Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Worth The Upgrade From Is250 To Is300H?!

Hi all!

I currently own a 59 plate Lexus IS250 SE-L and I love it. The only downsides are the fairly dismal fuel economy (my commute to work is a 2 mile, 5-15 minute drive depending on shift) and the design and interior does feel a little aged at times.

When the IS300h was announced my interest was extremely high but I wasn't in a financial position to make a move.

Fast forwarding to now, a few days ago I traveled to my not so local Lexus dealer where I bought my current IS from and took out the IS300h F Sport for what was meant to be an hour or so test drive. I signed the paperwork, they gave me the keys and I was free to enjoy. As you can probably guess, I returned not one hour later, but three!

First impressions were extremely good. The looks translated from brochure into metal fantastically and the interior was every bit as classy as I expected. Driving wise I've driven a CVT car (although not a great one) before in the form of a Dodge so I knew what to expect there but hybrid tech is totally new to me. I was impressed. The power didn't feel particularly sluggish at all and the handling and ride was every bit what I wanted it to be. I took it on the motorway, country lanes and even to Tesco to get a full feel and found it engaging and thoroughly enjoyable.

I returned with a smile on my face and sat down to discuss options. I've been offered a very good trade in for my car, almost what I'd be selling it for privately (I imagine this would be difficult anyway - not many want a thirsty saloon now!) which is great and I've been offered the car of my spec for £37,300. I make the options I have/want to be list at £39,700 (ML sound, Premium Nav, upgraded Leather seats, Ultra Blue paint and Superguard protection). This is on a PCP deal at 5.9% APR.

Question is, £37,300 (well, £39,700) is a lot to be looking at on a car and there's a whole heap of motors - including cheaper ones - out there. Is it worthwhile? (I'm asking on a Lexus forum and as a Lexus owner you can probably tell where most of my feeling are already..!)

Also, as a side note, does anyone have any tips of things to ask for to sweeten the deal if I was going to proceed? I do like those chronograph watches... :winky:

This was their blanket first offer and I was surprised by the knock off of list and have confirmed it does include the above options!

A final option is to wait for the new CT F Sport to hit showrooms and check that out..?!

Thanks in advance!

There are so many similarities in your post to my situation it's scary. I had an 07 IS250 SE MM and loved it (in fact I sold it to a colleague at the trade in price). I have a short commute to work and the difference in mpg with the 300h is amazing. I have nearly halved my petrol expenditure (but am still entitled to claim 45p a mile for my business mileage :whistling: as it's my own car).

I wasn't intending to do anything until summer 2014 but ended up with the F Sport on 1st Sept 2013. Completely sold on the improvements in ride and handling. It really does waft around if you want it to, or whack it in S and have some fun. The LFA inspired gauge is great and all the little changes you can make to the instrument cluster display adds to the fun.

There are some niggles, the door pockets are not as "chunky" and don't pull forward, the boot lid is light, the cupholders and access to the under armrest storage bin a bit tricky, no roof gutters mean rains runs into the car a bit BUT these are IMO minor niggles.

There are undoubtedly issues with the infotainment system, Bluetooth audio wasn't 100% for me until a software upgrade arrived, and the phone favourites list still drops. Annoying but not enough to put me off buying the car (although obviously I didn't know about them until afterwards!)

The nav and full leather for me was a no brainer, and little things like auto dipping mirrors on reverse and auto folder on locking are both touches I didn't have on the 250. Auto lights and wipers are new for me too.

I also went for the Supagard which on reflection I'm not sure about. I never read anyone rave about it, in fact pretty much every comment I have read suggests it's a waste of money. I did also buy the tyre and alloy insurance and that is definitely something I am really pleased about. The F Sport wheels are gorgeous but kerb them and weep :crying:. I've been unfortunate (or stupid :wacko:) enough to need to claim twice and apart from the fact they have to take them away to get the colour right I am delighted with the results. The premium was £500 and it gives max £100 per wheel per claim and an upper overall limit of £1,000 over the 3 year period covered. No excess. For me, an excellent purchase and whilst I hope not to need to claim again, I suspect I will need to. Especially if I decide to trade in in 3 years time :whistling::whistling: .

Is it worthwhile you ask? Only you can answer that but I am very pleased I took the plunge. Would I wait for the CT? You must be joking.

Oh, finally the chronograph watch. I said to my dealer that wouldn't it be good if he gave me one so I could advertise the brand not only whilst driving but also when in the office etc. He agreed and so I have one. If you are a watch freak don't get too excited its only a quartz, not an nice automatic with a Swiss movement. But hey, it does only retail for £100 so what d'you expect.

:offtopic: When I went with my daughter to get her new A1 I tried to get them to throw in their watch. That does have a proper Swiss movement and I was singularly unsuccessful in my negotiations.

:phone: Just had a call from my dealer, car in on Monday for the next software update..

Hope this helps.

OK firstly dont pay for the supagard! Its not worth what they charge you for it. And £37900 is too much for that car. Get atleast a £3k discount if not more!

I bought mine new and got £5k off and that was before the car came out. If they say anything less than £3k, walk out and buy the car from another dealer or Autoebid, which is giving a minimum £3k discount on the IS300h

• 2 weeks later...

As regards the Supagard, when I negotiated my IS300h Luxury last year I was told I would have a free monthly valet whilst I had the car (inside & out), so for me it was well worth it. I've had the car since 31st July, it's kept clean and I haven't washed it once!

As regards my experience of the car, well I love it. The fuel economy may not be quite as good as I'd hoped, but it's still reasonable, and certainly a lot better than my old IS250. I know it will also improve when the weather warms up. Is it worth the money, well I'm not sure, but I'm still pleased I bought it and would likely do so again. The dealer is also fantastic with after sales attention being as good as the pre sales which is not always the case elsewhere. I guess that's what you pay for.

As regards the Supagard, when I negotiated my IS300h Luxury last year I was told I would have a free monthly valet whilst I had the car (inside & out), so for me it was well worth it. I've had the car since 31st July, it's kept clean and I haven't washed it once!

As regards my experience of the car, well I love it. The fuel economy may not be quite as good as I'd hoped, but it's still reasonable, and certainly a lot better than my old IS250. I know it will also improve when the weather warms up. Is it worth the money, well I'm not sure, but I'm still pleased I bought it and would likely do so again. The dealer is also fantastic with after sales attention being as good as the pre sales which is not always the case elsewhere. I guess that's what you pay for.

You may think its worth it till you realise how many scratches the car has on it a few years later or in the summer!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links