Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Interested In Buying Is220D.

To be fair you read about all the bad 220ds on here - I'm not saying for a second they don't have their problems, but I think it's fair to say that most haven't had HG failure after 25-30k and even then, Toyota have been more than generous with this acknowledged design flaw, extending the warranty to 7yrs/112k (full service history permitting). Other than that fairly major fault they are pretty reliable as far as a modern diesels go IMO.

Ref the S40, they are a lovely car - we had one for 5 years (petrol) and it was pretty reliable apart from the Abs control unit fault @ £1500 which is extremely common in pre 08 cars afaik. Reference the diesel (2.0d) - I haven't driven it in an S40 but have driven the Focus 2.0d which has the same engine. I agree, it's not as laggy as the 220d but it's certainly not any faster, but no doubt it's more economical the 2.2 D-CAT system kills mpg around town. Regarding reliability, the mates 2.0d has 110k and now is getting hard to start at times and mechanic reckons it needs injectors (big money).

My point is modern cars (especially diesels) have the potential for big bills, there's no such thing as the totally reliable car unfortunately and there's a degree of luck.

+1 - the older you buy, the greater the chance of something going wrong...

Any more details on the car you are looking at - mileage / model / condition etc...

I need to do my plugs soon but believe its a right B*tch to do ... just by what you need to removed on the left bank just to get to them - its good having a mechanic on the forum - maybe if you change them you could do a walk through on how they are done. They are quite expensive at around £100 -£120 for a set of 6 but they do have a 100k lifespan.

The SE-L is the top spec model - look for the Mark Levinson logo on the cd player - if you have this then you have the surround sound and reversing camera fitted. The only think missing from these cars in my opinion is a sunroof which I would much rather have than the air con.

Did you manage to get it checked over?

I need to do my plugs soon but believe its a right B*tch to do ... just by what you need to removed on the left bank just to get to them - its good having a mechanic on the forum - maybe if you change them you could do a walk through on how they are done. They are quite expensive at around £100 -£120 for a set of 6 but they do have a 100k lifespan.

I thought it was 60k, i.e. the big service where they change them??

Any more details on the car you are looking at - mileage / model / condition etc...

The SE-L is the top spec model - look for the Mark Levinson logo on the cd player - if you have this then you have the surround sound and reversing camera fitted. The only think missing from these cars in my opinion is a sunroof which I would much rather have than the air con.

Did you manage to get it checked over?

Mileage - 86k

Model - Lexus IS250 SE-L

Doesn't have the sat nav or revering camera, multimedia kit? Is it a optional extra?

MOT - Nov 2014 / Tax is out at the end of the month.

Well its only went through MOT two months ago, it would need rear pads. I'm not sure if the spark plugs have been done but I'd need to ring up the garage that serviced it at 54k. Hair line crack on the driver side mirror, minor detail and the spot light missing on the p/s mirror. Apart from that the leather was in pretty good condition for being 2006 and the body work was looked pretty clean.

Trying to bid the guy £4200ish haha.

I may be wrong with the service interval for the plugs - I am pretty sure mine have not been done at 73k - had it in my head from somewhere that it was 100k they needed replacing (maybe that was my old IS200?)

Mine is an SE-L and has the Mark Levinson kit on it and I think a lot of the SE-L models do have it - I had read on another post someone thinking they were looking at an SE-L but it was actually an SE-I (Worth a check)

I think its worth it if you can find one with the Levinson system on it if you can. The Sat Nav is out of date but it works pretty well - has not let me down - sound is good from the system and the reversing cam is a handy gadget to have.

Rear pads are a doddle to do - will cost you around £30 for a set of Mintex pads.

Drivers side mirror will be expensive as they dim along with the rear view mirror when headlights hit them. When mine went on my old 200 the mirror "bled" like the old LED screens did when they broke and they are expensive to replace. Also if its cracked does it heat up? Check movement on it also - does it tilt down when reversing?

When you said the spot light is missing on the passenger side mirror do you mean the puddle light under the mirror itself or the spot light on the bumper.

Price would be ok at 4200 if he goes for it - definitely get the exhaust checked out.

The SE-L from that era (i.e. pre facelift in 2009 MY) had front and rear parking sensors, wood trim (Yamaha Piano wood), Xenons, rear blind ++

EDIT

Options were Automatic transmission, sunroof, Satnav (MLS), PCS (pre-crash safety) and ACC (Adaptive Cruise control) and 18 inch wheels (though these could be spec'd on an SE too) if I'm not mistaken.

(From Sept 2008 (2009 MY) It was Auto only, 18 inch powder coated darker wheels, dark wood, MLS standard if I recall too)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links