Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Sc430 Thoughts

oeo

After 14K miles and two years.... Overall I no-longer consider the SC430 a sports car. It is a very fine, very reliable, high quality, innovative, high value SPORTY car. It is not a sports car like a Porsche, Vette, MGB, Alpha Romeo, etc.

I'm very happy with mine though! Also, according to Edmunds SC430 owner reviews 95% of american SC430 owners are very happy with their cars....

The only complaints and suggestions are... I hope Lexus SC430 designers read this stuff....

1. Air Conditioned front seats.. would be especially nice on hot days with top down

2. Ability to lower or raise rear side windows with top up or down.

3. Radio antenna should not go up when using CD player, like the SC400...

4. I hear some very soft light rattles and subtle noises from various roof areas when roof is up... perfectly understandable in a complicated electric hard top roof... it's not annoying to me at all, and I don't notice it when sound system is on... When roof is up or down in the last few months, I'm occasionally hearing a very quiet soft squeak. I can't tell where it's coming from. It doesn't bother me much though....

5. Offer inflatable spare, tire repair kit, or more room for spare in the trunk or underneath car. The Bridgestone run flats are especially awful after 5K to 7K miles!!!!

As far as the suspension, I was told by my Lexus dealer that the suspension in general from Lexus/SC430 for American cars vs British cars have different specs. They said that the american car's suspension are different. Designed for american roads vs. british driving. Overall I'm happy with my SC430 handling and ride. I'm just not pleased with the Bridgestone run flats starting at about 7,000 miles because of lack of grip and they're too noisey, and harsh ride... definitely not good for the suspension.... So, I'm looking forward to changing to Pirelli PZERO non-run flat tires soon...

If any SC430 owners have any of these issues or other ideas, I'l enjoy heraing from you....

The main gripes for me:

Echo the sentiments about the aerial – to be honest I don’t know why it needs one at all, many manufacturers embed them in the bumper these days

Rain sensing wipers, really miss them after moving from the merc, and cant see any technical reason why the SC doesn’t have them.

Another merc feature that I really miss is the speed limiter on the cruise control, its way to easy to drift well past the speed limit in the SC .

Finally my biggest gripe, is just where the hell are you supposed to put your mobile phone, I’ve resorted to using the ash tray !

Many people seem keen to add remote hood and TV/DVD capabilities. Since the later are on the LS don’t see why they wouldn’t put in the SC.

I was so close to buying an SC earlier this year to replace my GS 430 and the wifes 306 Convertable.

What put me off was the rear seating, either make them usable or get rid of them altogether.

I was looking for a car that on occasions we could use as a family to get the most out of it. We went to the dealers and no matter how we tried the kids could not fit in the rear.

So I bought the TVR and we can use the car as a family on occasions.

So what I would like to see is a longer wheelbase and some space in the rear ;) or just some space in the rear :o

i am with dave there.. why bother with those retarded seats...

saying that.. the second series SC (soarer) is also a coupe and very tight in the back.. but the seats are comfortable and you can make room.. it even has an ashtray in the back.. all executive and stuff.

Guys,

Agree with some comments, not sure about others though!

1. Air Conditioned front seats.. would be especially nice on hot days with top down - Defo would be good

2. Ability to lower or raise rear side windows with top up or down. - Not that bothered about this - I guess the back window could go up and down in conjuction with the front

3. Radio antenna should not go up when using CD player, like the SC400... - Mine always drops when I switch to CD

I've never really saw the need for auto headlights and wipers. I know a few guys who use them, but they always seem to go off for no reason at all

Stick the phone between you legs with vibrate on - my place of choice.

The seats are not too bad. I've had four adults in the car with no real problems, althought the rear seats are a bit too vertical for a comfortable seating pos.

Can anyone else drive the car while the hood is opening - closing. I can do that on mine, and the dealers are very surprised at this

Vin

PSC,

A good place for the cell phone when driving the SC430 that works for me... mine is a small Nokia in the Nokia protective cover... On your drivers door, mine fits nicely and snugley through the leather padded door handle - that's the handle that you use to pull to close the door when you're inside the car...

otherwise thanks for comments and thoughts... keep them coming... because I hope my next car will be another SC430 with everything on our wish lists.... especially including a couple more inches of leg room and more reclined back seats... I still think the back seat is a very good to have for emergency for a third person, maybe fourth, and storage. I've never been comfortable driving a car without some space behind me, either for storage or seats... I guess I'm not a race car driver... Also definitely more trunk space when top is down to better accomodate a spare,etc... I have thoght about re-designing this car for more leg space, but the reason Lexus couldn't do it is because, they'd not only have to make the top roof panel 3 to 4 inches longer, then in turn they'd have to make the trunk length 3 to 4 inches longer to accomodate the hard roof..... making the car 8" longer.... i don't know how that would look? Now if the metal roof top had a discreet seemless fold in the middle....... that would open up much more & better design possibilities!!!

Just ordered my Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S tires... I'm really looking forward to dumping the run flats!!!

Hi Guy's

You should really read you radio hand books, if you switch of the traffic info the ariel will stay down when you have the CD on, I put my mobile on the centre cup holder in works fine.

I use the rear seats often to get four of us to the pub which is all I want the rear seat for just short trips.

• 1 year later...

Per my note earlier today, I have roof noise in one specific place in one of the left rear roof braces, but mine is loud, noticeable, and very annoying. I'm curious as to to whether or not your milder noises are result of chassis flex, bumpy roads, or just seem to be there at any given time.

Thanks-

After 14K miles and two years.... Overall I no-longer consider the SC430 a sports car. It is a very fine, very reliable, high quality, innovative, high value SPORTY car. It is not a sports car like a Porsche, Vette, MGB, Alpha Romeo, etc.

I'm very happy with mine though! Also, according to Edmunds SC430 owner reviews 95% of american SC430 owners are very happy with their cars....

The only complaints and suggestions are... I hope Lexus SC430 designers read this stuff....

1. Air Conditioned front seats.. would be especially nice on hot days with top down

2. Ability to lower or raise rear side windows with top up or down.

3. Radio antenna should not go up when using CD player, like the SC400...

4. I hear some very soft light rattles and subtle noises from various roof areas when roof is up... perfectly understandable in a complicated electric hard top roof... it's not annoying to me at all, and I don't notice it when sound system is on... When roof is up or down in the last few months, I'm occasionally hearing a very quiet soft squeak.  I can't tell where it's coming from.  It doesn't bother me much though....

5. Offer inflatable spare, tire repair kit, or more room for spare in the trunk or underneath car.  The Bridgestone run flats are especially awful after 5K to 7K miles!!!!

As far as the suspension, I was told by my Lexus dealer that the suspension in general from Lexus/SC430 for American cars vs British cars have different specs. They said that the american car's suspension are different. Designed for american roads vs. british driving. Overall I'm happy with my SC430 handling and ride. I'm just not pleased with the Bridgestone run flats starting at about 7,000 miles because of lack of grip and they're too noisey, and harsh ride... definitely not good for the suspension.... So, I'm looking forward to changing to Pirelli PZERO non-run flat tires soon...

If any SC430 owners have any of these issues or other ideas, I'l enjoy heraing from you....

• 3 weeks later...
Stick the phone between you legs with vibrate on - my place of choice.

How much is an SC430 new? Over £50k and your putting your mobile inbetween your legs :lol::lol::lol:

I'm sorry but you spend that sort of money on a car surely you'd fit a car kit? Even a measly IS200 driver like me has a car kit fitted! :driving:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links