Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tax - Am I Reading This Wrong?

Apparenty, the IS200 is tax code L, and has a CO2 rating of 231 g/km, and the IS300 is tax code M, with a CO2 rating of 256 g/km

Which would mean, according to this tax code page on this Gov page, tax from April 1st 2013 is £475 and £490 respectively, for 12 months.

mjmiqc.png

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Now I taxed mine in May, and it was £280 for 12 months?

So whats that all about? Am I reading it wrong or something?

Apparenty, the IS200 is tax code L, and has a CO2 rating of 231 g/km, and the IS300 is tax code M, with a CO2 rating of 256 g/km

Which would mean, according to this tax code page on this Gov page, tax from April 1st 2013 is £475 and £490 respectively, for 12 months.

mjmiqc.png

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Now I taxed mine in May, and it was £280 for 12 months?

So whats that all about? Am I reading it wrong or something?

£280 - K. Note the asterix with the K, below the table it says

"*Includes cars with a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006."

So although ours may be L or M, in reality as they are pre-06 they will be category K.

... I think. Either way mine came through for this month and I paid £280. I know there was a rule change for cars registered after a certain date that was only a few (read as 5 years now... getting old clearly!) ago.

Wow... You guys really pay a lot of money per annum to own a car! We pay a once off tax when buying a (brand new) car and that law has only been introduced about 2/3 years ago.

Wow... You guys really pay a lot of money per annum to own a car! We pay a once off tax when buying a (brand new) car and that law has only been introduced about 2/3 years ago.

Indeed, and if it was not for that I would be sat here in France with a ISF parked outside!!!

Geez .... Do you guys pay an additional annual license renewal fee as well? We pay an annual license renewal, but it ranges from about R300 to R500, depending on the weight of your vehicle. It's not an awful lot of money considering what you guys pay!

Sorry for the thread-jacking , Matt.

But that's for cars registered after march 2001 so I expect that's correct. But if you get an IS300 registered before march 01 as my best mate has then its £280 same as mine and your IS200

If your mate is in UK with UK car he's mistaken as to when it was registered :)

Well he said he got it cos it was the same on tax as his 200 he had which was an X reg. I've just looked at a pic of his 300. It's on a 51 plate so that's after march 01....anyhooooo I was sure his tax was the same as mine, might be wrong then.

Geez .... Do you guys pay an additional annual license renewal fee as well? We pay an annual license renewal, but it ranges from about R300 to R500, depending on the weight of your vehicle. It's not an awful lot of money considering what you guys pay!

I guessing you're located in South Africa?

I'm quite happy with a petrol guzzling 4.0 litre V8 at £225.00 a year.

• Like 1

Well he said he got it cos it was the same on tax as his 200 he had which was an X reg. I've just looked at a pic of his 300. It's on a 51 plate so that's after march 01....anyhooooo I was sure his tax was the same as mine, might be wrong then.

at the time he got his IS300 it will have been close to the same amount of tax, but his X reg 200 would be the same as the above ls400 per year now

Talking of the tax bands for new vehicles. Its madness. Manufactures are now forced to use smaller and in some cases under-powered engines just so they can sell there cars forcing the consumer to be in the type of car the government wants you to drive. The gas guzzler tax in america is a much better system and tax's ACTUAL polluting cars with 5, 6, 7 litre engines. not a 2.0L small family car ffs. Take the new IS350 for example, its such a fantastic car and isnt much less fuel efficient than the IS250 and makes financial sense to buy one in a normal world if your looking at a IS250, but the british government forces it upon us that we cant access cars like that because whos gonna pay £620 a year for tax for a entry level sports sedan. Instead lexus let us have a a f sport package on a 300h so we can pretend its fast. thanks lexus

anyway very nice of them to give us some slack for cars older than 2006 at least, and even better still a flat rate for cars like mine older than 2001, maybe not so good for ppl with smaller engined cars though

Yup, I'm in South Africa. We save on annual tax but pay a small fortune for cars here!

Talking of the tax bands for new vehicles. Its madness. Manufactures are now forced to use smaller and in some cases under-powered engines just so they can sell there cars forcing the consumer to be in the type of car the government wants you to drive. The gas guzzler tax in america is a much better system and tax's ACTUAL polluting cars with 5, 6, 7 litre engines. not a 2.0L small family car ffs. Take the new IS350 for example, its such a fantastic car and isnt much less fuel efficient than the IS250 and makes financial sense to buy one in a normal world if your looking at a IS250, but the british government forces it upon us that we cant access cars like that because whos gonna pay £620 a year for tax for a entry level sports sedan. Instead lexus let us have a a f sport package on a 300h so we can pretend its fast. thanks lexus

anyway very nice of them to give us some slack for cars older than 2006 at least, and even better still a flat rate for cars like mine older than 2001, maybe not so good for ppl with smaller engined cars though

haha in ireland i have to pay 720euro per year on an is200 so you don't have it all that bad :)

haha in ireland i have to pay 720euro per year on an is200 so you don't have it all that bad :)

omg that sucks! what on earth is that all about. wondered why they were cheaper there when i was buying one lol

omg that sucks! what on earth is that all about. wondered why they were cheaper there when i was buying one lol

ya the only upside is that they are very cheap to buy over here now. my dad has a 2.2 litre merc and his tax is well over 800euro and a friend of mine has a 325i beamer his tax is well over a thousand. it ridiculous dont know why its so high here!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links