Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where To Buy Toyota Coolant That Doesn't Involve Re-Mortgaging.

Well I know others will shoot me down for saying this but I had the same issue.

I flushed my system but then was amazed by the price so I went to Halfords and bought their ready mixed pink coolant for £25 for 10 litres. (same colour as the Toyota so you can detect leaks)

When I had my big service at Lexus I asked them to flush the system again and fill it with the proper Toyota stuff as I had done a DIY and used Halfords coolant. The Lexus tech and service manager both said there's absolutely no point as the Halfords stuff was just as good as theirs!

I had a Mazda before the LS400 and it went for ages on Halford's pink coolant with not a sign of discolouration or corrosion. But, I've read in the forums that it contains silicates that may be harmful to an LS400 engine.

And Tesco coolant? I'm shocked! (but I'm going to look it up anyway). Thanks for your replies.

I had a Mazda before the LS400 and it went for ages on Halford's pink coolant with not a sign of discolouration or corrosion. But, I've read in the forums that it contains silicates that may be harmful to an LS400 engine.

And Tesco coolant? I'm shocked! (but I'm going to look it up anyway). Thanks for your replies.

Hopefully there is no horse in there? Mike

Hopefully there is no horse in there? Mike

Neigh, there's not a trace .

• Like 1

There are fundamental reasons why you should stick to the reccomended coolant,as someone as already posted there are ingredients in the cheaper alternatives that could have a negative affect on the engine casting and the inter-transmission cooling ,there have been cases were corrosion as cost a gearbox when the pipe from the gearbox carrying the transmission fluid through the radiator as corroded and allowed coolant into the gearbox.If you own a Lexus and respect it, use the reccomended fluids, after all if you are buying a Rolls Royce you are not expected to ask ,how much does it cost to run?

Lol @ comparing an old Lexus with a Rolls Royce. Not really the same is it. He didn't buy a Roller so didn't expect Rolls Royce running costs!

If a Lexus dealer and Lexus Technician say the pink Halfords stuff is as good as theirs then that's good enough for me. Over a year with the Halfords stuff in my car, 12,000 miles clocked, no problems and I haven't lost a drop :)

Chris

Its probably because your on the wrong forum and have a a wee is200 that you don't know the Lexus Ls400 is reffered to in the world as the Japanese Rolls Royce.

And just because it worked for you and some techy says its all right to use a non reccomended product does not make it Pukka.

The Landcruiser to prone to mixing of the coolant and gearbox fluids resulting in a dead box but this is usually down to never changing the coolant rather than anything else.

But personally I would use the coolant from a main dealer rather than Halfords but I would say the Halfords stuff is better than not changing it at all.

Martin , you can buy genuine Toyota concentrated red coolant from fleabay, £26 for 5litre's added to 5litre's of suitable water you should be able to do the job for about £30 .

I have done two of mine with fluid from these people and it is free postage .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360617438111?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Chris

Its probably because your on the wrong forum and have a a wee is200 that you don't know the Lexus Ls400 is reffered to in the world as the Japanese Rolls Royce.

And just because it worked for you and some techy says its all right to use a non reccomended product does not make it Pukka.

Apologies for commenting on your LS400 forum, nice to know we're all welcome. Won't make the same mistake again. I wasn't trying to offend you or belittle your comment. Was just having a laugh over the Rolls Royce comment, was meant to be light hearted, sorry. I'll take myself and my "wee" IS back to the IS forum and leave you to your obviously more superior Japanese Rollers that require £80 coolant.

I was just relaying information I'd been given from a Lexus dealer that's all and trying to save the OP a few quid.

Chris

Apologies for commenting on your LS400 forum, nice to know we're all welcome. Won't make the same mistake again. I wasn't trying to offend you or belittle your comment. Was just having a laugh over the Rolls Royce comment, was meant to be light hearted, sorry. I'll take myself and my "wee" IS back to the IS forum and leave you to your obviously more superior Japanese Rollers that require £80 coolant.

I was just relaying information I'd been given from a Lexus dealer that's all and trying to save the OP a few quid.

Everyone welcome here. Dont vanish forever. Mike

Chris

Yeah don't go I would probably have an IS if I wasn't a fat old man.

Chris

Yeah don't go I would probably have an IS if I wasn't a fat old man.

Family sized if you dont mind. Mike

Just got the concentrated 5 litre coolant off Ebay £26 came from Toyota Sheffield . Thought better stick to the original. Got Tesco wiper blades though ( as a stop gap but are fine).

I rang my local Toyota dealer regarding coolant and the parts guy said the red stuff goes into your engine as is, like the pink stuff. So I don't know where Toyota concentrated coolant fits into all this...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links