Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Lexus Owner - Mk 4 - Impressions

I have finally taken the plunge and bought a mk 4 LS 400. It has done 60000 miles, with a good service history and two owners, a company bought it new and then the last private owner had it for ten years. It is to be a weekend/hobby car for trips to see my folks in South Wales and days out, and is on classic car insurance, I drove it back across the Pennines to Yorkshire today and the last time I did this route was in my newly acquired brand new Jaguar XF 3.0 D Portfolio over three years ago. I never buy new cars but at that time used XFs were fetching as much as new ones. There should be no comparison between the two because the Jag was new and cost 17 times the cost of the Lexus. As regards the Lexus - what a bloody car! The steering is not as sharp or direct as the Jag's, but the comfort, refinement and feel good factor are, as far as I can remember from 3 - 4 years ago, actually better. I expected it to be quiet and refined but it exceeded my expectations. It is an astonishing piece of engineering, by any standards. Some forum members claim that the LS430 is more refined. I can't see how this is possible.

I sold the Jag after two months, it was slightly disappointing, did not live up to the hype, the ride was very average on 20" wheels. I was lucky and got most of my money back because of my timing. It was far too much money to have tied up in a car (over £42000). I am not wealthy and was scared to leave it parked up. There are far more about nowadays. I recently decided that I wanted a luxury car for long trips and have been oscillating between Jags ( I am a long term jag lover and have a Mk 2 3.4 to restore when I get time), BMWs ( I had a 330D from nearly new and for five years) and Mercs. The BMW was truly a great car but repair bills before 20000 miles would have bankrupted me if it had not been under warranty. I did not want a diesel, with the attendant DMF and DPF issues. I looked at Mercedes, but the last good ones were the W124 E class and they tend to rust out, making it hard to find a good one. They are also sparse, for a luxury car and aircon, for example, is a rare and welcome option. It is actually possible to buy them with wind up windows. great cars though. Even many well regarded luxury cars seem to have potentially expensive weaknesses. My research kept bringing me back to Lexus so here I am. Newer cars have become increasingly complex and expensive to repair and petrol models are ridiculous on road tax..

My daily workhorse is a Skoda Octavia diesel. Really good car, but I was careful to find a pre DPF 1.9 diesel. It does 50 to the gallon, so I take the view that the Skoda and Lexus will result in a reasonable average of 35mpg or so (if i can bring myself to drive the Skoda again after today)

I have a feeling that the Lexus is a car that grows on you the longer you have it. Mine is in good condition, but I intend to spend a bit on it to improve it further. The badges need to go. They are gold, not to my taste at all and are a bit scruffy. I need to source a set of chrome badges. If the 400 costs me money to keep it up, it does not concern me too much, within reason. After all, even taking into consideration newer cars, what else can you get? I am looking forward to the ownership experience.

• Like 1

You won't be disappointed, It will grow and grow on you & most likely never let you down. Get an lpg conversion & sell the Skoda it will work out cheaper to run than 2 cars & give you an easy average of 40mpg equivalent 35 around heavy town traffic & up to 55 on the run if you don't push it. Enjoy & welcome. PS how much did a 60k mark 4 set you back.

Hello Hugh.

Can you keep it down a bit as we don't want to many people knowing about these fantastic cars, so if friends or relatives ask what you think of it just say its OK.

Welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and most problems are solved on here pretty quickly as we are blessed with some really knowledgeable members who are always happy to help. Mike

The best of luck with your new baby you will get a buzz each time you take it out, this especially as you intend to keep it for high days and holidays as I do.With this in mind make sure you get it on a intelligent Battery charger as it will flatten the Battery if not driven regularly ,at least once a week and not a trip round the block.As you will of gleaned off the forum the Mark 4 security system uses a lot of power and cannot be switched off.I have had mine 18 months now after owning a Mark1 for 16 years so have had chance to find out its little foibles and this is the only one I have had to solve.If the windscreen washer fluid light is on even though the bottle is full is a common fault ,quickest solution new float switch from Lexus £45 or dry the old one out and spray with clearcote.

Congratulations with your 'new' Ls400!

You are right - there are not many cars that come close to the mkIV Ls400. I have tried many, many cars and haven't found a decent rival yet. Of course, if you have a few bobs to spend, I suppose a new Bentley or Rolls Royce might come close :)

Best to use it everyday methinks.......... why wouldn't you want all that luxury motoring every day ????

I do and 11 years of Ls400 motoring I have little choice but to use mine every day ....... and I'm far from disappointed at being placed in that situation .......... it's great :whistling: nah, actually ............... it's fantastic.

Malc

• Like 1

Thank you all for the comments and tips. Experience of the Mark 4's foibles and features are much appreciated, keep then coming. I will definitely look into a Battery charger. I know what you mean about keeping it quiet about how good these cars are. I have always been a petrolhead. I counted how many cars I've owned since passing my test 41 years ago and stopped counting at 65 (including cars owned by my wife). I still have a mk2 jag and a 1975 Lancia 2000hf Coupe, both of which were daily cars at one time, but both now needing restoration.

I can't understand why the LS has been off my radar for so long, it seems to be a well kept secret. Perhaps the engine size put me off initially but when I realised that the fuel consumption is on a par or only slightly worse than the IS 200, it seemed like a no brainer. It is a bit too big for crowded roads and parking spaces and ideally I could have gone for something smaller, like the IS or GS. However, the long wheelbase of the LS must be a factor in ride comfort and I wanted comfort and refinement above all else. I started out as an engineering apprenticeship and also value engineering excellence. When I read about the resources and attention to detail that went into the development of the LS, such as 60 engineers working solely on noise, vibration and harshness, it had to be the LS

The best of luck with your new baby you will get a buzz each time you take it out, this especially as you intend to keep it for high days and holidays as I do.With this in mind make sure you get it on a intelligent battery charger as it will flatten the battery if not driven regularly ,at least once a week and not a trip round the block.As you will of gleaned off the forum the Mark 4 security system uses a lot of power and cannot be switched off.I have had mine 18 months now after owning a Mark1 for 16 years so have had chance to find out its little foibles and this is the only one I have had to solve.If the windscreen washer fluid light is on even though the bottle is full is a common fault ,quickest solution new float switch from Lexus £45 or dry the old one out and spray with clearcote.

I have a solar panel on the back window ledge, keeps the Battery topped up when I'm off on holiday

Thanks for that Mybikes a cx500. If it works it sounds more manageable than having a charger into the mains full time. Incidentally, back in my biking days I had a CX 500. Similar concept to teh Lexus in that it ran like a sewing machine. I loved my "maggot"

The CX500 was the bike world equivalent to the Lexus, I think the pump thing is an urban myth! I also had a CX650, that thing could pull a tank out of a bog, but I digress,

I have a solar panel on the back shelf, wired via a controller in the boot to the wiring for the boot light, which quietly and automatically looks after the Battery , something along the lines of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10W-12V-solar-panel-battery-charger-for-motorhome-caravan-camper-boat-car-/110986569526?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item19d750a736

would be more than adequate i think, even in winter low-light

The CX500 was the bike world equivalent to the Lexus, I think the pump thing is an urban myth! I also had a CX650, that thing could pull a tank out of a bog, but I digress,

I have a solar panel on the back shelf, wired via a controller in the boot to the wiring for the boot light, which quietly and automatically looks after the battery , something along the lines of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10W-12V-solar-panel-battery-charger-for-motorhome-caravan-camper-boat-car-/110986569526?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item19d750a736

would be more than adequate i think, even in winter low-light

I'm still amazed solar power actually works in our Scottish climate :)

Actually no it is'nt ,the cigarette lighter circuits are only activated when ignition is on if you are going to use the cigarette lighter front or rear you will need to bypass the ignition circuit and wire them directly to the Battery circuit preferably through a fused switch.My mark 4s previous owner had this done for the use of solar panel charging but I removed the whole arrangement as it was done less than professionally and I don't like any wiring on the car that is not original or protected.I can also keep mine in a locked garage with an intelligent mains charger keeping the Battery topped up

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links