Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will Reversing Cameras Ever Become Law?

The-Acre

Just a thought I've had lately after I was knocked down a few weeks ago by a reversing van. At work at guy was reversing a Luton van with the tail lift down, obviously he shouldn't have done it. I didn't hear it coming and was knocked backwards on to the tail lift. It resulted in two weeks off work. If it had had a reversing camera he would have seen me. I fitted one to my LS earlier this year and it's been brilliant, also very cheap.

So I wonder if it will ever become law on commercial vehicles, and if it doesn't why not? If the tail lift had been higher I wouldn't have been knocked back but knocked over, doesn't bear thinking about!

PS

The reversing bleeper didn't work as the side lights were on which apparently prevents it.

Phil

You hear of people being killed in incidents like this, so it sounds like you were lucky!

Personally, I don't think a camera would have made much difference - if the guy was prepared to do what he did, I can't see that he'd be particularly bothered about checking the reversing camera either...

I doubt it, government wouldn't want to increase the cost of vehicles and just because a vehicle is fitted with a camera it doesn't mean it is working, the lens is clean, the driver is looking at the image etc.

I suppose what I mean by law, I would see it as an MOT issue. And I understand what Nigel is saying, but with my reversing camera it's just something that catches the eye as soon as reverse is engaged. I'm not even suggesting it's for cars but for vans and lorries, especially as some have them already which shows the benefit of having one.

The reversing bleeper didn't work as the side lights were on which apparently prevents it.

This strikes me as totally nuts. If it's true then surely something has been wired up incorrectly?!

To be honest, a camera and screen aren't exactly expensive when you consider the cost of a commercial vehicle, so I would definitely support a move to make them mandatory, but when you consider that the government are pointlessly trying to bring in legislation against middle lane drivers (which in my opinion would be completely unenforceable) I doubt they would do something as sensible as making commercial vehicles fit reversing cameras.

This strikes me as totally nuts. If it's true then surely something has been wired up incorrectly?!

To be honest, a camera and screen aren't exactly expensive when you consider the cost of a commercial vehicle, so I would definitely support a move to make them mandatory, but when you consider that the government are pointlessly trying to bring in legislation against middle lane drivers (which in my opinion would be completely unenforceable) I doubt they would do something as sensible as making commercial vehicles fit reversing cameras.

I totally agree which is why it'll only remain in my head as a good idea! Apparently the reason the bleepers don't work with the lights on is to avoid disturbing people at night.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that a lot of lorry companies have rear facing cameras. I can definitely see that all commercial vehicles would benefit and they should become law. As for the government worried about the extra costs it never worries them when everything else they have their sticky fingers in is always going up. When these things are fitted at point of manufacture the costs are very minimal. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links