Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

I picked up my 96 LS400 on Sunday, but before I drive it anymore I wanted to get the timing belt done as it was last done at around 60k miles in 1999, so its well over due time wise.

I rang my local dealer, and the parts department quoted me £541.20 (nearly fell off my chair) just for the kit which included all the tensioners, pulleys and water pump.

I then spoke to the Service manager who said he could do the Timing belt and change the coolant for 520 including VAT, when I asked what was included he said only the timing belt, no need to change anything else, and if I wanted the water pump doing it would be another 100 so a total of 620. But he isnsisted the other parts don't need changing, and he was giving me a discount on the labour as its a big job.

Whats everyones opinion on this? I know i can source an apparently Genuine Lexus Kit from the USA for around £300 inclusive of all import duty and VAT and get it done from a good independent for around £200 labour. Costing around 500 in total.

Where do people stand on the non Genuine kits ( a lot cheaper) like the SKF and Gates etc? has anyone used them? and if so has anyone had any problems with premature failure?

Thanks,

Azeem

I would go with Lexus on those prices.

Also better should things go wrong, your mates mate wont be able to offer you a courtesy car while they sort any problems out.

Apart from tyres, water and oils I think I would always use Lexus parts, but that's just me. Mike

My Mechanic in Swindon- ex-Lexus mechanic - did timing belt change with 3 hours labour.

Did not change water pump (engine on 135K) no problems since.

All I I think it was just shy of £300.

Used genuine parts, so seemed like a good deal to me, and will always use genuine parts for major running gear and engine work.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I just got an update from the dealer. He reckons to change timing belt including the water pump, idlers, tensioner pulleys etc and new coolant would be roughly 1200 to 1400. I think I will source the parts and then get it done from a trusted indy.

Messi

Coventry is tempting but it's just too far and I have nothing to do all day.

Thanks

Azeem.

Surely if you took it Coventry it would be worth the wait knowing you had someone who knew what they were doing and using the genuine parts. Look at the long haul. A few hours hanging around, job done. Good price.You would not regret it. Tom

• Like 1

Yes I understand that and i've given it a lot of thought. But I'm sure if I rang them and asked what the total cost of replacing the timing belt and all associated ancillaries including water pump, etc it would be a lot higher than the 300 quoted above, add to that the day I take off work and the cost of petrol etc to get there and back then I'm probably not that far off 1200 to 1400 as quoted by my local lexus garage.

Oh and the added risk of driving the car that far (around 150 miles) with a timing belt that's been on the car since 1999. I just think it's a bit too much for a job that can be done for around half the price by a good independent garage.

Don't get me wrong I would l definitely prefer to go the dealer route and if Coventry wasnt so far i would definately go for it.

Unfortunately the other thing is that all the lexus dealerships local to me are part of the same group (RRG) so I'm sure probably not wrong in thinking they will all charge around the same for the work.

My other concern is the service manager was adamant that I don't need to change the idlers etc only the belt, water pump and coolant. Is this correct?

What you have to remember is that your average cambelt change for other cars cost around the same as a Lexus. Bet the Mark3 will give you 60000 miles between changes, and the Mark4 and 430 will; give 100000 miles.

Azeem, I went with a good independant who was ex- Lexus. He recommended using the full kit; i.e. tensioner, idler, etc. for peace of mind. The belt was Lexus, the tensioner, idler, etc., was Blueprint oem quality. The waterpump was Aisin oem. All done for £625. Lexus quoted me £1135. After the job he showed me the parts he took off. The old tensioner pulley had noticeable 'play' in it so that you could rattle it. The old idler was slightly stiffer to turn than a new one, so I was glad I replaced all the parts. Probably the only part you could leave out would be the hydraulic tensioner, (which is different to the tensioner pulley). You could safely re-use the old hydraulic tensioner, once re-primed.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian. I got a quote today off a local independent that had done a fair bit of work for me in the past. He quoted 150 to 200 for labour. Just waiting for him to get back to me with regards to sourcing a genuine kit.

Just rhought I would update. Purchased a genuine kit of eBay usa and it shouls be here by the end of January I hope. Local garage quoted me labour of 200 including a general check over of the car as its been stood for so long. So all being well I should have the lexus on the road in a couple of weeks .

The belt was Lexus, the tensioner, idler, etc., was Blueprint oem quality.

I am sorry to tell you this but Blueprint is NOT oem at all.

You have to be very careful about this as they are just a packaging company and it is a lucky dip as to what parts are actually inside the box

Taken from their website: http://www.blueprint-adl.co.uk/products.htm

Blue Print is the leading brand of aftermarket parts for Japanese, Korean and American vehicles. The

Blue Print range contains over 20,000 part numbers in more than 100

different product groups. The range not only covers every mainstream

Japanese and Korean model, but also many derivatives, “platform shared”

European vehicles, Japanese “Grey” Imports and UK specification American

Vehicles.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links