Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wing Mirror Glass For A 1998 Ls400

I've searched through quite a few posts here about replacing the wing mirror glass only in my LS400. There is some silvering on my driver's side mirror. Am I right in thinking that the mirror is auto dimming and heated?

If so, a cheap bit of glass won't be the right route for me. I have contacted the Wing Mirror Man to see if he stocks the right part. Is there anywhere else you can recommend. I could get a whole unit from a breakers yard providing that the glass is in good condition?

Can you recommend a particular seller? I'm presuming it is heated only and not auto-dimming. From what I've read, that was only available from the 430 onwards?

Hi,

can anyone tell me if the wing mirrors on my MK3 are heated and photochromatic? I don't know if it is just my eye but they appear to dim slightly when someone is following behind....Lexus have quoted something in the region of £130 for the wing mirror glass!

Sorry Bluesman I snaffled those,made it a first shopping list item when I got my Mark4 last year.

Complete mirror is £1200 so £45 apiece is a cheap insurance policy.

The removal of the mirror from the enclosure is a speciel technique and must be used or the glass or backing frame will be broken.

insert a cloth round the edge of the mirror from the bottom up, make sure the cloth goes behind the glass all the way round, grip the cloth tightly together at the top and pull upwards and backwards at the same time.this releases the catches on the backing frame .

• Like 1

Sorry Bluesman I snaffled those,made it a first shopping list item when I got my Mark4 last year.

The removal of the mirror from the enclosure is a speciel technique and must be used or the glass or backing frame will be broken.

insert a cloth round the edge of the mirror from the bottom up, make sure the cloth goes behind the glass all the way round, grip the cloth tightly together at the top and pull upwards and backwards at the same time.this releases the catches on the backing frame .

Blimey is nothing easy these days? Mike

Thanks for all the useful info.

I too have the heating element showing through the silvering on my passenger side door mirror (1998 LS400) - an obvious MOT fail in a months time.

New replacement mirror (glass only) from local dealer is prohibitive and needs to be on 'special order'.

The e-bay mirrors seem to be a glass overlay type held in place with double sided self adhesive pads.

Can anyone advise is this satisfactory please?

Donalex

Hey Mike, does that mean a dodgy glass on your door mirror, means it's an MOT fail?

I believe that you dont need a nearside mirror installed nut if you do then it has to be OK ie not broke in any way visualy. Mike

Mmm...mine is sloppy, ie- if it wasn't taped-up, it'd fall off (or out) - still trying to find a replacement, keep getting pipped at the post on eBay,when one comes up,-time to get the super-glue out, I think....

Mmm...mine is sloppy, ie- if it wasn't taped-up, it'd fall off (or out) - still trying to find a replacement, keep getting pipped at the post on EBay,when one comes up,-time to get the super-glue out, I think....

Will keep my eyes open for you. Mike

Under the new mot revision 2012/ advisory any vehicle with nearside offside/ mirror fitted as to be adequate.Onwards to;

2013 the directive states any vehicle that as three mirrors fitted at birth, these have to be working to vehicle specification.

So if they don't do what the handbook says they are supposed to do, you have an MOT fail.

The Brussels directives are another way of making older cars deliberatley uneconomic to keep on the road, therefore creating work for the East/West european car plants.,

Brilliant, another EEC Directive, that no doubt, our Bureaucratic Institutions here in the UK will slavishly follow-and rigorously implement without question,-I'm writing this standing to attention,saluting, while the 'Marseilles' is playing........

Brilliant, another EEC Directive, that no doubt, our Bureaucratic Institutions here in the UK will slavishly follow-and rigorously implement without question,-I'm writing this standing to attention,saluting, while the 'Marseilles' is playing........

Je suis heureux de l'entendre. Mike

• Like 1

Under the new mot revision 2012/ advisory any vehicle with nearside offside/ mirror fitted as to be adequate.Onwards to;

2013 the directive states any vehicle that as three mirrors fitted at birth, these have to be working to vehicle specification.

So if they don't do what the handbook says they are supposed to do, you have an MOT fail.

The Brussels directives are another way of making older cars deliberatley uneconomic to keep on the road, therefore creating work for the East/West european car plants.,

Seeing as how my other car is a motorbike, as it were, I'd be very happy if they would MOT fail any car with defective mirrors! It's dangerous enough as it is without people driving around unable to see that you're about to overtake...

If a new mirror costs £1200 from Lexus, that presumably means that if one of mine gets knocked off in a minor scrape, the car will be written off even if there's no other damage? :(

Had a price from Lexus Lincoln for new mirror glass - £380 incl VAT :yahoo: , look on my face....priceless

Some things are worth stumping up for, door mirror glass for £380 is not one of them imo.

That said, mine came with a stick on repair on the nearside, which was a constant irritant, due to poor visibility and fit, but I bought a complete s/h unit, with damaged housing, off eBay and just fitted the glass.

Like I've mentioned on this Forum some time ago, I need a complete near/side mirror shell assembly: Quote from local MK Lexus: £590.00, that's why its still held together by insulation tape, though I haven't a clue what will happen when MOT time swings round come November, when they will fail it on that probably.........think I will get the super-glue out...

Like I've mentioned on this Forum some time ago, I need a complete near/side mirror shell assembly: Quote from local MK Lexus: £590.00, that's why its still held together by insulation tape, though I haven't a clue what will happen when MOT time swings round come November, when they will fail it on that probably.........think I will get the super-glue out...

Just do a temp fix with a mirror that can be stuck on until a breaker one comes along. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links