Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Is This Pin That Fell Out Of My Rear Drum? And Ive Got A Noise...

petayV8

I will be taking off my rear disc this week sometime to closer inspect a problem with my rear drum/disc, the problem being a screeching noise coming from the rear wheel assuming for a while now it was the dust guard im now wondering otherwise, but for the time being can anyone give me a heads up of what this part is from? It was loose at the rear of the drum and i pulled and it just fell out

2013-05-19_20-22-20_15_zps1cea322f.jpg

It's a brake shoe retaining pin, passes through the rear of the backplate then though the corresponding hole in the brake shoe and then should be retained with a spring and cup washer which you fit over the end of the protruding pin and twist 90 degrees.

You should see the other one on the other brake shoe.

The part you have can be seen on the top left of the diagram below and the retaining spring etc on the right of the diagram (follow the dotted lines)

If this part is not fitted correctly it will allow the brake shoes to come away from the backplate and possibly cause the noise you have by rubbing on the inside of the drum or the other parts having become stuck in the drum.

post-12144-0-57930500-1368993145_thumb.p

thanks soo much for that info, very useful. Ill try and put it back to how it should be, if i get stuck ill look at other side!

The diagram provided is also useful if i need a part to be ordered, so thanks again

Sometimes the back plate corrodes and the key hole it fits into won't hold it any more. Happened on my old mk1 GS, I ended up using one off a different car that had a large keyway on it.

Sometimes the back plate corrodes and the key hole it fits into won't hold it any more. Happened on my old mk1 GS, I ended up using one off a different car that had a large keyway on it.

Using a different pin i take it? i have read the back plate cannot be replaced...

Using a different pin i take it? i have read the back plate cannot be replaced...
Yeah, can't remember what car it was from now but I think I just went to Halfords with mine, and compared it to the ones they had and picked the one I could adapt. Or it might have even been the little key hole washers at Halfords, and I put it behind the rusty backplate to hold the factory pin in. My memory is not so good these days ... lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well i bit of a update. Finally got around to taking disc off and the retaining pin on the right side had indeed collapsed inside the drum wedging the spring between the handbrake/shoe adjuster and the drum causing my horrible screeching noise. So wasnt the back plate after all

Unlike above it wasnt the keyhole that corroded releasing the pin it was the metal plate inside that gives the spring tension causing it to just collapse. However the spring that was present didnt look the same as other side, much bigger and stronger and am wondering if its been replaced with a too powerful spring at some point as i also havent seen this to be a common problem on the forum. As far as i can see all the retaining spring does is hold the shoes tight so they dont rattle about however still going to get it sorted asap, just called Lexus Wolverhapton and ordered Pin, Spring and 2 washers, came to a hefty £9 lol

Thanks for help guys

If this aspect is not fixed properly it will allow the braking mechanism foot wear to come away from the back plate and probably cause the disturbance you have by massaging on within of the drum or the other areas having become trapped in the drum.

For more details contact us: info@sydneyelitelimo.com.au 28 Sunny Crescent, Punchbowl NSW 2196 Phone #: 61-414974062 airport limo sydney | sydney airport limo | sydney limo

If this aspect is not fixed properly it will allow the braking mechanism foot wear to come away from the back plate and probably cause the disturbance you have by massaging on within of the drum or the other areas having become trapped in the drum.

Correct. I meant to take a picture of the disturbance but forgot lol. Lexus should have the bits delivered today so will sort it this weekend.

Probably somebody lost the original bits when working on the brakes, and reached in to their rusty parts bin for something close enough to do the job.

Not that I've ever done such a thing.....obviously.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links