Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi guys, i was wondering if any of you have come across the problem i seem to be having?. I purchased mi is220d 59 plate in march of this year and until a month ago had no problems with it, then having got home from a trip to lincoln as i was reversing onto the drive i lost all revs and the engine management light came on the dash. I managed to get on the drive and stopped and started the car but the management light would not go off. I got the aa out and after checking his laptop connected to the car said the fault was a sensor on the egr and the car was taken to the Toyota dealer where i purchased the car.T following day i got the car back and until last week was ok, then in the middle of Sheffield at some traffic lights the revs just died and i managed to limp to a side street where i stopped and started the car a few times and the revs picked up and i managed to drive to my destination (NO LIGHTS CAME ON THE DASH)when the fault occured. Then this Thursday coming off the motorway the car started to stutter until i gave it some pedal to keep the revs up. This was fine until i came to the first set of traffic lights when the car just died. After what seemed ages i managed to restart the car and limped along a few yards then the car picked up and has been fine since, again no warning lights came on on the dashboard. I have booked the car in for checks on monday under warranty but i was wondering if anyone had any clues as to the problem.

Sorry for rambling on,

Wilko1

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. I took the car in yesterday and have just been told it wants a new egr valve. Hopefully getting it back tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Wilko1

Hi guys, i was wondering if any of you have come across the problem i seem to be having?. I purchased mi is220d 59 plate in march of this year and until a month ago had no problems with it, then having got home from a trip to lincoln as i was reversing onto the drive i lost all revs and the engine management light came on the dash. I managed to get on the drive and stopped and started the car but the management light would not go off. I got the aa out and after checking his laptop connected to the car said the fault was a sensor on the egr and the car was taken to the Toyota dealer where i purchased the car.T following day i got the car back and until last week was ok, then in the middle of Sheffield at some traffic lights the revs just died and i managed to limp to a side street where i stopped and started the car a few times and the revs picked up and i managed to drive to my destination (NO LIGHTS CAME ON THE DASH)when the fault occured. Then this Thursday coming off the motorway the car started to stutter until i gave it some pedal to keep the revs up. This was fine until i came to the first set of traffic lights when the car just died. After what seemed ages i managed to restart the car and limped along a few yards then the car picked up and has been fine since, again no warning lights came on on the dashboard. I have booked the car in for checks on monday under warranty but i was wondering if anyone had any clues as to the problem.

Sorry for rambling on,

Wilko1

Think about using BG244 as an engine cleaner and then AR6200 as a fuel additive (5ml at each fill up).

Also, check previous posts about EGR. It is dead easy to clean yourself...it is highly unlikely it will really need replacing. Techs just cant be bothered to strip and clean it. It only takes 20 mins to clean it, its that easy. Clean/inspect it every 8-10,000 miles as a start point. Give the engine a good blow thru once a month if you dont do biggish journeys or get the engine hot enough from your travels.

• 2 months later...

Hi guy, sorry for not keeping you informed. Anyway i had a new egr valve fitted and they updated the software on the ecu. To cut a long story short the car was perfect until last thursday when the car started juddering on entering a roundabout!!, i managed to coax the car forwards and it gradually picked up speed. Again no lights on the dash. I phoned the dealership and was told to take it in on friday. On the way there at a set of lights the car just cut out. I restarted it and managed to get to the dealership with the car juddering on the way. They had the car for 90mins and took it for a run for twenty minutes as they couldn't find any diagnostic faults and sods law the car was perfect on the run. I was advised to monitor the situation and let them know if it happens again.About half a mile from home the juddering got so bad i had to stop, i tried to set off and with 2000revs the car wouldn't move forward. I restarted the car and it set off as if nothing was wrong, so i phoned the dealership again and have got to take it in on Wednesday so i hope they find something this time.

Sorry for the ramble,

Wilko1

Hi Wilko - this sounds EXACTLY the same as an issue I had with a Vauxhall I used to run.

Turns out it was the ERG valve / air mass meter that was at fault. Would not give any indication it was about to stop, would just do it and was quite frightening when you are travelling at 70 on the motorway and it happens. It was possible to, when it started to go, get it back by accelerating which would clear it temporary (pulling more air into the engine)

Can you check the valve yourself to - 1: see if it has actually been cleaned and 2: how well its been cleaned.

With the Vauxhall I had it also affected the plug closest to the running gear (belts etc) but this was only a 4 cylinder car - they did give a reason for this but I cant remember now what that was but I remember at the time thinking they were fobbing me off. It would be a good idea taking out the plugs to examine them but I have read this is a bi*"ch of a job to do - this would be a good indication of the state of the engine, fuel burning properly etc ...

Hi is200 newbie, thanks for the reply. As i have said i have had a brand new egr valve fitted in august and i have also used a can of bg244 treatment soi would have thought the valve should be fairly clean. I also travel 40 miles aday on the m1 so the engine gets nice and hot to burn off any deposits. As you say it can get very scary when the fault occurs as there is no warning when it happens.

Thanks again,

Wilko1

The additive (which I also use) should clean the fuel system / get rid of carbon deposits etc and its good at what it does (yours is a diesel, I believe the BG44 is for petrol systems - there is another type for the diesel models - Someone please confirm this for me as I have only had a petrol) ..... the EGR valve controls the flow of exhaust gasses through the valve so it has no direct contact with the fuel. If the valve is gummed up or sticking it will have an effect on the car in that it will act erratically as it cannot remove the exhaust gasses enough or quick enough to give a good ignition. But yours is new....

If your EGR valve is sticking / dirty or the diaphragm (I think there may be two in this valve) is faulty then it can run well for a bit then stop then go again etc.. Back pressure from the exhaust has a major part to play in the operation of the valve as it uses vacuum to operate the valve correctly.

If yours is new then I would question the compatibility of the valve fitted to the car. Is it the correct one they have fitted? Is the exhaust ok?

Something is telling your ECU that there's a problem - if it was fuel starvation (the reason for using the additive BG44) then, through personal experience of this, there's no indication on the dash or any faults thrown back. If its an air intake issue then its more likely to light up the dash like a Christmas tree with the fault code to back it up when read as its an emissions fault.

Also, running the car hot will not burn off deposits that are already formed - it may stop them from forming during use if your air flow/valve is working well to burn the fuel and emit the gasses, which again leads to EGR and air intake/crossover issues.

Steady on there chaps!

BG244 is for Diesel engines

BG44K is for petrol engines.

You might want to take the EGR valve assembly off yourself and check it over. It's quite easy. Check the movement of the piston inside and see that is seats properly. Take the end cap off and check for any corrosion. It's only 3 small Allen bolts to remove. Whilst the EGR is off check the cleanliness of the port/throat it attaches to. If necessary clean it out whilst sucking out the crud with an old vacuum cleaner.

Do you know what sort of journeys the previous owner was doing? A lot of problems have arisen from short journeys where the engine does not get hot enough to start the DPF regeneration. Added to which the EGR is sooting up too.

Hi Guys, this sounds interesting and I think everyone should clean the EGR valve every few thousand miles.

I want to check mine......is there a viedo or something or an instruction as to what and how I should do it?

I used the BG44K for my petrol engine a few weeks ago and its great!!

Thank you

Hi guys, just an update on the situation. Just had a call from the dealer, they have had the car all day and cannot find any fault. They have driven it for half an hour and it did not act up once, so they are letting their diagnostic technician take it home with him coupled up to his computer to see if the fault manifests. It must be strange hoping your car develops a fault!!.

Wilko1

Hi, got the car back today after three days, they couldn't find any fault, after driving it every day with their computer hooked up to it. They have done a 'regeneration' on the ecu and reset everything to factory settings and told me to monitor it again. Drove it home with no problems but not hopeful it will last.

Wilko1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links