Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rust In Unusual Places...

Anybody have surface rust on their rear discs like this?

post-47601-0-28296900-1378902041_thumb.j

It's not the end of the world, but it makes the car look a bit crap.

Any idea how to remove it? Will it just come back?

The next one is more worrying, but very small (about 1mm diameter):

post-47601-0-59734200-1378902247_thumb.j

I was thinking of treating it with a T-cut rust 'pen' and then touching it up over the top, but maybe it's not even worth worrying about?

Any thoughts much appreciated...

The drum section of the discs do rust, I used some of that rust converter on mine and it turned them a dark blue colour which looks a lot better, I guess you could also paint over them after treatment with some high temperature silver paint.

The other spot looks like an untreated paint chip probably initially caused by putting something in or taking out the boot.

Depends on how good a cosmetic finish you want but with it being on the inner edge again remove any loose flakes and rust converter treat then touch up paint on top. It cetainly needs some attention before it spreads.

I like many others also had the rust on the drum part of the rear brakes, i just took the wheel off, used a wire brush and some sand paper to remove the rust, and then painted them with some black hammerite smooth, i don't see the need to use high temperature paint on that part of the brake as it shouldn't get so hot. Cheap, effective, and looks 100 times better, i also painted the caliper while i was there :)

• Like 1

hi,got the same issue with rust on the hub bit,however its down to disc manufacturers as some apply an anti rust coating and some don't,did not have the rust issue with my previous discs as they were coated.

Usually the cheaper brand after market discs are the culprit. As has been said some have a coating to protect against corrosion but some don't.... I bought the cheaper rear discs a couple of years ago (I needed them in a hurry) and whaen I removed the wheels to be powder coated I noted quite a bit of corrosion on them.....Although I really hate the shop, Halfords are handy on a Sunday and have a set of three rotary wire brushes, two fit into drills and one will fit onto a 5 inch angle grinder.... This is really great for cleating up the top hat section and took the disc back to bright metal in minutes (Although I'm not a big fan of Health and safety even I wore safety goggles for this job).... I agree with others about not needing a high temperature paint I opted to use Halfords own high temperature paint in metallic black (Which i in reallity a dark grey) Mainly because I liked the colour and plan to use it on my log burner in the living room. I had initially thought that the paint may be a little porous and allow the disc to rust again but a few weeks on all seems good....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links