Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am getting a 'groaning' noise on left and right steering lock when starting off in the morning in my Mk 4 LS400. This seems to

stop when the engine warms up. Could it be to do with one of the belts being loose ? Or any other suggestions.

it could be - to get a better idea - pop the bonnet - ask someone to turn to full lock and then see watch and listen and see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

everything is driven by one belt - the drive or serpentine belt - have a look at the underside of it to see if its worn or cracked.

if it needs changing you can easily do it yourself - there is a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfCvXeIWZcE

Many thanks Cruisermark and Cotswold Pete. I had checked the fluid reservoir and it looked OK but

on further inspection (after your advice) the dip stick is dry. I will buy some fluid and see if it corrects the problem.

Anthony, you should use Dextron 2 or 3 (ATF) in the power steering resovoir and fill up to the 'cold' mark.. This is recommended in the handbook. When looking for a leak, look to see if there is any P/S fluid dripping or sprayed onto the alternator which is next to the P/S pump.. Could be costly and wreck your alternator. If it turns out to be a seal somewhere that's leaking, you could try putting some 'stop leak' type additive in the fluid. Much cheaper than a rebuilt/new steering rack or pump.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links