Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hopefully simple question with simple answer :.)

Do all GS300s have the indicator stalk on the right hand side of steering wheel?

What about ls400s? (realise this is in wrong forum)

If not, when did they change?

UK spec only.

Thanks

All the same way round as far as I know and never changed, not on mk1's and 2's anyway. Even the left hand drive models have them on the same sides of the steering wheel. Ls's are in the same position I believe.

do you mean left?

Toyota were one of the last manufacturers to correctly put the indicators on the right but eventually switched to the left to conform with everybody else - I think that was late 80s / early 90s probably before all Lexus vehicles? Sadly a case of all European/American manufacturers being too tight to make different parts for LHD and RHD vehicles so we ended up just having to make do with LHD controls and RHD vehicles.

I've been in some shocking VW/Audi/Merc vehicles in the past where windscreen wipers operate in the wrong direction or the centre console is angled towards the passenger etc.

do you mean left?

Nope.

Went to test drive a 'n' reg '95 GS300 (NOT an import), and the indicator stalk was on the right.

Since this was actually the first I've driven - as opposed to being driven (due to insurance), it's the first time I've noticed which side the indicator stalk was on - hence the question.

I used to have a '92 K reg Shogun where the stalk was on the right, and it was a PITA swapping between that and the other car I had at the time.

Since this will be for my wife to learn in, and since it seems that most gs300s have the stalk on the LHS (from what you said), will it be a simple job to swap over?

I'm assuming all the switch stalks will need changing, but will I need to change the steering wheel as well?

Might just be easier to find a different, perhaps slightly newer car - but I do like the mk1

I hear you loud and clear, Gregg. I really really hate RHD cars with the indicator stalk on the left side of the steering wheel. I grew up in Malaysia and Australia (both RHD markets), where every Japanese and Korean car have the indicator stalk on the right side of the steering, where it should be.

Call me fussy, but this tiny detail is also another reason (albeit a minor one) as to why I continue to own and support Japanese cars. The Japanese OEMs aren't "tight" like their Europeans counterparts (to quote Colin), and continue to have the indicator stalks in the correct side in all RHD markets, EXCEPT the UK. Why? From what I understand, we are supposedly more adept to the orientation that the European OEMs have dictated to us.

I also loathe other details that highlight the tightness of several European OEMs. Peugeot, for example, re-use the same side mirrors from the LHD models in the RHD ones, in models as recent as the 308. As a result, I always ended up having half of the mirror reflecting the sides of my car, because I couldn't extend the angle any further. On the VW Golf, the volume knob is further away from the driver (it would be conveniently close for LHD cars). On the other hand, Toyota produces two separate headunits for the IS300, with the volume and radio tuning knobs placed approriately depending on LHD/RHD versions.

There are currently four RHD japanese cars in my household, and all of them have the indicator stalks on the right side of the steering. The Laurel and Sunny have had them in the correct orientation from factory (back when all Japanese manufacturers did anyway), whilst in the X-Trail and IS200, I have swapped them with bits from the same models sold in Australia.

So to answer the OP, I think your best bet is to swap your indicator and wiper stalks with the corresponding bits from a Toyota Aristo of the same year. :)

And sorry for the rant everyone. :ph34r:

I hear you loud and clear, Gregg. I really really hate RHD cars with the indicator stalk on the left side of the steering wheel. I grew up in Malaysia and Australia (both RHD markets), where every Japanese and Korean car have the indicator stalk on the right side of the steering, where it should be.

<SNIP>

And sorry for the rant everyone. :ph34r:

I actually *want* to put the indicator stalk on the left... :whistling:

Cos that's where it is on the car MrsEgg will be taking lessons in, and I don't want to confuddle her. :innocent:

I guess I got confused with your earlier post, I thought you *wanted* it to be on the right side, as per your Mitsubishi Shogun. Sorry about that.

In that case, you could probably try fitting the ones from LHD models.

I guess I got confused with your earlier post, I thought you *wanted* it to be on the right side, as per your Mitsubishi Shogun. Sorry about that.

In that case, you could probably try fitting the ones from LHD models.

lol.

no worries.

easy swap?

If it is anything like the IS200, then yes it should be a direct and easy swap. Just to give you an idea, this is what the indicator and wiper stalk assembly looks like for the IS200:

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg

The indicator and wiper stalk modules are just held by two screws onto the mounting frame, as shown below:

Side.jpg

I simply detached the indicator and wiper stalk modules and swapped them with the ones on the car. I used the existing mounting frame on my car, which means that I did't have to remove the steering wheel, and thus made the conversion a lot more straight-forward.

Best of luck :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links