Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Got An Is 250, Hope Its Reliable!

Creo

Hello,

Just got myself a 2007 IS 250. Has 84k miles with full Lexus history. Nice colour scheme of Argento Ice and grey leather interior.

Had Lexus 300 and 400's for 15 years (the 400 for 11 years) and moved to a Mercedes a year ago for the worst years car experience of my long life (I will never, ever buy another German car), so back to Lexus. Hoping the IS will be as reliable as its reputation would suggest. Its not mint, but in very good condition. Getting the wheels refurbed before collection, as with every lexus Ive seen they have corroded a bit.

Bought the IS 2 days ago and today bought the missus a Toyota Auris ex-demonstrator, we must like Toyota :)

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi", and hope to contribute in some small way to the forum.

Creo

Good to see you back!

Got to say I got a Merc S Class with half the mileage of my GS450h and whilst it still works OK it is nowhere near as nice or fresh as the Lexus, they really do not survive use as well, nor is it nice to drive!

If your can has come with a warranty then get the following checked before it runs out...

Rear calipers - both - there was a recall a few years back for them seizing - they are expensive to replece. Chances are that if one has gone then the other will have gone also. If it comes with a full lexus history then you may, depending on the mileage and dealer, get lexus to replace at their own expense. Slide pins are the problem. Consider that if they have seized then the cars not been looked after so check the fronts also. I don't think the re-greasing of these are in any service schedule (correct me if I am wrong) ...It takes 10 minutes to check / re-grease each corner so a good indication of whether the cars been looked after as its a known problem.

Exhaust - there is a weak spot on the centre piece just past the rear box next to the joint to the two back boxes - if its going to go it will be here first. Get this checked out (preferably while on a ramp) - again this is big money to replace.

Hello Creo and welcome to the forum :)

I'm on my second IS 250, the first was an SE petrol auto, bought new in 2005. I ran it for 5 years, did over 95,000 miles and it never missed a beat. I took out the extended warranty after three years because I was fearful that a mechanical failure could be very costly. As it turned out I never had to make a claim on it as the car was running as sweetly when I part exchanged it for my current one as it did on the day I bought it.

I was converted to the Toyota brand over 30 years ago - until then I'd never had reliable cars. Their customer service, reliability and great cars have kept me loyal ever since. I know that Lexus owners aren't supposed to even mention the 'T' word, but hey that's where the money came from to start Lexus so I think credit where it's due.

Anyway, back to the original poster. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your IS 250 - is it the petrol or diesel variant? I only ask because the petrol engines are great but there seem to have been some problems with the diesel engines according to various reports on this forum.

Hope you enjoy your new car.

Robert

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links