Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Time For A Change Maybe

I'm toying with the idea of changing my 55 plate IS250 for a BMW 330i M Sport.I have had the Lexus for only 2 years and it only has 52k on the clock, after previously owning a 53 plate Honda Accord with a 2.4 litre engine.My wife drives a BMW 325i iCoupe which is a fabulous car with a silky smooth straight six engine and autobox.

The Lexus is a nice car especially in SEL trim, but even the Honda was a more involving drive. I just feel that the IS could almost drive itself home some days without any interaction from me.

I do enjoy some spirited driving and just want something that will raise my pulse rate a little. I regret selling the Honda as it was a great car with all the options that were available at the time.

Any thoughts ?

The BMW M Sport is very exciting to drive from factory. The IS250 (even the F Sport ones) are not even close. You can spend money on the Lexus to bring it close to the BMW experience but that sort of deceives the purpose.

Between the two of these, BMW is the clear choice if you are a thrill seeker.

I was looking at a used a 08 BMW. I am wise enough thank you John and probably had a few more cars than you, therefore I know what i really want.

The BMW is just a better drivers car.

for thrill seeking I will say BMW I heard the 2 gen IS's are quite dull to drive compared to the 1st Gen but the F sport Package makes them more involving to drive. the weight of the IS250 does not help either. driven my mates 01' 330Ci M sport lots of times and the thing sounds and just sticks to bends like its on rails. also considered a 330i M sport steptronic but IS300 won for me. off topic Hondaman but how are those 2.4 Accords like was yours and auto or manual am considering one and reviews have confirmed they more involving to drive and obviously better mpg??

I never understand how people drive "spirited" on roads that are clogged up with traffic, full of pot holes, and idiots texting. Do they drive badly, taking risks, cornering too quickly and cutting people up for the thrill of it? If so then a BMW is a great choice as they are mainly driven by *****.

Constructive critism would be much appreciated. I'm not saying anything is badly wrong with the IS.

My wife drives a BMW and she is not a t×××.

Watch your chavvy mouth Creo !

The honda was a great car that i drove in manual mode 90% of the time.A quick car with average mpg for a 2.4 litre

It is difficult to conceive of "thrills", "spirited driving" and "pulse raises" on public roads without there being risk to the driver or other road users or both. Driving in this manner is, at best, irresponsible and immature. There are plenty of ways in which thrills can be obtained and personal limits tested in an environment which does not compromise the interests of others. Before you buy a BMW and indulge in spirited driving, Hondaman, why not ask your wife if being a widow or long-term carer appeals to her? And ask yourself if being a paraplegic or serving a prison sentence for the consequences of spirited driving appeals to you.

Stop preaching and judging and simply answer the question. Is the BMW better than the Lexus. I do not speed on public roads and have zero points on my licence.I do attend track days on a few occasions per year.

Time for me to join another forum.....

P.S. I also do the school run every morning and would never endanger mine or anyone elses children.

Hondaman, I think your best bet is to post the same question in a BMW forum. The folks over there should be able to give you proper advice on what it is like to own and run a 330i. As to how it drives in comparison to the IS250, I guess it's worth taking one for a spin and letting us know what you think. :)

I completely understand your need for a slightly more agile car. I live in Milton Keynes, and having a less wafty car can be a plus with all the roundabouts over here. My job also requires me to travel to sites that are often located in remote and obscure locations - but they are connected by some really nice (and quiet) country roads, which can be rewarding to drive on in a well-sorted car without ever exceeding the speed limit.

To somewhat answer your original question, I own both a BMW and a Lexus. And despite being the barge that it is, my 745i still out-manoeuvres my IS200. But discussing the driving dynamics of a BMW in a Lexus forum is the same as discussing the reliability of a Lexus in a BMW forum - it often leads to "amusing" replies :P

Let us know how you get on. On another note, did you consider the current-shape Honda Accord as a possible replacement?

• Like 1

Some very odd and unnecessary replies to this thread. If you are going to be a bell end don't reply!!! The guy just wants advice!

If you want thrills looks like the bmw is the car for you.

What is your criteria and budget fella?

Stu

as Ganesh says take one up for a spin..its a fun car my mates one but before I went for the lexus I asked my self one question. 'how often would I use the handling capabilities of the 330 BMW' against the more coushin feel of the 300 and regardless of the 300 having a softer setup is not far off the handling of the BMW. thing is Lexus can make an agile handling car if they want to but I guess they always try to keep the soothnes and softy ride in all their models. test drive the M sport 330i and hop back in the 250 and you can tell how soft the Lexus is setup. every time I was in my mates car and went into mine it felt like I was floating even with 18" lowered sport suspension on.

those new Accords need the 3.5 V6 300bhp engine from the Legends Ganesh..and throw in the Super handling-AWD feature aswell. they look really nice and big.

• Like 1

I just want a better handling car I guess. My wife drives a 56 plate 325i Coupe, and it just feels so much direct than my Lexus IS250. I don't fancy the newer shape Accord as I think it is too big and wide.

I need 4 doors and a autobox. Tax is not really an issue but a 335i is out of my league.

same as my mates his is a 330Ci M sport. don't forget the coupes are lighter due to having 2 less doors so will have a handling advantage over most 4 doors. rather than a 335i I would say go for an E46 M3 the 335i's engines are said to over heat and cook certain internal engine parts due to running too hot but how common it is I have no idea. money saved from going 335i can be used for petrol for the E46 M3 :winky: .

What is the difference between a "regular" 330i and an M-Sport?

am guessing tuned exhaust and M suspensions maybe slight geometry setup to make it more agile its quite harsher ride compared to the 520i I had briefly and way harsher than my 300 but its an 01 plate so not sure if BMW had made it softer in newer models tho..

Some very odd and unnecessary replies to this thread. If you are going to be a bell end don't reply!!! The guy just wants advice!

Anyone asking for advice as to what car is best suited for a manner of driving that is inappropriate for modern UK road conditions must expect other road users to express disapproval.

Anyone asking for advice as to what car is best suited for a manner of driving that is inappropriate for modern UK road conditions must expect other road users to express disapproval.

You can own a sporty car and still enjoy it within legal limits. The comments were ridiculous.

I agree - it depends where you live. If you live in town, then the chance to stretch it's legs might be somewhat restricted, but then why does everyone not just buy a Fiat Panda??

The 330i is awesome - it's plenty quick, on rails etc, and Hondaman I think you know the answer to your own question????

I like you have had several BMW's and all I can say is that they are superb - just buy one with a full history and from the dealers. They might not be as reliable as a Jap car, but they are not that far behind and the thrills out weigh the chance of something breaking. I will get one next me thinks!

There is only one thing to watch out - (injector) Coil Packs on post 2007 models - check with the dealer if they have ever been replaced - and even that problem is rare.

And try and avoid the 19 inch rims which are prone to cracking. 335i's are astonishingly quick. - but like all things - it has been boosted by twin turbo's and you won't know how it was driven before.

I just want a better handling car I guess. .

if you are ok with the 250's power then you can always get the F-sport package and see if it does then job. and SE-L will be more softer than and F-sport. better handling sacrifices comfort..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Or1pTg4IgI

hears what on journalist had to say on F-sport packages

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/lexus-f-sport-package-is-brilliant-60506.html

The F Sport is OK in my humbleness, but the way the 3 series handles leaves you smiling; I don't think any basic upgrade will make it even close to a 3 series - the standard IS is no proper Sports saloon. Take the ISF - it's brilliant in every way, but the M3 is just that little bit better....BMW have been making performance saloons with straight 6's since the late 60's and the 3.0 engine is probably the best 6 cylinder engine they ever made

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links