Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is300 Service At Toyota Dealership...er No ?

superwang

Hi everyone,

As a new club member and proud owner of a 2001 Lexus is300 Sportcross auto, I am looking to have a 'Full' Service done at a Lexus dealership. However, my nearest is 60 miles away but I have a Toyota Dealership just 60 yards away !!!

I called in the Toyota service department and asked did they carry out a proper service on a Lexus? The manager said yes they could service but not able to carry out any diagnostics reading or resets, only Lexus main dealer can do that job.

Is that the case or is it because my car is an older model? Toyota make the car using Toyota parts.

I though Toyota would be able to plug into my car a diagnostic unit to read the car for defects etc.

By the way, I am looking for the diagnostics socket but cannot locate? Anyone know the secret location of this on my car please?

Thanks for any replies

Phil

Hi.

Sounds to me like the Toyota dealer is talking out if their backside. Of course they can do diagnostics and reset the ecu. Flaming heck I can do that on my driveway!!

You need an obd2 code reader and the plug in point is inside the car, drivers side, near the bonnet release.

Do you have any warning lights? Chances are if no lights on then no fault codes stored but this isn't always the case.

A few years back when I had both a Supra and an LS400 I asked my local Toyota dealership which serviced my Supra for years, if they could do a service/replace the water pump on the LS400.

Apparently they are not supposed to work on Lexus cars, directive from head office...........although they did the work on mine.

The only reason why they would do this that I can think of is Lexus prices are higher?

Not sure if this still applies.

Of course - it all boils down to money. No-one would pay Lexus money to Toyota for servicing and parts fitting, but they happily pay it to Lexus, because it's a luxury brand. Same with apple. You wouldn't spend MacBook money on a laptop from Dell or HP, but you'll happily spend more on a phone from apple than you will on a TV!

The only reason why they would do this that I can think of is Lexus prices are higher?

Toyota GB enforce this to protect their Lexus dealerships. Those dealerships have to invest a lot of money in the facility and in return expect a certain amount of business. There isn't much Toyota GB can do about independents but one thing they can do stop Toyota dealers under cutting Lexus dealers.

If a dealer isn't authorised for Lexus servicing then they aren't able to download those modules into their diagnostic tools.

Hi thanks for replies .....most interesting.

I chat to a Toyota dealer mechanic today and he states Toyota can do any service, easily get the parts but only have access to some diagnostics reading levels as Lexus block full access.

He say I'm better of going the 60 miles to the Lexus dealership and get a proper job done with no restrictions or worries especially as they have a maintenance care service plan to pay monthly etc......at least the engine oil will be hot for the oil change etc lol!!

so I guess this extra news now fully answers my initial question...its Lexus dealer every time !

thanks

Phil

Here in Derby, the Toyota and Lexus dealers are next door to eachother. The Lexus dealership has a service reception desk but no workshop. I wonder where the work gets done………..

Are Toyota franchised? I have 2 local Toyota dealerships near me, one is RRG but the other is HW Moon, they've never said no to doing any job i've asked, all service requirements fulfilled and a check on my EML when my o2 sensor went

Hi Phil as your driving a 2001 car the lexus dealer will want to carry out the 10yr service, providing it hasn't already been done! Cambelt, water pump etc will cost around £950, more if you want new plugs and transmission oil. That's what Lexus hedge end (Southampton) charged me, then didn't fill my car up with enough coolant so I had to go back as it was running hot! I drive an is300 2003 year with full history 45000 miles.

wow!!!!.........serious money Chris....

My car done 74000 miles and had new cam belt and water pump fitted at 63700. Lexus Dealer in Cardiff said the service book indicates a 10yr full service but, just a routine full service would do... all Lubs etc (no belt/pump etc) around £450

If I travel the 120 miles round trip to Lexus dealer, the fuel will cost ??? so to add to the cost on the day. My main Toyota dealer is a 3 minute walk away. is it a 'no brainer' ? lol

I was just concerned the Toyota service would be say.....a little inferior in quality and attention to detail?

I could have the day at Cardiff shops with the wife while waiting.........that may rack up the cost to £950 lol

Thanks

Phil

Thinking about it, I did have it mot'ed, new multi belt and front/rear brake pads. That probably went someway justifying the price. Any Toyota dealer in theory should be fine to work on the car. If you went in with a late model Supra they wouldn't hesitate. As for the engine diagnostics you would imagine that the fault code readers for Toyota/Lexus would also be very similar. Many Toyota lexus dealers share the sale retail sites and workshop facilities! I expect it's the same guys that work on both.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links