Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear-wheel Drive Newbie

Last week I had a IS200 prove (an hour) and the car let me impressed. What a nice experience!

I don't know if Rear-wheel drive is really dangerous in specific situations (rain, ice..)

Many people says me: 'Rear-wheel drive whithout Stability Control? '

I'm confused. I like tihs car but, Will be IS200 safe for me?

What your opinion?

it depends on how heavy footed you are.. the car has traction control and when turned off you will see a dramatic differnce.

Like any rear wheel drive car that if you are not carfull on roundabout in the wet then you will expect a bit of tail happy motoring.

but you cannot beat RWD motors... fantastic!

Basically, the IS has traction control, so with this switched on, even in the wet, you wont have any problems.. You have to be a bit gentle on ice.. but thats the same as with any car..

The IS is quite progressive, unlike some RWD cars (e.g. capri), if it does oversteer, it will be quite gentle, and easy to correct..

Your not going to end up sliding backwards into tree's unless you drive like an absolute muppet.

there safe enough,ok in wet ,ice leaves a lot to be desired,front wheel drive are much better but you get more fun from rear wheel,i think the 200 handles well with being rear wheel because its like a go cart,when you accelerate out of corners the wheels you steer arnt being pulled like front wheel,if you know what i mean,safe motors mate :)

Had a rear wheel drive bmw e36 as my first car and drove a golf, passat, audi before getting the IS and the rear wheel drive feels like your in much more control (as long as your not booting it round corners like a madman) when I did decide to put my foot down it was very fun, the bmw scared me a couple of times as is as tail happy as the Lex, but i would always have rear wheel drive.

The Lex is my first rwd car. At the beginning, trac control was always on, now, it is only when the road is wet. As everything, you learn with practice ;)

Round-about drifting is soooo fun :whistling: on private roads off course.

At the beginning, trac control was always on, now, it is only when the road is wet. As everything, you learn with practice  ;)

Round-about drifting is soooo fun  :whistling: on private roads off course.

RWD is the biggest fun B) ...though be aware of the fact that the IS200 is quite heavy compared to other cars of it's size, so when it breaks out, it really breaks out! :nuke:

Although I drive often without TRC off, I still prefer to keep it on for wet road conditions unless I know I have a clear playground with no obstacles and I feel like going for a "good session". :P

:excl: Also you should keep in mind that the IS200 only gets really jumpy as from 4600rpm (100rpm) so you shouldn't be too afraid to give it some foot when accelerating out of a corner having rpm's lower then mentioned above. :excl:

This means you can get moderate to good acceleration out of corners with a large safety margin.

One more thing I've experienced using traction control and teasing my IS200 is that when on dry asphalt with TRC on and if you get out of shape you should not wait for the real engine limiting to kick in, 'cause then you'll get a kind of smack that is asking for some fast steering response....get that foot off the accelerater 'til you get back good grip and then come right back in on the "power" (like a cart :lol: )

anyway, if you can get her out of shape you'd better be on the ball! :whistling:

the summary :winky: : IS200 is loads of fun on the wet with TRC off. :D

Have FUN but know where and when to have it :excl:

Greetz,

-<CruzMissile--=

Thanks!

I've just take the final decission: IS 200 Auto

Ah! The dealer is grateful for your opinion :D

So when are you getting it? Which dealer? What colour? (Not that we're nosey) :winky: :winky:

Your not going to end up sliding backwards into tree's unless you drive like an absolute muppet.

I had my Lexus for three days... the first RWD car I have ever driven. Came to a r/bout in the wet and wanted the first left (should really be a slip road since the r/bout is a fast one!). I was doing about 35... the road has a 60 limit.

TRC was on but that didn't stop my a$$ from sliding away from me.:o Due to playing V-rally excessively on the PS1 all those years ago I had the foresight to ease off the accelerator and turn into the skid. The car corrected but I was fortunate the left-turn off that r/bout is two lanes, and that there was no other traffic on the road!!

Mate was ssoooooo happy that I'd come to pick him up. His missus had just given birth to his son about three weeks previous, and this was the first night out after the birth. Needless to say his wife doesn't allow me to pick him up any more!

You learn from your mistakes... I am lucky such a mistake did not cost me more than the time-and-effort I needed to spend to get my wheels re-balanced.

Moral of the story : Don't put yer foot down in the wet until the car is straight.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links