Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ct Paint Quality

chippy 52

Hi,

I have had my CT for 2 months now, she is a dark metallic grey, can't remember off hand exact name of colour but every day I seem to find a new hairline scratch appearing somewhere on the body...... now as far as I know I don't park anywhere with brambles, vandals or any other obvious means of scratching. Is the top coating of paintwork so thinly applied ? I did have the car diamond coat treated when I first purchased her, but still there are numerous marks! Does anyone have experience of treatments/ polishes that cover up scratches? maybe the showroom where I purchased the car did a good job of disguising them?

regards

Derek

Hi if the paint is anything like my prius it is waterbased and is extreemly soft and will not like bird droppings which ate through the base colour in a matter of days without damaging the top coat where Toyota refused to repair the damage.I hope Lexus treat their customers better than Toyota .I would advise putting a good wax polish on the car as this will protect the paint to some extent have you tried a light T cut to improve the scratches.

Lexus paint is quite soft and its really easy to inflict damage yourself through washing (using a sponge for example rather than a plush wash mitt) or drying the car off (using a leather or blade, as opposed to a quality drying towel). It really depends on how much time you have got, I cover my car in snow foam, then jet wash off, then clean each panel in turn with soapy water using a lambs wool wash mitt, cleaning the wash mit out between panels dipping it in to a second bucket of clear water. I then jet wash off, then with water just running out of the hose without any attachment soak the car so most of the standing water sheets off. I than dry very carefully with a couple of plush microfibre drying towels. I will still expect to have a few marks even with this by the time the car is a year old.

Depending on how deep the marks are you might be able to disguise them by hand, rather than a machine polisher which I use, something quite good and easy to get hold of is Autoglyms Silicon Resin Polish. It is a effective 'filler polish' and will help hide them for awhile. if you can feel the scratch if you drag your fingernail accross, then its usuall well beyond fixing by hand. Unfortunately, if the Dimondbrite coating was not put on really carefully, this might have inflicted some of the damage you can see.

What I really recommend if you want to have some ideas on what you can do, is to visit the detailing World Website http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Warning though, you could turn into a complete OCD freak like me - I did not even want the dealers to prep my car when it arrived, and Lexus have a note on my records already never to touch the car when it goes in - even though the local dealer seems to do a fair job of prepping the cars they have. Shame you live so far away, else I would happily have a look at your car and see what I could do.

thanks for the replies..... I do use a lambswool mitt, rinse off and use a chamois leather to dry. I reckon the Autoglym resin polish sounds good, does it come in colour matching "colours"? A trip to my local Halfords tomorrow who do Autoglym.....

haven't tried T cut yet either, thought it may remove Diamondbrite finish.... there again doesn't seem to be very effective!

once again lads, many thanks.

Derek

thanks for the replies..... I do use a lambswool mitt, rinse off and use a chamois leather to dry. I reckon the Autoglym resin polish sounds good, does it come in colour matching "colours"? A trip to my local Halfords tomorrow who do Autoglym.....

haven't tried T cut yet either, thought it may remove Diamondbrite finish.... there again doesn't seem to be very effective!

once again lads, many thanks.

Derek

It does not come in colours, just regular -get some small sponge polish applicators whilst you are at it as well and work it in well. If you don't mind me saying, I would ditch the Chamois, if you have any grit left in the paint then drying with a chamois will leave it no where to go apart from scratching into the paint, where as with a Drying Towel the grit gets caught up into the fibres and away from the paint.

Can't see from Halfords website that they have much suitable there, the traders on the detailing World site are the best source, however I have bought some Car drying towels from Asda a while ago and for £2 -£4 depending if they are on offer they are really pretty good, a couple of them used to dry the car down gives my £20 plush drying towel a run for its money.

Not quite on thread but does anyone know a good supplier of touch up paint - weve got a couple of stone chips that could really do with protecting. Just a bit nervous as arctic pearl looks many different colours in different lights - may not be too easy to get a good match

Not quite on thread but does anyone know a good supplier of touch up paint - weve got a couple of stone chips that could really do with protecting. Just a bit nervous as arctic pearl looks many different colours in different lights - may not be too easy to get a good match

I think you ought to stick with Lexus Dealer, my Mesa Red only cost about £10, I have had mixed results from some of the on line suppliers before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lexus paint is quite soft and its really easy to inflict damage yourself through washing (using a sponge for example rather than a plush wash mitt) or drying the car off (using a leather or blade, as opposed to a quality drying towel). It really depends on how much time you have got, I cover my car in snow foam, then jet wash off, then clean each panel in turn with soapy water using a lambs wool wash mitt, cleaning the wash mit out between panels dipping it in to a second bucket of clear water. I then jet wash off, then with water just running out of the hose without any attachment soak the car so most of the standing water sheets off. I than dry very carefully with a couple of plush microfibre drying towels. I will still expect to have a few marks even with this by the time the car is a year old.

Depending on how deep the marks are you might be able to disguise them by hand, rather than a machine polisher which I use, something quite good and easy to get hold of is Autoglyms Silicon Resin Polish. It is a effective 'filler polish' and will help hide them for awhile. if you can feel the scratch if you drag your fingernail accross, then its usuall well beyond fixing by hand. Unfortunately, if the Dimondbrite coating was not put on really carefully, this might have inflicted some of the damage you can see.

What I really recommend if you want to have some ideas on what you can do, is to visit the Detailing World Website http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Warning though, you could turn into a complete OCD freak like me - I did not even want the dealers to prep my car when it arrived, and Lexus have a note on my records already never to touch the car when it goes in - even though the local dealer seems to do a fair job of prepping the cars they have. Shame you live so far away, else I would happily have a look at your car and see what I could do.

Ha! Your the same as me. Lexus Stockport know never to wash my ISF :)

• 1 month later...

Being a detailing enthusiast I can tell you a few things. I own a Merc C Class and a Lexus RX F Sport. The Lexus paint is softer and easier to mark. It needs great care and is very delicate. Some marks are natural, you will get them from stone chips and basically driving around as there are microscopic particles in the air such as dust which WILL mark your car. Its all natural. The only way to remove swirls is by machine polishing and apply a hard coat on top to keep swirls/scratches to a minimum. I found that WOLFS HARD BODY is very good and greatly regarded.

I bought mine from Lexus Stockport as well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links