in the 1st Gen IS. The latest reg IS I've fitted a screen to is a 58 I think, so I could be wrong, but I've never seen a 2nd gen IS without a heated front screen

"It's possible the heated screen is present, just that it's turned on with the heated rear screen button, as it is in the 1st Gen IS. The latest reg IS I've fitted a screen to is a 58 I think, so I could be wrong, but I've never seen a 2nd gen IS without a heated front screen."

That's great news.

Fingers crosswed.

I'll check it out ASAP

I keep the car in the garage.

I might even leave it outside tonight so as to test tomorrow morning.

It's 'bloomin cold here - less than 1C every night.

I'm sure I've not got the switch to the right under the steering wheel.

Argento

"The switch is on the right side panel just below steering wheel. From memory it's the first switch nearest the steering wheel. If you look at my avatar picture you can see the bank of three switches to which I refer.

When switched on it heats a small lower portion of your windscreen that the wipers sit over. Good on frosty mornings."

Carl, thanks for that.

"Good on frosty mornings."

I bet it is.

Great idea and useful to have.

From memory, I think my switch position is blanked off.

The other two are boot and fuel filler cover.

However, Matt-c has given us a glimmer of hope.

That is, it might be wired into the rear screen heater switch.

Argento

"They were removed from MY2011 onwards so your F Sport will not have them"

F.A. thanks.

I've just remembered.

I think I have asked this question before!

Apologies.

Anyway, worth asking it again because of what Matt-C says.

There may be hope ... ..

Argento

"The switch is on the right side panel just below steering wheel. From memory it's the first switch nearest the steering wheel. If you look at my avatar picture you can see the bank of three switches to which I refer.

When switched on it heats a small lower portion of your windscreen that the wipers sit over. Good on frosty mornings."

Carl, thanks for that.

"Good on frosty mornings."

I bet it is.

Great idea and useful to have.

From memory, I think my switch position is blanked off.

The other two are boot and fuel filler cover.

However, Matt-c has given us a glimmer of hope.

That is, it might be wired into the rear screen heater switch.

Argento

Well on mine the switch is above the fuel filler and boot release switches bank. There are three, innermost one is for the heated wipers, next is for headlight wash and the outermost one is for the rear sunblind. I have to admit I hadn't a clue what it was initially as the pictograph on it isn't very intuitive.

The 2nd gen IS front windscreen heater element doesn't work on the rear screen switch. It always has a dedicated switch as described above. I have both a 2007 and 2011 SEL the 2007 has a couple of heater filaments on the bottom of the front screen and a dedicated switch. The 2011 model has neither. A blanking plate replaces the switch which I have since replaced with an OEM coin holder as I hate blank switch plates. I know for a fact that it was removed from 2011MY cars onwards.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links