Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I know I've asked a few sat nav questions recently but I want to know what version a 2000 W reg GS 300 sat nav CD should be. I took mine out to have a look because there seemed to be some roads/cities missing. It is version 2.1 98-99 data. I've heard some people say they have S reg cars with newer (v3+) versions. So why is my W reg got what looks like the original 1998 CD ? Any ideas ? Should I tell the dealer to get me a new one ?

If you're happy and you know and you really want to show it, if you're happy and you know it clap your hands!

Well done.

Point being. Dude, your car has a few oddities? embrace them! Are you unhappy with your Sat nav? No, then why worry. Just enjoy. you might blag a new one but the dealer will remember you and you'll pay next tiime or two when you are back for service...

That said, its half four and I have started to not give a french f**k!

Loz :yawn: :zee:

You're disc the probably the one that came with the car when it was new and the previous owner(s) never updated it. I guess Version 2.1 was current in 2000.

The data used is normally 12-18 months old when the disc is released, so a 98-99 data would be on a 2000 CD. You're disc isn't a 98 one, that would be version 1.0 or 1.1.

It's worth asking the dealer about it, you may be luckly and get an upgrade or unluckly and shown where the spares department is.

Gary,

I have a '98 GS300 witbn satnav and I think I have the same version as you do. The trip greys out on the move and the interface is a trifle primitive. But it's not worth £150 for me to update it.

Have you established whether the following is possible? I wanted to put in a "point to avoid" consisting of, basically, the A1. I'm sure when I first played with it I found a way of entering a whole road number like that, but now I can only seem to put in a single point ON the A1, rather than "can you PLEASE just avoid the whole road for me and not just reroute me two hundred yards through a layby?".

The detour function hardly ever works, and although the manual says that when you choose to see a point of interest the map will zoom out until you do, it blinking well doesn't. Just says "no poi".

And I wish she didn't keep saying "in two hundred yards bear left", because I've looked and there never is a bear.

Hey up dipstick ! (sounds like something Del Boy would say :lol: )

The "trip" greying out is caused my a movement sensor not something on the CD - unless the software on the CD controls whether to turn it on or not. Anyway it's totally pants. It's for safety Lexus say but it still lets you choose new points of interest on the map which is more button presses than clicking on "Trip". I wish Lexus would have put a "trip summary" button on the dash at the side of the navigation unit.

Press "MENU" on the button on the dash panel next to the screen and a series of buttons appear on the screen.

When the vehicle is on the move the "TRIP" button greys out (along with about six other buttons". When the vehicle is stopped the buttons light up again.

The trip computer is accessible on my old GS300 when on the move. I used it all the time. It's the version of sat nav disc that's the problem. It not only contains the road data but the code the system runs so a new disc will upgrade the firmware and the operating system. You should then be able to press the trip button at will.

When you first put in a new disc the system takes a minute to firmware upgrade. I don't know if this will enable the new options or it runs from the disc. If it is the first option then you may be able to borrow a disc from somebody, let the system upgrade and then put in your old disc. Worth a try but I guess you will probably need the new disc in all the time to make use of the new options.

One advantage of the trip button NOT working, to my mind, is that you can't see the horror that is labelled mpg, but actually turns on a hoover directly attached to your wallet.

Having said that I've been pleasantly surprised to get between 28 and 31 mpg from my SE over the 7k I've driven since owning it. Shell Optimax does make a difference, but most of that has actually been Tesco's own petrol. It is of course entirely debateable whether putting Tesco's Own Value Light Low Cal Lemonade in the tank would work equally well, given that it tastes the same.

This is a great help. Thanks lads - I need a new sat nav CD then !

Dipstick - how the hell are you getting 28mpg - 31mpg ??????

I struggle to get average 24mpg and most of my journeys are to and from work as follows....

1.5 miles "A" road to motorway.

10 miles motorway M60 to M56.

3 miles on A road into small town.

1 mile of town driving.

Out of town and through a village.

2 more miles A road into work.

17 miles total. 10 on motorway. Sensible driving. I'm baffled. :duh:

Footnote : tyre pressures on my 182 wheels are 33psi all round.

Gary, I can't answer why I get that kind of mpg other than driving style. My work journeys are similar to yours; 4 miles of village/B road, 2 miles of dual carriageway (ie about 50 mph in rush hour at tops), then 2 miles of town. Probably do about 100-200 miles a week over that on social stuff, and that's likely to be mostly 50-60mph on A roads, 70 on duals/motorways, but no faster.

When I was looking at purchasing a Lex I was mindful of the kind of low-mid 20s mpg you are talking about. I expressed this reservation to a chum who said "If anyone can get 30 mpg out of it, it will be you". And indeed I do get the kind of mpg I mentioned, but I don't find it takes a special effort, nor have I changed my style since buying the car. My previous (hides head in shame) petrol 2 litre Mondeo gave me 44 mpg on average, and Mrs Dipstick is not allowed to see the trip button on the GS now as the frequency of her voice rises in inverse proportion to the increase in consumption.

I guess it's about anticipation, using the brakes as little as possible, the usual old stuff. I never speed consistently at all, and use the cruise as much as possible.

That's not to say that judicious use of the ECT button and a spot of double kick down doesn't go amiss sometimes too, and have seen something well over triple figures on the speedo by accident once or twice for a few seconds on those occasions.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links