Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help Please! My Mk 4 Thinks I'm A Car Thief!

This afternoon I decided to teach myself how to operate my 'new' Mk 4's satnav. I got into the car, inserted my 'mechanical' key (as opposed to one with remote buttons) and sure enough, the steering wheel mechanism promptly went into action and lowered the steering wheel to its last settings. So far so good.

I then played with the sat nav and went on to operate the audio system, CD and radio using the touch screen. After about an hour I decided to switch off and when I pulled out the key I noticed that the steering wheel did not move away from me to the 'exit' position as it always did. This change in behaviour sent immediate shivers down my spine. What had I disturbed?

I then thought starting the car would do the trick, so I started it with no problems but once I switched it off after about 30 seconds, the steering wheel remained unmoved. I also noticed that the windows would not wind down. On one occasion they did, but then nothing.

I tried locking the car with the remote system but could do this only once. Fortunately I could still unlock it manually. I tried all kinds of permutations but this was what would happen:

The little red security flashing light would flash. I inserted the key and turned it to ACC. No problem, but then the minute I turned it to IGNITION the anti-theft alarm would go off for about 30 seconds.

The car kept doing this until I diagnosed that probably what I had done was draining the Battery whilst playing with the gizmos. The car, I surmised, reacted to this by setting off the alarm. I opened the bonnet--alarm went off--but stopped after 30 secs. I connected my charger and after three hours the charger indicated a full charge.

I then inserted the key hoping to see the tilting mechanism reacting to this. NOTHING. Bad sign I thought. Switched to ACC--no problem, but as soon as I went one step further to IGNITION

the alarm went off again!

In desperation, after speaking to both my indie in Angering as well as to The-Acre (Phil) who I know personally, I decided, as prompted by the previous owner, to disconnect the Battery and then to reconnect it after about ten minutes and then to DO NOTHING for about an hour. This, according to him, should restore the settings to their 'normal' condition. I tried this, but as soon as I reconnected the Battery the alarm went of AGAIN!

So, the car is now in the garage, with the Battery disconnected as I wait for some kind soul in here to tell me what to do. If someone PMs me I'd be more than happy to return the call, or conversely give out my mobile number.

Thank you all so much.

Pepe

when you Re-connect the battery - the alarms goes off - this is normal - so you need to reconnect the battery - when it goes off just press unlock on the remote key - finish connecting the battery and then see if your symptoms have gone

Thank you, Mark. I reconnected, alarm went off, pressed unlock, alarm stopped. Then went to driver's door. It was locked. Pressed unlock, door obeyed. This is exactly where I am. I haven't done anything else. I'm terrified of putting the key in the ignition because the previous owner said to DO NOTHING for about an hour after reconnecting the Battery. What do you think?

Thank you both Mark and Rudy very much indeed. I just went to the garage and, as you said, Rudy, everything was back to normal. The tilting mechanism working properly was the first sign. At this very moment the car is idling in the garage. The question remains, however, what did I disturb?

Good night

Pepe

It may be that you drained the Battery.

On my MK IV there is a sticker near the Battery which tells you to insert the key into the ignition and turn to the ON position, leave it for six minutes, turn it to the OFF position then start the car.

This has always worked for me after having a flat Battery or disconnecting the Battery.

I hope this helps.

Steve.

To sum up, I would conclude that I did drain the Battery, as Steve and Jimmy indicate, and that started a chain reaction that I didn't handle properly. As I said, everything is back to normal now. Many thanks again to all of you!

Pepe

I had same issues in past, but could not believe that playing with gizmos drains the Battery. Re-charged Battery and all okay for a while and then alarm kept going off for no reason.

Turns out Battery was developing a failing cell - recharging half sorts out the failing cell - and eventually when cell failed (about 2 months later) a new Battery got me all ship shape.

Then was able to sit in car for hours without engine running and no problems.

Mind you the fan on for about 1 hour at top whack will probably go someway towards eating the battery's charge

• Like 1

glad you got it sorted - i remember when i used to have a Mitsubishi Pajero - I managed to switch off the ignition whilst still in drive and ofcourse you cant remove the Key untill you put it in park!! - I was seconds away from calling the locksmith when i realised what had happened - big slow chugging 2.5 TD bus that was ! ! !

Very interesting, Pete. My battery is three years old. Thanks for the tip.

Pepe,

I find batteries last about 3 to 4 years, and it is the failing cells that gives you problems.

Now at the first sign of possible problems I get along to local Battery dealer and they run a test and can tell whether there is a problem.

I must say my old Omega would not worry about slightly dodgy Battery, but the Lexi seems more sensitive

I had the same sort of problem with a 1994 Mk3.

I had to leave the car parked for quite long periods of time in the staff car park at the airport. Everything was fine till they moved the car park to the end of the runway. People started to report that their car alarms were activated by the power vibrations from departing aircraft or the high energy radar emissions from landing aircraft.

I came back from a trip to find that the key fob wouldn't unlock the door. I used the actual key to open the door, found that the Battery was flat then, when I tried to get a jump start, found that the car considered me to be a thief. It took a lot of hassle and visits from the RAC to get it started. After it happened a second time, I decided to try and devise a way round the 'thief' problem. This is what I came up with:

I made up two electrical leads, one black and one red, 3 metres long and with crocodile clips on each end of the leads. The leads were very light gauge, about 3mm copper.

Next time that I had a flat Battery, I used the key to open the door then popped the bonnet. I connected the leads to the Battery terminals then, because they were so thin, I was able to completely close the bonnet on them.

I made sure that all the doors and boot were closed.

I then connected the leads to a good Battery (AA, RAC, friend, passing motorist, etc)

Now there was enough power to operate the door locks so, using the fob, I LOCKED the doors.

Electronically, the car was now back where it started.

I UNLOCKED the doors using the fob and raised the bonnet.

I now disconnected the small leads and used standard jump leads to start the car without any problems.

I used this method about 5 times in the life of the car.

It took me a while to discover that, unlike other cars, the Lexus wasn't really bothered by aircraft landing and taking off...........the real problem was an intermittent boot light switch. Every time I tested it, it was OK........but, every now and then, the light stayed on and drained the Battery. Overnight was no problem but, up to a week in a car park, drained the Battery completely. The fact that the car park was moved was just a coincidence.

• Like 2

Thank you Brian, for posting this clever procedure. I am still at a loss to understand what I did whilst I was still in the car that resulted in the car arming itself.

Thank you Brian, for posting this clever procedure. I am still at a loss to understand what I did whilst I was still in the car that resulted in the car arming itself.

I think I have found the answer to my own question, namely, how can the car arm itself without warning, as it happened to me?

By reading the Security section of my MK 3 manual I learned the some cars come with AUTOMATIC (PASSIVE) ARMING. It would appear that my MK 4 has this feature. This happens when "with the ignition switch in the ACC or OFF position, the passive arming function is activated by a door/boot opening."

It would appear that whilst sitting inside the car playing with the car's gizmos, and with the key in the ACC position I opened the driver's door. The rest is history . . .

For our benefit I have scanned and attached the relevant pages. I certainly learned something new.

LS400_MK_3_SECURITY.pdf

Pepe

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links