Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Miles Per Tank 400H

Has anyone managed to get over 500 miles from a tank?

The last few tank fills I've managed between 460 and 470 miles with the needle in the middle of the R and still only managed to squeeze in 60ltrs.

Anyone ever completely run out?

I'm going for the 500 with this tank full and a can of petrol in the boot! Will let you know if I make it by the end of the week.

Just one of those things I need to do to prove it can be done. :)

My wife drove to Harrogate at the weekend and I've just drove to work trying in vain not to use the petrol engine, just checked at the MPG is avg 24! I'm hoping it will improve - I was hoping for around 30.

24MPG seems low. Have you tried resetting to zero since you picked up your car - which I believe was quite recently?

It could just be that your average is impaired by the fuel consumption of the previous owner who may not have driven the car as economically as you are tryng to.

After searching on the web, it seems you can't reset your avg fuel without performing the ISC procedure? Is it safe to do this? Should this only be done when replacing or reconnecting the Battery or am I ok to go ahead?

What does it do exactly?

Good point Dan - thanks i'll do that tonight :) what are you/others getting btw for comparison?

A 200 mile jaunt around Devon yesterday, returned 32 mpg.

I bought my '08 400h on 1st Feb and as soon as I got it home I went to my usual petrol station, made a note of the mileage and filled the tank. Insert petrol nozzle as far as it will fit and hold trigger 'til it stops filling. Remove pump.

I've used the same pump, at the same station since then and kept all my receipts ( I claim for business use, so not quite as anal as it seems!) Filled up again in the same way on Saturday and to date I have covered 1014 miles and used 37.8 gallons (171.86 ltrs), full tank to full tank.

If my maths don't desert me I reckon that to be 26.82 MPG. That's about 80% urban use, shopping, work, etc and 20% longer trips. On the last fill I did a measured 307 miles and got 26.35 MPG - the trip computer told me I'd got 29.1 MPG and it's seems to have been consistently optimistic by about 3 MPG.

All this is assuming the speedo odometer is accurate - which I don't think it is. It feels a lot slower travelling at 30MPH in the RX than it did for the same indicated speed in my 3 series Beemer - so if the speedo is also optimistic then the MPG is even worse.

Dan

Hi Dan

The on-board fuel computer is always optimistic. Mine is around 2 to 3mpg out too.

The speedo will read over (by design) but the odometer is accurate.

MPG on a hybrid can vary greatly depending on driving style but yours does seem a little low. Do you notice the engine cutting out when you come to a stop or is it always running? Also worth checking one wheel isn't overly hot once you have made a trip in case one of your brakes is binding slightly.

Over the last 3 days commuting to work which is only about a 4 mile each way trip (so I should imagine the engine only just gets warm) - I've avg 25 mpg, which doesn't sound too bad around town? Have yet to take it on a trip but I might be going to Derby at the weekend.

Done it!

Managed 512 miles on one tank.

Filled up with needle at the bottom of the R with 62 ltrs. By my maths that's 14.62 gallons so an average of 35.02 MPG

I think the main reason I achieved this was no motorway miles. Probably never went over 60 mph. Just wanted to prove to myself that it was achievable. Back to normal driving now.

4.5 Litres = 1 gallon

62 / 4.5 = 13.78 gallons

512miles / 13.78 = 37.15mpg

someones maths is out somewhere

It's my maths! Your spot on, hate calculators on mobiles. 37mpg even better, though just a one off as I normally get around 450 miles per tank, 32 mpg

Ha ha, well aye its 37.48mpg as apposed to 37.15, if you want to split hairs, I just rounded it off as everyone and their dog does, bit like saying Pi is 3.142 instead of 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209 et al, if you want to be exact.

It's small yes but at just under 1% the chancellor would regard that as significant and material - about the level of an NHS pay award :)

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

The on-board fuel computer is always optimistic. Mine is around 2 to 3mpg out too.

But shouldn't it be more accurate? The ECU should know EXACTLY how much fuel is going into the engine as it controls the injectors and the odometer must be right, so the calculation should be spot-on. Or does the computer calculate it another way?

Surely us trying to fill the tank to exactly the same point every time is much more likely to be prone to error?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links